Boilermaker!

Kane
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I guess this goes under cocktails. This is my favorite way to drink whiskey if I can't have it neat.

Through a combination of my peculiar circumstances I came to develop a taste for pairing,

1) high proof, spicy bourbons/ryes, with

2) cheap, simple, crisp, malty lagers/pilsners or similar.

Some of my staples are WT101, OGD114, Bulleit Rye, together with Yuengling, Pilsner Urquell, PBR, and Old Style (my favorite, gotta visit Chicago sometime).

I experimented a bit with different pours, too. Tried Blanton's and Booker's for the bourbon, but thought that they didn't really elevate the experience in a meaningful way, just doubled my tab. Similarly I tried better beers, but found that the flavor complexity was actually unwanted, it was a distraction. So I stick to my tried & tested combo these days.

Do you folks have any specific pairings that work especially well for you? Anyone tried a stout or gose in a boilermaker? Recommendations, fun experiments?

• I like it 1

I used to enjoy a boilermaker, but usually to help a modest bourbon.  Maybe Makers Mark and a weiss?  George Dickel and a brown?  Bulliet rye and a Guiness? 

In the broadest sense of the term as it is used today it qualifies for me.

"An alcoholic drink consisting of a spirit or spirits mixed with other ingredients, such as fruit juice or cream."

Plenty of cocktails these days that don't have a non alcoholic mixer included. I should know... :blink:

Although not necessarily the first thing I think of when considering a cocktail.

When you guys talk Boilermakers, are you dropping the whiskey in the beer or just using the whiskey as a chaser? 

1 hour ago, Fishin49er said:

When you guys talk Boilermakers, are you dropping the whiskey in the beer or just using the whiskey as a chaser? 

A boilermaker in the US tends to be different from the UK (where i think it is a blend of beers) and perhaps other places. I think it can be mixed or as a chaser but what I think of traditionally is dropping the shot glass of whiskey in the beer and then drinking it. Haven't had one in a long time and it may well be a long time before I have it again. Rather than trying to make average beer and/or whiskey better by blending I think I will just stick to good beer and good whiskey but keep them in their own glasses!

Oh, I meant the beer as a chaser. Blending like that never made sense to me. My whiskey picks are excellent sippers already, wouldn't want to drown them like that.

9 hours ago, Kane said:

Oh, I meant the beer as a chaser. Blending like that never made sense to me. My whiskey picks are excellent sippers already, wouldn't want to drown them like that.

Now we're on the same page.  Follow a big bourbon with an easy drinking beer.

If you like PBR and Old Style; I can suggest Stroh's or Hamm's too.  Hamm's is more of a light beer.

I also think cream ales work well here.

I'm exactly with tanstaafl2 on every point. I haven't had a boilermaker since 1979, and it will be perfectly fine if I never have another.

We always made them dropping the shot glass into the beer. To me, having whiskey with a beer chaser is just... having whiskey with a beer chaser.

Tim

5 hours ago, ratcheer said:

I'm exactly with tanstaafl2 on every point. I haven't had a boilermaker since 1979, and it will be perfectly fine if I never have another.

We always made them dropping the shot glass into the beer. To me, having whiskey with a beer chaser is just... having whiskey with a beer chaser.

Tim

I'm with Tm, as well as Bruce.     The only difference I'd ask with Tim's statement is that my 'last' (I assume) Boiler Maker made in "the correct fashion", was about 1969 or so.    I have, on one or two occasions, in the interim made a slightly different one (mixing into the beer, rather than dropping the shot glass); but, that too stopped in about 1971.    ...The year of my marriage to the best girl I ever met, who disapproved of pointless drunkenness.   She still does.

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...

I usually keep my Whiskey and beer separate for a boilermaker but sometimes I combine for simplicity's sake. I tend to use cheaper or less special/exclusive offerings for boilermakers as well. 

One good boilermaker I had was Anderson Valley bourbon barrel stout brewed here in CA paired with WT101. The beer is brewed with WT barrels so it is a natural combo. 

I had a pint of Drake's 1500 pale ale (also a CA brewery) with a pour of Jameson at the airport before leaving for Ireland last year too. I don't remember if it was actually good but it was fun and memorable anyways. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.