Most disappointing purchase and regretted pass in 2017

Fishin49er
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thought this would be a fun topic. What purchase most disappointed you in 2017? What pass in 2017 do you most regret? For me Noah's Mill was the biggest disappointment and Wathens Barrel Proof was my most regretted pass. I didn't really know what what the Wathens was at the time but now looking back I wish I had snagged one. 

• I like it 2

My biggest disappointment was my first ever acquisition of a bottle of George T Stagg (2017). I paid $249 (which is a low price in my parts) - but I have several bottles that cost much less that I think are better (ECBP C917, and Stagg Jr Batch 9).   It was a valuable learning experience though, as now I could care less about acquiring overpriced bottles whose contents simply don’t justify the costs and time involved in acquiring them.  I have no passes that I regret (I’m lookin at you, $499 bottle of ORVW!)

Edited by starhopper
  • I like it 2

4 hours ago, Fishin49er said:

What purchase most disappointed you in 2017? What pass in 2017 do you most regret?

Disappointment? Regret?

It's booze for goodness sake, don't sweat the small stuff.

IMG_8673.thumb.jpg.198328b735b16b22f002a5fe849a4304.jpg

Most disappointing - Stagg Jr. did not love, barely liked. Should give another chance, but in no hurry to do so. 

Regret - Early on in the year passed on two SAOS SiB. Gone when I returned and have not seen any since. 

• I like it 1

Disappointing: Weller 12. Finally came across a bottle and bought it after giving in to the hype. Just ok and certainly not better than OWA (for a wheaten) or ER10 (for a relatively affordable BT product). I know I’m in the minority. 

Regret: Similar to above, bought a bottle of SAOS 11 SiB and left one on the shelf. Wish I had that second bottle. It’s an exceptional bourbon. 

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, hugh jass said:

Disappointing: Weller 12. Finally came across a bottle and bought it after giving in to the hype. Just ok and certainly not better than OWA (for a wheaten) or ER10 (for a relatively affordable BT product). I know I’m in the minority. 

Regret: Similar to above, bought a bottle of SAOS 11 SiB and left one on the shelf. Wish I had that second bottle. It’s an exceptional bourbon. 

SAOS? sorry, can't keep up with all the acronyms

• I like it 1

26 minutes ago, alcoholica said:

SAOS? sorry, can't keep up with all the acronyms

You know you can hover over them, right, if you see the underline?  In any event, soon enough they'll all be second nature and you won't even have to 'translate' them, you'll be fluent.  

31 minutes ago, hugh jass said:

+1 for this regret, except I didn't buy them. Saw at least two on the shelf and passed them up.

Nothing was disappointing in 2017 for me. The most recent bottle of 4R SmB wasn't as good as I remember but I wouldn't say disappointing.

If I had to pick one that was disappointing (let's say didn't live up to expectations since I wasn't really disappointed) would be VOB BIB or an OF SiB.

I'm not familiar with this term "passing on" that you're referencing.  Don't really remember passing on anything that I really wanted, that was actually available.

53 minutes ago, hugh jass said:

I too think the OWA is better than the W12

I don't think either of these apply to me yet. I bought a Kentucky Owl and PHC for $130 each and I always turn a little green spending that much on a single bottle but they are both fantastic. I also let a Wathen's barrel proof slip by and a few others but I don't regret it necessarily. The amount of bottles I have that need to be organized, and 1/4 full bottles that need to be euthanized is staggering.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Dom said:

Tell me about this "passing" thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I'm not familiar with this term "passing on" that you're referencing.  Don't really remember passing on anything that I really wanted, that was actually available.

Haha, passing must only apply to guys who just bought a house and have a baby coming in August.

• I like it 1

I can honestly say I did not have any disappointing purchases in 2017 due to being much more selective on what I wanted.  The only regretted pass was on a bottle of Stagg Jr. batch 9 for $52.99.  I had not opened one of mine yet and did not realize how good it was at the time.

1 hour ago, hugh jass said:

Did you at least get the W12 for at or close to retail? I was able to score a bottle at retail. I definitely don't put it up on the pedestal that some people seem to but for $30 it's solid. 

The Old Scout stuff seems to be the biggest regrets. I know where a couple bottles are at, maybe I should go get them before I join the group.

7 minutes ago, Fishin49er said:

I know where a couple bottles are at, maybe I should go get them before I join the group.

Go now.

