Whistlepig 10 Yr SB Question

CUfan99
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Whistle Pig is doing a neat thing on a limited basis where they are letting people blend their own barrel. They send samples of their ryes with different barrel finishes. Port, Sherry, Sauternes and Bourbon and you blend your own barrel. X% of this and X% of that etc. 

I had one retailer that did one that was about 60% Sauternes and it was pretty spectacular. 

• 1 month later...

I've had all these excepting the Farmstock version, and the Barrel Strength outdoes them all in my meager opinion. It is now one of my favorites.

They had a nice variety to choose from. Passed on all.
IMG_0180.thumb.JPG.99c733e31f694ceb92680e35bfc3ba75.JPG

That Farmstock is $100 in my neck of the woods.

21 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Wow, batch 2 actually seems to have gone down in price from batch 1 here, I've seen it as low as $65 but having tasted it at WP tasting room I can't say I'm even a little tempted to pick one up. 

Wow, batch 2 actually seems to have gone down in price from batch 1 here, I've seen it as low as $65 but having tasted it at WP tasting room I can't say I'm even a little tempted to pick one up. 

You’re in the land of big chain liquor stores if I recall correctly. Every store in Tennessee has to buy inventory on a store by store basis, so not as many big volume discounts like what happens when buyers are buying for multiple stores on one order.

3 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

You’re in the land of big chain liquor stores if I recall correctly. Every store in Tennessee has to buy inventory on a store by store basis, so not as many big volume discounts like what happens when buyers are buying for multiple stores on one order.

Yep many large chains, interestingly the chains don't always have the best pricing though. 

Interesting, that's the first time I've seen a Barrel Strength that isn't a store pick. Looks like that will become a regular product now, which is great news!

I wonder if this Barrel Strength bottle is MGP too?

20 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I like their little play on words - Bottled in Barn. 

On 11/21/2018 at 10:24 AM, EarthQuake said:

Interesting, that's the first time I've seen a Barrel Strength that isn't a store pick. Looks like that will become a regular product now, which is great news!

I wonder if this Barrel Strength bottle is MGP too?

It says Canada on the label.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

It says Canada on the label.

Yeah the thing that gives me pause is that the MGP sourced single barrel store picks say Canada on the label too. I'll have to try and track one down and find out for myself. :D

Edited by EarthQuake

On 11/27/2018 at 12:18 AM, EarthQuake said:

Yeah the thing that gives me pause is that the MGP sourced single barrel store picks say Canada on the label too. I'll have to try and track one down and find out for myself. :D

I just bought a single barrel Store pick and there is no mention of the state or country of distillation. 

9 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

I just bought a single barrel Store pick and there is no mention of the state or country of distillation. 

Interesting. I have two right now, one I bought a little over a year ago and another from a different store a couple months ago. Both have slightly different labels, but both mention "Imported from Canada" or something like that at the bottom of the back label.

Edited by EarthQuake

• 1 month later...
I went to a LLS yesterday and the owner was showing me this Whistlepig bottle. He said the only way to get them was to order an entire barrel. He had a customer ask for a barrel, and then didn't buy all the bottles. He was ticked the guy didn't take them all. That must have been the deal. Anyway, is it true that all WPSB's are store picks? My main question; is it worth the $80 he's asking for a bottle?

I have no clue on the barrel part, but I say absolutely yes WP is worth the $80! It is my personal favorite rye and my go to as the standard
  • I like it 1

WP SiB 10yr store pick, 119.1 pf - $75.99 OTD!  Got a case after trying it on several occasions.  And there's more hiding there.  Great stuff this Alberta rye (heh, heh).   ☺️

• I like it 3

On 1/4/2019 at 8:44 AM, GeeTen said:

WP SiB 10yr store pick, 119.1 pf - $75.99 OTD!  Got a case after trying it on several occasions.  And there's more hiding there.  Great stuff this Alberta rye (heh, heh).   ☺️

I’ve never had a bad SB WP pick and some of them have been really great. Good price too as when I see it they’re usually right at $90. A lot of recent reports indicate a bunch of the store picks are really MGP and not Alberta Distillers. I did recently get a 14 year old store pick that the store said was Alberta though. 

My friend picked up a store pick from NYC for me. 13 year, 120 proof, MGP, $100. Of this was the same juice in a Willett bottle, it would be $300.

