OF BIB 11 year

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'd bet on $140, and on it being a gift shop only offering.  

I bet it's a very nice pour; but I'll wait and see, especially if it's as expensive, and as limited as I assume it'll be.    It's also possible it can be a bit oaky at 11-years old.

So HH digs their hole ever deeper (at least with me).  Drops/dilutes another of my favorites to add another heavily overpriced LE.  Less than triple the age - likely only @ double what actually went into OFitz BiB - but quintuple the price.  Glad there's no shortage of competing distilleries offering quality bourbon at reasonable prices.  Time for HH to account for a significantly reduced percentage of my bourbon budget.

46 minutes ago, PowderKeg said:

So HH digs their hole ever deeper (at least with me).  Drops/dilutes another of my favorites to add another heavily overpriced LE.  Less than triple the age - likely only @ double what actually went into OFitz BiB - but quintuple the price.  Glad there's no shortage of competing distilleries offering quality bourbon at reasonable prices.  Time for HH to account for a significantly reduced percentage of my bourbon budget.

I’ll wait and see. Larceny is still a hell of a deal. 100 proof 11 yr wheater has potential. Maybe not $110. 

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

I’ll wait and see. Larceny is still a hell of a deal. 100 proof 11 yr wheater has potential. Maybe not $110. 

Indeed, a nicely aged and proofed Larceny fills in that lower/middle rung of the HH wheater ladder quite admirably.  And heck, for all intents and purposes OF BIB is a No-Show for 95% of the population.  $110 for this new release is a steep price for sure, but personally I’m not offended by it as it’s specs are solid and the packaging wears the pricing well.

• I like it 1

This is moot for those of us in Texas; I wonder if they plan on expanding distribution at all.  In any event, coincidence or not, this is pretty much what W12 goes for on the secondary market in the battle of allocated, aged wheaters.

16 minutes ago, dcbt said:

This is moot for those of us in Texas; I wonder if they plan on expanding distribution at all.  In any event, coincidence or not, this is pretty much what W12 goes for on the secondary market in the battle of allocated, aged wheaters.

And you get 10 more proof points w/ the Old Fitz. 

I’d be more inclined to buy if it was priced more like w/ ECBP but not really sure what HH wheater stocks are like. 

Edited by Mako254

I heard $110. I’m sure I’ll end up buying some, but it wasn’t that long ago they sol the 12 year very old fits for a third of the price......

08E7776E-4785-4965-BAC1-34866D0DD40D.png

Ooooooh!   Quite the fawncy decanter-style bottle, eh?    I imagine that ups the ante right there about fiddy bux... 

Of course that bottle will automatically improve the flavor of anything inside it.   ...By about 80%; yes?  :o

• I like it 1

Well I've got a bottle of Old Fitz BIB that I bought for like $19.99 so this stuff would have to be something else for me to spend over 5 times the money to have.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

Is this likely to be similar tasting to larceny and rebel yell for those who have had the older fitz?

Hard to say exactly. It’s the same mashbill and distillery of course, but the Very Special Old Fitzgerald wasn’t Bottled In Bond, and was 90 Proof. We all know there’s a huge variation in barrels within large lots as well. Maybe they’ve been holding some honey barrels while dumping the rest in Larceny batches, like the Van Winkle line and WLW with the rest of the juice going to WSR and OWA

I am am a fan of RY10, and if this is slightly better barrels with slightly more age compared to that, I’ve got a lot of interest. This release at over $100 though does demonstrate again how good of a value RY10 has been (I stocked up when I found them for $46 each).

• I like it 1

I should add to my previous comment, the last time I had VSOF12 was probably 2 years ago, and at the time I don’t recall it being that amazing. Somewhat along the lines of Weller 12 in terms of hype versus reality

Threads have been merged and moved here to Industry News. I also deleted the one I started.  Thanks to my nephew for the initial email/heads up, and thanks to dcbt for letting me know there were already two threads about this. :wacko: I got home a little late from work today, and after reading my email, I admit that I was in a bit of a hurry to post this news. What can I say? -_-

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

It is a little less proof than the Kentucky Owl but given that Kentucky Owl rye was about $120 minimum and it seems like it is priced at about the current market price (not that the current market always makes sense or that I have to like it). But it is what it is.

