Packing bottles checked luggage -tips please

Skinsfan1311
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We're going to snag a few bottles, during our upcoming bourbon trip.  Plan is to dip & purchase  Maker's & Knob Creek bottles, so we'll have to pack them in our checked bags. 

Would love to hear what's worked for you.

Thanks 

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

We're going to snag a few bottles, during our upcoming bourbon trip.  Plan is to dip & purchase  Maker's & Knob Creek bottles, so we'll have to pack them in our checked bags. 

Would love to hear what's worked for you.

Thanks 

Kind of odd sized bottles, especially the KC. I have a suitcase built specifically to carry bottles with styrofoam bottle cutouts that fills the small suitcase. Basically the styrofoam packaging from a box that a liquor store used to ship me whiskey that i removed from the box and made to fit into a semi hardsided piece of luggage.

The inflated plastic bottle protectors fit in among clothes also seem to work OK too. I put everything in large ziploc bags (2 gallon size I think) to try to control for spillage although, so far, I haven't ever had a casualty.

Hard to describe but same as these things on Amazon.

• I like it 1

I've spent well over a decade lugging bottles in my checked bags from the US and Asia back to Australia and haven't lost one yet (fingers crossed)...  I double Ziploc bag each bottle, and take padded bottle bags from home (the ones people take to BBQ's etc that typically hold 2 wine bottles) to put them in.  I then wrap each bottle in a couple of t-shirts before putting them in the bottle bag.  We then make sure there's a good layer of clothing to pad all around the bags.

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Kind of odd sized bottles, especially the KC. I have a suitcase built specifically to carry bottles with styrofoam bottle cutouts that fills the small suitcase. Basically the styrofoam packaging from a box that a liquor store used to ship me whiskey that i removed from the box and made to fit into a semi hardsided piece of luggage.

The inflated plastic bottle protectors fit in among clothes also seem to work OK too. I put everything in large ziploc bags (2 gallon size I think) to try to control for spillage although, so far, I haven't ever had a casualty.

Hard to describe but same as these things on Amazon.

11 hours ago, camduncan said:

I've spent well over a decade lugging bottles in my checked bags from the US and Asia back to Australia and haven't lost one yet (fingers crossed)...  I double Ziploc bag each bottle, and take padded bottle bags from home (the ones people take to BBQ's etc that typically hold 2 wine bottles) to put them in.  I then wrap each bottle in a couple of t-shirts before putting them in the bottle bag.  We then make sure there's a good layer of clothing to pad all around the bags.

Thank you very much!

I just received an order from Master of Malt and they used the inflatable bags similar to the ones in the above amazon link. No issues at all and I will be purchasing some for when I do the bourbon trail tour later this year..

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...

I bought some re-usable bubbled bags, somewhat similar to these : Amazon

I bought them at a LS, several years ago.  I stuff my bottles into those, and

then I arrange the dirty laundry bag around those and ensure there is padding

in all directions.  The bags used to have a ziplock function at the top, but that

stopped working after the first dozen uses or so.  So far, still haven't lost anything

yet.  If you are sending open bottles, make sure you spend a little extra time

securing the corks if they are delicate (ala Blanton's).

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this post after posting a similar question. How about the odd shaped bottles? Square ones, Willett Pot, angels envy, what do you do with them?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.