3 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

My friend picked up a store pick from NYC for me. 13 year, 120 proof, MGP, $100. Of this was the same juice in a Willett bottle, it would be $300.

True, but it wouldn't be aged in Willett's warehouses in that particular microclimate, nor in their selected barrels.

Vermont ain't Kentucky.

Not that I participate in Willett pricing these days either - but the distillate is just the start.

Also, these were $65 last year.

On 1/5/2019 at 2:50 PM, JoeTerp said:

I’ve never had a bad SB WP pick and some of them have been really great. Good price too as when I see it they’re usually right at $90. A lot of recent reports indicate a bunch of the store picks are really MGP and not Alberta Distillers. I did recently get a 14 year old store pick that the store said was Alberta though. 

I wish they would mark that the source was mgp instead of taking a clerk's word for it.

1 hour ago, Bbstout said:

I wish they would mark that the source was mgp instead of taking a clerk's word for it.

Frankly it's kind of shocking that they would intentionally not comply with labeling regs when they have had issues there in the past.

Yeah it's pretty weird. Honestly though, for 10+ year barrel proof MGP or ADL at $80 - I'm not complaining. But I tend to like both so it's not really a risk.

How can WhistlePig continue to not label the state or country of distillation? How do they continue to get label approval?

37 minutes ago, KyleCBreese said:

How can WhistlePig continue to not label the state or country of distillation? How do they continue to get label approval?

My WP Straight Rye Whiskey SiB 10 yr 116.8 proof says on the back label, in all caps, "AGED AND BOTTLED BY GOAMERICAGO BEVERAGES, LLC, SHOREHAM, VT. IMPORTED FROM CANADA."  Section 5.32 'Mandatory label information' of the Federal regulations covering labels on distilled spirits (27 CFR §5.32) says at § 5.32(b)(2) that, for imported spirits, the country of origin shall appear on the brand label or a back label "in accordance with §5.36".  I copied that section and pasted it below.  Based on a casual reading, it appears WP has put all the statements it is required to have on its label (e.g., bottled by, etc.) because it put "IMPORTED FROM CANADA" on the back label.  I suppose it could have included more info about Alberta Distillers and Beam Suntory, but I am not sure it is required by the regs.

27 CFR §5.36 (current as of Mar. 7, 2000) -

§5.36   Name and address.

(a) “Bottled by”. (1) On labels of domestic distilled spirits there shall be stated the phrase “bottled by”, “packed by”, or “filled by”, immediately followed by the name (or trade name) of the bottler and the place where such distilled spirits are bottled. If the bottler is the actual bona fide operator of more than one distilled spirits plant engaged in bottling operations, there may, in addition, be stated immediately following the name (or trade name) of such bottler the addresses of such other plants.

(2) Where distilled spirits are bottled by or for the distiller thereof, there may be stated, in lieu of the phrase “bottled by”, “packed by”, or “filled by”, followed by the bottler's name (or trade name) and address, the phrase “distilled by”, followed by the name, or the trade name under which the particular spirits were distilled, or (except in the case of distilled spirits labeled as bottled in bond) any trade name shown on the distiller's permit (covering the premises where the particular spirits were distilled), and the address (or addresses) of the distiller.

(3) Where “straight whiskies” of the same type which have been produced in the same State by two or more different distillers are combined (either at time of bottling or at a warehouseman's bonded premises for further storage) and subsequently bottled and labeled as “straight whisky,” such “straight whisky” shall be labeled in accordance with the requirements of paragraph (a)(1) of this section. Where such “straight whisky” is bottled by or for the distillers thereof, there may be stated on the label, in lieu of the requirements of paragraph (a)(1) of this section, the phraise “distilled by,” followed by the names (or trade names) of the different distillers who distilled a portion of the “straight whisky,” the addresses of the distilleries where the “straight whisky” was distilled, and the percentage of “straight whisky” distilled by each distiller (with a tolerance of plus or minus 2 percent). In the case where “straight whisky” is made up of a mixture of “straight whiskies” of the same type from two or more different distilleries of the same proprietor located within the same State, and where the “straight whisky” is bottled by or for the proprietor thereof, such “straight whisky” may be labeled, in lieu of the requirements of paragraph (a)(1) of the this section, with the phrase “distilled by” followed by the name (or trade name) of the proprietor and the addresses of the different distilleries which distilled a portion of the “straight whisky.”