I think last time I looked the VSOF12 was going for somewhere around $50 at the gift shop which was about the only 0place you could find, if you could find it there.  It is a lot easier to adjust the price to the market with what looks to most people like an entirely new label than it is would be to suddenly overnight raise the price 2 or 3 times what people were paying for a known label.

Just ask the Beam folks about Bookers...

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

It is a little less proof than the Kentucky Owl but given that Kentucky Owl rye was about $120 minimum and it seems like it is priced at about the current market price (not that the current market always makes sense or that I have to like it). But it is what it is.

I think last time I looked the VSOF12 was going for somewhere around $50 at the gift shop which was about the only 0place you could find, if you could find it there.  It is a lot easier to adjust the price to the market with what looks to most people like an entirely new label than it is would be to suddenly overnight raise the price 2 or 3 times what people were paying for a known label.

Just ask the Beam folks about Bookers...

My recollection is that the last time they had it at the gift shop the price was no longer $50, could be wrong though. I'll say that the closer comparison would be ORVW to me which is 7 more proof but one year younger and also a wheater, price wise $110 is about what most of the country pays for ORVW when they aren't getting gouged. Personally I like the HH Weater profile more than the Weller/VW profile and the packaging on this is something special. That being said for one less year of age same proof I can buy RY10 for much less, that being said if I saw this one I would bite.

Unless this is an amazing and truly unique whiskey, 11yrs + 100 proof + a nice bottle does not = $110. Perhaps insanity fits the equation better? That being said, HH will undoubtedly sell every bottle in a heartbeat and 10-20 yrs from now (maybe less?) I'll probably look like an idiot for making those first comments :P

I have to give HH credit though, they offer good whiskies at all price points.

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 2

20 hours ago, Mako254 said:

I’d be more inclined to buy if it was priced more like w/ ECBP but not really sure what HH wheater stocks are like. 

I was thinking the same thing in terms of comparing the price to ECBP but there does seem to be a premium on aged wheated bourbon along with rye (for example, Kentucky Owl). It's not a premium I'm willing to pay personally — at $65 or so I'd probably buy a bottle (if I actually came across one), at this price not a chance.

At this point for me, I just look on these kinds of announcements with a certain amusement.

• I like it 1

I was thinking about this new offering, and decided to have a pour of Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12-year just now (from about 2011 or '12, I think) just to refresh my memory of it's profile. 

To my schnozzola it's quite a nice experience; but, to my taste buddies, it's right up against the age line.    Almost too oaky for me to really love it.    It grows on me, after a few sips and the oak notes become less off-putting.

The 11-year, assuming it has just a bit less oak influence (strictly a guess, bus sorta logical), may be a somewhat better pour.    The HH wheater profile has always been just a bit thin to me (but, so are most wheaters to me).    But hopefully, this new offering won't be too thin.

The price is where I hafta cough a little bit.     Remembering what I'd traditionally paid for VSOF 12 ($33-42) makes $110 sound a bit steep.    Thinking in current terms, and considering the rarity of aged wheaters of any sort on the market now; and adding in the quite elegant packaging, I guess I'm approaching a place in my thinking that may allow me to grab one, if one shows up looking for a home.    Time will tell on that score, I guess.    I'll let y'all know.

Edited by Richnimrod

On 2/19/2018 at 10:04 PM, Vosgar said:

Unless this is an amazing and truly unique whiskey, 11yrs + 100 proof + a nice bottle does not = $110. Perhaps insanity fits the equation better? That being said, HH will undoubtedly sell every bottle in a heartbeat and 10-20 yrs from now (maybe less?) I'll probably look like an idiot for making those first comments :P

I have to give HH credit though, they offer good whiskies at all price points.

If it was a one-off, I could understand the price, but the other thread said it will be a twice a year release.  If so, that’s a bit spendy, but I’ll probable get one anywayB)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.