Oh no, it's happening again...

gurgalunas
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I've really gotten into bourbon.  As in, running out of places to hide it...  I promised myself that I'd cut WAAAY back on buying, unless some of the hard-to-get favorites show up (W12, for example).  I've been pretty good so far, only splurging when some dumbass put 4RSiB PS on sale for $35...

I know there is this other liquor that I really like, and there is an obvious "rabbit hole" waiting to gobble me up, but I've stayed content with my Appletons VX filling my rocks glass, with just a splash of Coke for years.  Like a Silverback Gorilla, just don't look it in the eye and it will leave you alone...

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago...  My wife and I are celebrating our 25th this year, and booked a Sandals trip in St Lucia.  I'm pretty pumped for this trip,  updating my scuba certification, scouring the 'net for St. Lucia info, and inevitably building a thirst for....  rum.  Kinda like every time I watch a Pirates of the Carribean movie- even the bad ones- I get the thirst...

So I finally, against my better judgement, sneak into the Rum Forum.  Bad move.  I feel like I just discovered the bourbon forum again.  Lots of info for a thirsty mind to absorb.  

Investigating by cabinet, my rum collection is dominated by previous vacations to Jamaica and Dominican Republic.  It includes...

Appleton Estate

Appleton 12

Ron Barceló Gran Anejo

Brugal Extra Viejo 

Galleon Dark Jamaican

Havana Club 7 (Cuban)

D'Aguilar's 5 year (unopened from Guyana Field Study in college, circa 1994)

Not bad, but reading gave me some things to look for.  In the last week, I've added Mt Gay XO, Kirk and Sweeney 18, and Pusser's.  Pretty sure I'll be buying more soon, as my top LS is managed by a rum geek...

Uuugh.   See what you guys have done?...

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

How about some Single Malt Scotch to go with that fine Rum/Rhum?

I'm not into smoky scotch.  At all...  now I do like a peated flavor, at least enough to drink it.  Im far from dropping a lot of money on scotch, hoping I'll like it.  I did try and then buy Glenfiddich 12.  I bet there are Scotches I'd enjoy, but part of the attraction to Rum is the affordable habit...  not happening with Scotch.

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Now that you have 2 spirits you actively explore and enjoy, whatever you do, DO NOT view the mezcal thread.

No worries there.  See my smoky scotch comment above.  Same applies to mezcal, x10.  I'd be more likely to try absinthe... 

Edited by gurgalunas

St. Lucia is at current the producer of my personal favorite Rum though they are Hamilton/Ministry of Rum bottlings which are sourced from St. Lucia Distillers. I would love to spend some quality time with the local product.

54 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

St. Lucia is at current the producer of my personal favorite Rum though they are Hamilton/Ministry of Rum bottlings which are sourced from St. Lucia Distillers. I would love to spend some quality time with the local product.

I do hope to tour the distillery and sample a bit.  The 1931 rum should be available, as well the Admiral Rodney.  I hope the available selection goes beyond the local mixers, though.  I'd love to see a broader Caribbean selection though.

All the SLD products should be available for purchase at the distillery when you visit. The last three versions of 1931 should be complex and entertaining, Admiral Rodney is a light easy drinker....a column still product that is similar in many respects to central and south american rums.  The forgotten cask series is worth a look as it adds a little gentle woody note to that same lighter base spirit.  

I think you will find that aged complex rums are less in demand on the island than new make clear mixers.  Price point is a huge concern for locals buying spirits so often the cheapest available rum is mixed with fruits and spices and sold as a local favorite.

When you visit you might want to ask to talk to Michael Speakman if he isn't busy.  He is personable, knowledgable and truthful and can take you way beyond the typical tour talk ..... if that interests you.

Edited by sailor22
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.