Whistlepig 10 Yr SB Question

CUfan99
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So the MGP pick says Canada and the other pick says nothing. I’m not sure what is going over there on the farm. 

Interesting, all of mine which were purchased a few years apart have basically the same back label despite the front label being the same, the most recent is the sealed one which I bought from their tasting room. 

y4mdTS8l0do6J9gEwkVmpAOIqURK13JUXnVoAvqd

y4m_sMhTdetqF-V391lDdZeH5jDDwW16U4d0V7Ze

On 1/14/2019 at 8:23 PM, kevinbrink said:

Interesting, all of mine which were purchased a few years apart have basically the same back label despite the front label being the same, the most recent is the sealed one which I bought from their tasting room. 

y4mdTS8l0do6J9gEwkVmpAOIqURK13JUXnVoAvqd

y4m_sMhTdetqF-V391lDdZeH5jDDwW16U4d0V7Ze

I'm guessing it's safe to say that the 120.6 sb is ADL Rye from the 100% rye upper left label. Nice if they marked them 95/5.

On 1/17/2019 at 1:01 PM, Bbstout said:

Has anyone had either of the TWCP store picks?

Screenshot_2019-01-17-09-09-24.jpg

Yes, I've had the 112.8. It is fantastic. I contacted TWCP and verified that it is MGP sourced as well, I assume the 115.8 is too.

6 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Yes, I've had the 112.8. It is fantastic. I contacted TWCP and verified that it is MGP sourced as well, I assume the 115.8 is too.

Thanks....looks like they are running low.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Thanks....looks like they are running low.

No problem, I am somewhat surprised they have lasted this long.

• 1 month later...

I have purchased 3 different bottlings of WP10 store picks in the last 6 months. I contacted Whistlepig and they confirmed they were all 13 years sourced by MGP. I'm guessing the barrels were purchased around 6 years ago. So these potentially aged in Indiana for 6 years and the rest in Vermont. Does this make sense? Seems like everyone is claiming their store picks are 12-14 years. Maybe they are riding on the MGP hype?

11 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

I have purchased 3 different bottlings of WP10 store picks in the last 6 months. I contacted Whistlepig and they confirmed they were all 13 years sourced by MGP. I'm guessing the barrels were purchased around 6 years ago. So these potentially aged in Indiana for 6 years and the rest in Vermont. Does this make sense? Seems like everyone is claiming their store picks are 12-14 years. Maybe they are riding on the MGP hype?

That's funny I reached out to them about the "MGP" store picks but they didn't respond back, it might have been the fact that I asked why their label still said imported from Canada on them....

• I like it 1

Well they're not all MGP.  I purchased a 14 year old from Alberta Distillers back in December.  I know that the Alberta distillate has always been for the normal 10 year old and that the MGP has usually been for the Old World or Boss Hog editions.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 CS bottles purchased several months apart. The standard 100% Canadian WP is what got me on the WP train in the first place. I know one of mine is Canadian and I hope the other is too, nothing against MGP but when I buy WP,its that Canadian profile I am looking for. Had I known there was any chance MGP was in the mix with the CS version I would have forgone the CS entirely and just bought 10/100 standard bottlings.

8 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

I have 2 CS bottles purchased several months apart. The standard 100% Canadian WP is what got me on the WP train in the first place. I know one of mine is Canadian and I hope the other is too, nothing against MGP but when I buy WP,its that Canadian profile I am looking for. Had I known there was any chance MGP was in the mix with the CS version I would have forgone the CS entirely and just bought 10/100 standard bottlings.

I helped a local store do a barrel pick last week, and we were told that all the SP this year are Canadian juice only. (We were hoping to get a MGP barrel) The WP rep said that they did have some MGP SP barrels last year, but they really didn't want to use MGP for that. All the MGP barrels are going to the WP 12y Old World project (regular & SP). So you should be good on buying WP SP this year. 

I have to say, I'm impressed with the Canadian juice we picked, very good. 

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

I'm a fan of the standard 10 year Canadian WP - but IMO these MGP store picks are on another level. So, I wouldn't be too disheartened, crack one open and you may be pleasantly surprised.

