Any Hidden Gems Here?

bayouredd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The pictures aren't great, but there are so many of you that recognize so many things by pieces of bottle or label, that I thought the gallery might point out a direction. Here are a couple shots of choices that I haven't tried. I was wondering if any of these were "stop the bus" choices. I know that I have seen a few grab the Old Scout, recently; how about any others.

Prices seem good, The Smooth Ambler at $36. There was a Weller Antique at $32. Sorry I didn't get a good picture of the KCSB 2001.

What say the gallery???

ls1.jpg

ls2.jpg

ls3.jpg

ls4.jpg

A lot of it would be price dependent for me. But I don't see much that would make me briefly pump the brakes much less stop! SA can be good but the American Whiskey and Contradiction, while perhaps potentially interesting to try, aren't at the top of the list of SA bottles. I thought the Belle Meade age stated 9yo Sherry was good if you like a finished whiskey depending on cost and better than any of the other NAS finished whiskies they have done. Stagg Jr is usually good and HW RR, Barton FP, Larceny and even Mellow Corn at the right price might warrant you look since you haven't tried them.

But just my 2 cents!

There's a second Belle Meade bottle between the Larceny and EC SmB that I can't see enough of the label to see which version.  I have the 10 year Bourbon that I like.  

None of the bottles jump out as "must haves", but all the bottles mentioned so far are worthwhile at a good price.  I'd skip the SA too, I've had it and it's nothing special, unlike its older cousins.

Are all of those bottles sitting in a window?

There's what appears to be a Four Roses store pick single barrel behind the SAOS AW.  That'd be worth checking out.  Can't really go wrong with any 4R pick.

Rendezvous Rye is always a solid choice if less than $60.  More so if the batches are older than 2016.

Also, what kind of store displays bourbon for sale like this???

Edited by 0895

I like several of the 1792 variants, so the 1792FP would get a good hard look if the price was right, along with the StJr.   Both aren't available throughout the year.   IMHO @$40 and $50-55 respectively - at least in the areas I usually  find myself bourbon surfin'.

Thanx for the answers gang! I'll have to get the prices posted for the next one I pick up. I was actually there to get a Blanton's but I am a couple days early...

As far as the question, are they in a window, that answer is no. That setup is actually the darkest part of the small store. There is actually an amber hue to the whole place and it is kinda dark in there.

What kind of store displays like this; you ask? Well it is very small and cluttered. I have to keep my elbows tucked in or I will have to buy a couple things that I don't want. It is more of a wine shop with mid to top shelf bourbon than vice versa...

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

There's what appears to be a Four Roses store pick single barrel behind the SAOS AW.  That'd be worth checking out.  Can't really go wrong with any 4R pick.

Rendezvous Rye is always a solid choice if less than $60.  More so if the batches are older than 2016.

Also, what kind of store displays bourbon for sale like this???

Do you know for certain that it changed after 2016? I emailed HW on this but no one replied. 

Not pictured, but the OWA (maroon label, 107 proof?) at $32 is a no brainer, especially if you haven’t had it before. Stagg Jr. under $65 would also be good. Lastly, if that is indeed a FR store pick (the one with the “OZUBA” on the label) is grab that in the $65 range. 

Edited by Charlutz

That's a Kozuba & Sons Mr. Rye, (some Kozuba/Poland association with the Barrell Rye Batch 002). Never had the Florida-based liquid-- might be worth a try.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Do you know for certain that it changed after 2016? I emailed HW on this but no one replied. 

The only thing I know for certain is my palate and the 6 or so  bottles of it I've consumed in the last few years.

Don't get me wrong.  The new batches are perfectly good.  I like them.

I just like the older ones better.

• I like it 1

Pensacola in the house!!!! Haha I love it. You're at the wine shop in Seville right?? They had x2 MWND a few weeks ago and a Michter's 10yr. My buddy sent me the same pic and grabbed the M10 for me :)

Sorry - to answer your question I'd definitely get the Stagg Jr, the OWA, and I think there's an EC Small Batch behind the SAOS in the first pic? Get him too.

The Angel's Rye is one of my favorites. Heard a rumor that they might be changing the barreling finish to a Bacardi barrel on the next release.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.