(4) Where distilled spirits are bottled by or for the rectifier thereof, there may be stated, in lieu of the phrase “bottled by”, “packed by”, or “filled by”, followed by the bottler's name (or trade name) and address, the phrases “blended by”, “made by”, “prepared by”, “manufactured by”, or “produced by” (whichever may be appropriate to the act of rectification involved) followed by the name (or trade name), and the address (or addresses) of the rectifier.

(5) In addition to the requirements of paragraphs (a)(1) and (a)(2) of this paragraph, the labels of bottled in bond spirits shall bear the real name of the distillery or the trade name under which the distillery produced and warehoused the spirits, the number of the plant in which produced and the number of the plant in which bottled.

(6) The label may state the address of the proprietor's principal place of business in lieu of the place where the bottling, distilling or rectification operation occurred, if the address where the operation occurred is indicated by printing, coding, or other markings, on the label or on the bottle.

(b) “Imported by”. (1) On labels of imported distilled spirits, bottled prior to importation, there shall be stated the words “imported by”, “imported exclusively by”, or a similar appropriate phrase, and immediately thereafter the name of the importer, or exclusive agent, or sole distributor, or other person responsible for the importation, together with the principal place of business in the United States of such person.

(2) On labels of imported distilled spirits bottled after importation there shall be stated:

(i) The name of the bottler and place where bottled, immediately preceded by the words “bottled by”, “packed by”, or “filled by”; or

(ii) The name of the bottler and place where bottled, immediately preceded by the words “bottled by”, “packed by”, or “filled by” and in conjunction therewith the name and address of the person responsible for the importation, in the manner prescribed in paragraph (b)(1) of this section; or

(iii) The name and principal place of business in the United States of the person responsible for the importation, if the spirits are bottled for such person, immediately preceded by the phrase “imported by and bottled (packed), (filled) in the United States for” (or a similar appropriate phrase); or,

(iv) In the case of imported distilled spirits bottled after importation by the person responsible for the importation, the words “imported and bottled (packed), (filled) by”, “imported and bottled (packed), (filled) exclusively by”, or a similar appropriate phrase, and immediately thereafter the name of such person and the address of the place where bottled or the address of such person's principal place of business.

(c) Post office address. The “place” stated shall be the post office address, except that the street address may be omitted. No additional places or addresses shall be stated for the same person, firm or corporation, unless (1) such person or retailer is actively engaged in the conduct of an additional bona fide and actual alcoholic beverage business at such additional place or address, and (2) the label also contains in direct conjunction therewith, appropriate descriptive material indicating the function occurring at such additional place or address.

(d) State of distillation. Except in the case of “light whisky”, “blended light whisky”, “blended whisky”, “a blend of straight whiskies”, or “spirit whisky”, the State of distillation shall be shown on the label of any whisky produced in the United States if the whisky is not distilled in the State given in the address on the brand label. The appropriate TTB officer may, however, require the State of distillation to be shown on the label or he may permit such other labeling as may be necessary to negate any misleading or deceptive impression which might be created as to the actual State of distillation. In the case of “light whisky”, as defined in §5.22(b)(3), the State of distillation shall not appear in any manner on any label, when the appropriate TTB officer finds such State is associated by consumers with an American type whisky, except as a part of a name and address as set forth in paragraph (a) of this section.

(e) Country of origin. On labels of imported distilled spirits there shall be stated the country of origin in substantially the following form “Product of ______”, the blank to be filled in with the name of the country of origin.

(f) Trade names. The trade name of any permittee appearing on any label must be identical to the trade name listed on the permittee's basic permit.

(26 U.S.C. 7805 (68A Stat. 917, as amended); 27 U.S.C. 205 (49 Stat. 981, as amended))

[T.D. 7020, 34 FR 20637, Dec. 30, 1969, as amended by T.D. ATF-62, 44 FR 71621, Dec. 11, 1979; T.D. ATF-198, 50 FR 8464, Mar. 1, 1985; T.D. ATF-259, 52 FR 41423, Oct. 28, 1987; T.D. ATF-260, 52 FR 42101, Nov. 3, 1987; T.D. ATF-425, 65 FR 11891, Mar. 7, 2000]

I messaged WP on Twitter and also sent an email asking about the possibility of MGP Single barrels, have yet to hear back. @KyleCBreese maybe I'm wrong but didn't you get the 13 year MGP that was sold in NY? Does it still say product of Canada on the back label?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.