EH Four Grain 2018 Release

Dom
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If I remember correctly, didn’t BT say the 2018 would be a 13 year old? Interesting that the back label still says 12 years. 

May not have been worth the effort to change the label. If it is 13 years old then it is definitely 12 years old! Don't know for sure but all sources seem to indicate this is the same distillate that has been aged another year or so.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried both the 17 release year ( i have a bottle) and the 18 at a bar in Vegas - I must say that I really like the 17 best , the 18 was good but wasn't impressed but then...hold on the finish came a little later and then, I had to ponder is the 18 better?  The 17 release is my favorite, and I am looking for 18 release in CA have been told many times that it is delayed.  Worried that this will come and go without me scoring this year's release.  

I finally got around to doing a side-by-side comparison between the '17 EHT 4G and the 'new' release.     Following are my impressions.....

Color: identical; rich red/amber.

Legs(after an identical 'string of tiny pearls' ring): identical; slow, but not really viscous legs.

Nose: here I did find a subtle difference (which may be explained by the '17 having been open and lowered by a bit over half the volume over the last 9 months or so...you may use your own judgement about that), with the '18 having a slight but noticeably "mustier" undertone; other wise pretty similar.

Palate: quite similar, with the '18 being a bit sharper, and slightly less well-integrated; both were enjoyable; but the '17 seemed a slightly better balanced and subtler nuanced pour; but between you and me and the fence post, the differences I found may all be due to the 'air-time' in the '17; or due to me searching desperately to find any differences at all.

Overall, I preferred the '17 by a narrow margin; but, I have decided not to pour the '18 down the drain ... Ha!

• I like it 4

Thanks for posting your side by side ???? I think you're correct with the airtime and how much air is or was in one's bottle.  I agree with you about the 17 being a little better...curious to see how the 18 (this year's) will fair after it's been on more air later on.   Again Richnimrod for your post!  

Nice SBS comparison rich. I missed the boat in MI, but I’m hoping I didn’t in Ohio. Does any Ohio people know if the 4grain came and gone? State of Ohio is so weird with limited edition bottles. Enjoying some EHT small batch in the meantime.

I had a pour in a bar ($10) and enjoyed it. I’d put it on par with the ceht single barrels I’ve had. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got around to cracking this one open last night.  I'll have to go back and revisit but it exceeded my expectations (which were lowered given the fairly blah reviews it had been receiving).

I liked the taste I had of the 2017. It was very nice whiskey.

What I liked a lot less was Texas' distributor decision to send it all to bars and restaurants, and zero to retail. 

I settled on my taste, and let it go.

Taking it a step further this year and letting it go, without the taste.

But I do appreciate Rich's review, and know he will enjoy both of those bottles. Cheers!

Just now, The Black Tot said:

I liked the taste I had of the 2017. It was very nice whiskey.

What I liked a lot less was Texas' distributor decision to send it all to bars and restaurants, and zero to retail. 

I settled on my taste, and let it go.

Taking it a step further this year and letting it go, without the taste.

But I do appreciate Rich's review, and know he will enjoy both of those bottles. Cheers!

If you're around the GN next Spring Sampler, you can taste the '18.    PM me, a week or so before the Sampler weekend, and I'll be sure to bring it with.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.