12 hours ago, starhopper said:

My biggest disappointment was my first ever acquisition of a bottle of George T Stagg (2017). I paid $249 (which is a low price in my parts) - but I have several bottles that cost much less that I think are better (ECBP C917, and Stagg Jr Batch 9).   It was a valuable learning experience though, as now I could care less about acquiring overpriced bottles whose contents simply don’t justify the costs and time involved in acquiring them.  I have no passes that I regret (I’m lookin at you, $499 bottle of ORVW!)

This applies to me also. I had the choice of GTS, ORVW10, or PVW Lot B. I chose GTS (the cost for me was 125.00) and I just couldn't get the flavor out of it. I later had several pours of ORVW10 and really enjoyed it much better than GTS. However I have no regrets, as another poster said its only brown liquid, and I am still glad for the chance to own it and try it. And like you, I am still looking to get my hands on a bottle of the winkle family. I would never pay $499 for the ORVW, but thats me, if you do, please enjoy. 

My biggest disappointment was probably 1792 Full Proof. I realize that what I had was a store pick of it, but to me it was just all heat for the sake of being hot with little flavor.  WAY hotter than its 125 proof. I'm usually a fan of high proof.

I was also disappointed in the Willett distilled Old Bardstown.  It was just awful dreck but since it cost under $20 I didn't lose any sleep over it.

I consider both of mine to be pretty minor compared to some of the others. 

My biggest regret was buying ECBP Batch 12 for $99. I was badly wanting to try it and this place was the only time I saw it. 

Eagle Rare is fairly hard for me to find around here. I was in Michigan in August and I passed up some 1.75L for around $55. I wish I would’ve grabbed a bottle or 2, but oh well. 

25 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

My biggest regret was buying ECBP Batch 12 for $99. I was badly wanting to try it and this place was the only time I saw it. 

Eagle Rare is fairly hard for me to find around here. I was in Michigan in August and I passed up some 1.75L for around $55. I wish I would’ve grabbed a bottle or 2, but oh well. 

ECBP Batch 12 is probably my favorite batch.  I wouldn't feel too bad about that one.  I think I paid $75 + tax for one of mine.

19 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I too was a bit disappointed with the 1792 FP.  No regrets however, only learning opportunities...

Agreed..no regrets. I'm glad I tried it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

40 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I try not to pass on ER when I see it. Last week I walked into my local LS and found the 1.75L for 46.99. I jumped all over it and that was after finding a 750 for 26.99 the week before.

Advanced Taster said "This applies to me also. I had the choice of GTS, ORVW10, or PVW Lot B. I chose GTS (the cost for me was 125.00) and I just couldn't get the flavor out of it. I later had several pours of ORVW10 and really enjoyed it much better than GTS. However I have no regrets, as another poster said its only brown liquid, and I am still glad for the chance to own it and try it. And like you, I am still looking to get my hands on a bottle of the winkle family. I would never pay $499 for the ORVW, but thats me, if you do, please enjoy. "

....Nope - not gonna buy any ORVW or any other unicorn unless it's at MSRP.  I learned a valuable lesson purchasing my first unicorn...they’re simply not THAT much better than standard good bourbon. I’ll save a TON of money and time drinking the available standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by starhopper
  • I like it 5

Disappointment: All things Weller, I got to try W12, I like OWA better, and I don't like OWA that much. I picked up a store pick OWA, which while better than regular OWA was nothing special. I also tried WLW, luckily at a bar, because I didn't think much of that either. Not bad whiskey by any stretch of the imagination, but for all the hype I thought they would at least be, well, better than they were. I have an unopened bottle of WSR to try still, but do not have high hopes. I guess I just don't care for wheaters.

Regret: I spent $100 on a bottle of Compass Box Hedonism on a whim, not understanding that it was entirely grain whisky. It's more like a sweetened rum, it tastes like vanilla extract.

Ill agree on the W12 disappointment. I bought 2 family-size bottles, & it just didnt do it for me. I ended up trading one for a SFTB, the other I still have 750ml left on hand. I did end up getting a 3rd 750 later in the year, because its good for trading, & would probably will still do this when I see it at retail. Im not sure if my tastes have changed over the years or its the juice. Just all oak & not much else. However, I have a W107 store pic open now that fabulous.

I also had a disappointing 1792 FP store pic. Lotsa heat & that was it. My buddy agreed with me on this - except he unfortunately bought 3 bottles!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.