Elmer T. Lee BUB

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've only ever seen it in photos online. Did you manage to find one? If so how does it taste?

Edited by EarthQuake

No I didn't find one..was just surfing and came across this. Not for sale either, just on whiskeyid.com 

Edited by FasterHorses

I think that was a batch bourbon back then, early '90's, '80's maybe. I could be wrong. 

Edited by LCWoody

I've never owned one, but have seen and tasted it thanks to a fellow member here. Amped up ETL, (107 proof) in an indeed ugly bottle. This was followed by the (pain in the a**) gold wax, squat bottle, 90 proof version. I had a few of those, and they were a b**ch to open. The gold wax was thankfully replaced by foil.  There was some discussion about all this in the link below. It's also been mentioned in a few other older threads/posts.

Biba! Joe

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I've never owned one, but have seen and tasted it thanks to a fellow member here. Amped up ETL, (107 proof) in an indeed ugly bottle. This was followed by the (pain in the a**) gold wax, squat bottle, 90 proof version. I had a few of those, and they were a b**ch to open. The gold wax was thankfully replaced by foil.  There was some discussion about all this in the link below. It's also been mentioned in a few other older threads/posts.

Biba! Joe

Great informative thread there Joe..thanks.  Now I've gone down a rabbit hole reading Ken Weber's old posts. Does this count when people ask me if I read?

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

The ETL bottle is very similar to the old JD 12y bottle. I think the bottom is a little different. EAF3675B-81BE-4055-82CC-DFDA19214E3D.thumb.jpeg.b0661c11b553b366c4b087ef8d849764.jpeg

Is that your stash LC? The bottom of the ETL bottle looks more rounded but fairly similar. ETL may even be opaque?

Its not great - looks more like an olive oil bottle.  But its not as repulsive as a GTS or ER "wine" bottle container. 

21 minutes ago, musekatcher said:

Its not great - looks more like an olive oil bottle.  But its not as repulsive as a GTS or ER "wine" bottle container. 

Where's the "thumbs down" button at on this forum? 

Those btac bottles are super elegant and take up very little shelf space.

Win-win-win!

:P

Edited by 0895

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Win-win-win!

They require a pretty darned tall shelf, but do only take up minimal room horizontally, for sure.     I finally had to install a couple wall-mounted shelves (way far apart) to accommodate the BTAC bottles.

5 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Is that your stash LC? The bottom of the ETL bottle looks more rounded but fairly similar. ETL may even be opaque?

yes, that's in one of my cabinets. 

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

They require a pretty darned tall shelf, but do only take up minimal room horizontally, for sure.     I finally had to install a couple wall-mounted shelves (way far apart) to accommodate the BTAC bottles.

Darn for you and all that btac to find a home for:P

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I finally had to install a couple wall-mounted shelves (way far apart) to accommodate the BTAC bottles.

I wish I had that problem.

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

Where's the "thumbs down" button at on this forum? 

Win-win-win!

Nah.  I detest that they use E&J cabernet rejects to house fine bourbon.  Its humiliating.  Guests bring a $5 cab, I pull out a $200 bottle of bourbon, they look the same.  A whiskey bottle, especially a bourbon bottle, shouldn't look like some fru-fru wino bait.

stills.jpg.7ee63240d8630bb4150374f63c736a79.jpg

8 hours ago, bourbon4all said:

Darn for you and all that btac to find a home for:P

6 hours ago, Kane said:

I wish I had that problem.

Just to clarify (defend?) myself....

It isn't ONLY BTAC on these shelves.   I have several other brands that use tall bottles occupying about half the space.    There are Willet, as well as SAOS bottles (both of which are TALLER! than BTAC) on 'em as well.

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

Just to clarify (defend?) myself....

It isn't ONLY BTAC on these shelves.   I have several other brands that use tall bottles occupying about half the space.    There are Willet, as well as SAOS bottles (both of which are TALLER! than BTAC) on 'em as well.

hmmmmmmm. Yep. Still sounds like a good problem. now if it were Ceht or high west (especially Rocky mountain rye) than who really wants to make room for them

I'm still trying to find a shelf spot for this 1.75L Don Julio 1942 (CEHT tube for scale reference)-- but at least it's good for party tricks.

IMG_8629.thumb.jpg.ac4da5aa4fdf091fbb197f56c5cb5935.jpg

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, musekatcher said:

Nah.  I detest that they use E&J cabernet rejects to house fine bourbon.  Its humiliating.  Guests bring a $5 cab, I pull out a $200 bottle of bourbon, they look the same.  A whiskey bottle, especially a bourbon bottle, shouldn't look like some fru-fru wino bait.

stills.jpg.7ee63240d8630bb4150374f63c736a79.jpg

A bourbon bottle shouldn't look like a pot still. It's a hokey one liner of a cop out that is old by the second time you look at it. Especially since the bourbon in the bottle wasn't distilled in a pot still. Instead, it was distilled in a column still which incidentally looks a lot like the BTAC bottle you detest. If anything, the E&J bottle is the imposter here.

But if you insist on the wine bottle comparison, then you've overlooked the Screaming Eagle bottle. That is no wino bait.

screaming eagle.jpg

Edited by flahute

7 hours ago, flahute said:

Ask 100 folks what is likely in a GTS, or ER bottle without the label visable.  Give them a multiple choice.  We know what 90% of  the answers will be, assuming 10 are bourbon fans.  But at least they aren't using champagne bottles:

image.thumb.png.09f806dc4dbb43cfc7d4088ecf4c1d86.png

I'm having fun - just a little harmless lampooning. 

4 hours ago, alcoholica said:

It's Bourbon Night Elmer T Lee Uncorking

Here's a link to a review i found

Well, despite the fact that the review went a little longer than I would have liked, and the music background was a bit distracting, I must admit this review was spot on devoid of meaningful content... 

I picked up 2 back in 2010. One now open and one bunkered. It is nice juice. Black painted bottle though.

bub.jpg

• I like it 2

Yeah, I never understood the reasoning for this black bottle.    However, I was never disappointed with the distillate contained therein.    I wish a had a few bunkered; but sadly, I do not.  :(

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.