13 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I helped a local store do a barrel pick last week, and we were told that all the SP this year are Canadian juice only. (We were hoping to get a MGP barrel) The WP rep said that they did have some MGP SP barrels last year, but they really didn't want to use MGP for that. All the MGP barrels are going to the WP 12y Old World project (regular & SP). So you should be good on buying WP SP this year. 

I have to say, I'm impressed with the Canadian juice we picked, very good. 

More than they didn't want to use them for the Single Barrels they shouldn't have since most still stated product of Canada and none as far as I know listed Indiana....

18 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

I'm a fan of the standard 10 year Canadian WP - but IMO these MGP store picks are on another level. So, I wouldn't be too disheartened, crack one open and you may be pleasantly surprised.

I hear ya however It’s not an MGP issue on my part, I am well set with thier rye and a fan, my issue is that MGP ryes saturate the market yet there is, to my knowledge, only one place (in the US) to get Alberta distillery output in a 10 yr/100% package and thats WP. I seek WP specifically for that profile and that is what I expect to get. This is where the transparency thing rears its head, I like to know WTF I am buying and also why I largely avoid NDPs. The standard WP 10/100 is Canadian, I like it and that’s what I expect so if I am not getting that in the CS version, state it, then I am making an informed buying decision. 

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

I hear ya however It’s not an MGP issue on my part, I am well set with thier rye and a fan, my issue is that MGP ryes saturate the market yet there is, to my knowledge, only one place (in the US) to get Alberta distillery output in a 10 yr/100% package and thats WP. I seek WP specifically for that profile and that is what I expect to get. This is where the transparency thing rears its head, I like to know WTF I am buying and also why I largely avoid NDPs. The standard WP 10/100 is Canadian, I like it and that’s what I expect so if I am not getting that in the CS version, state it, then I am making an informed buying decision. 

Masterson's is also Alberta 10/100% but at a bit lower proof, I pick it up on occasion it reminds me more of Jefferson 10 year Rye than WP does which was the first Alberta Rye I fell for.

Edited by kevinbrink

2 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Masterson's is also Alberta 10/100% but at a bit lower proof, I pick it up on occasion it reminds me more of Jefferson 10 year Rye than WP does

Good to know, thank you for that, cheers!!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Good to know, thank you for that, cheers!!

There's also Lock Stock and Barrel 13, 16, 18, & Hochstadter's 16. All of these are ADL (Canada) sourced and in the same flavor family as WP10 and Masterson's.

Little Book #2 has some ADL rye in it too and is quite good, though is a bit different than the pure ADL sourced products of course as it's a blend.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Contacted WP last week to ask about my recent store pick of the 10yo rye and they told me in very nice ways that they could no longer answer my questions (about the provenance of the Rye and the age). 

The lady in the marketing team explained that a rumor had started spreading about 13 yo rye stuff in there and people started buying it en masse, selling it for profit on the secondary.... She was very nice and apologized for not being able to answer my questions.

40 minutes ago, Oli77 said:

Contacted WP last week to ask about my recent store pick of the 10yo rye and they told me in very nice ways that they could no longer answer my questions (about the provenance of the Rye and the age). 

The lady in the marketing team explained that a rumor had started spreading about 13 yo rye stuff in there and people started buying it en masse, selling it for profit on the secondary.... She was very nice and apologized for not being able to answer my questions.

The real issue for them is their labeling on the bottles if it is in fact the case that they are bottling MGP Single Barrels and not stating the state of distillation on the bottle and worse stating it is something it is not if the label still says it's a product of Canada.

18 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

The real issue for them is their labeling on the bottles if it is in fact the case that they are bottling MGP Single Barrels and not stating the state of distillation on the bottle and worse stating it is something it is not if the label still says it's a product of Canada.

For what it's worth, she specifically stated that the label was accurate. I guess it is their stand. 

Anyone one of good single barrel picks in 

Louisville 

Lexington 

Bardstown 

Nashville 

Memphis 

???

Heading to Kentucky in a week!

There is some in Total Wine in Lexington at the Lexington Green shopping Center but I don't think its the store pick. Might want to call 'em. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.