Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond

Whiskey Lullaby
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Haven’t seen this posted yet, but this is a pretty cool announcement from Heaven Hill.  regarding an Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond release. I’m guessing this will be pretty tough to come, but I’m gonna keep my eyes out for it. 

https://www.heavenhill.com/detail/302

The only thing that bums me out about this is that Fred Minnick wrote that regular OF BIB is being phased out. I hope this isn't true.

2 hours ago, Bbstout said:

The only thing that bums me out about this is that Fred Minnick wrote that regular OF BIB is being phased out. I hope this isn't true.

This has been happening for a while now.

What happened to the other thread about this from yesterday

edit.. thanks joe.. industry news forum. Weird

Edited by FasterHorses

So I'm curious about Old Fitz products in general. A local bar usually has Old Fitz 12 year, which I find I like better than most wheaters. However, when I try to look for a bottle it on the internet it seems to be impossible to find.

Can someone tell me which Old Fitz products are currently being produced? All I can seem to find on wine search is the 80 proof version at a few shops, and then a random bottle of the other varieties, but usually for hundreds of dollars.

Oh also, does HH have more than one wheated mash bill, or is Larceny, Old Fitz and presumably Rebel Yell 10 all the same mash?

Edited by EarthQuake

It's cool they are doing this. Price seems steep. The collectors and flippers will probably gobble this up. I hope they keep making their regular stuff. Hoping to find it in Kentucky on next months trip.

$110 -_- IF I actually come across a bottle at that price and not a penny more, then I'll make the decision at that time. Unfortunately with the scarcity of premium wheaters these days, I may have to give this a shot.

I had a pour of Old Fitz BIB a little while ago.    I followed that up with a pour of VSOF 12-yr.    There certainly is a family resemblance; but the VSOF is very clearly older and more oaky; but, also a deeper and more satisfying pour, assuming you can tolerate the oak.    For me it's right about at the line on that score.     The new offering at 11-years, may be a bit better because of that.    $110 to find out is a sticking point, though.   We'll see.

I’m excited for this as well.  Heading to Louisville in mid April so I might be able to find one.

19 hours ago, flahute said:

This has been happening for a while now.

What states is OFBIB distributed to besides Kentucky?

10 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

What states is OFBIB distributed to besides Kentucky?

I know it's still in Illinois.

I just re-read Fred's article, I'm not reading that the OF BIB is going away like others are, it has slowly been phased out in other markets since 2011 apart from KY and IL I don't think anyone is getting it anymore. I suppose it could be phased out completely but since I've never had a bottle I guess I won't miss it, there's still David Nicholson for HH Wheated Straight Bourbon at 100 proof for now as well.

So I went to HH last year for their tasting experience and the reasoning they said VSOF is $150 @ the GS was because of the lack of 12 year aged barrels and them wanting to keep it 12 year age stated. Now onto releasing this new product @ 11 Years and still charging a premium, seems VSOF will be doomed forever. 

Attractive bottle, unattractive price. ECBP was undervalued when it debuted at 40ish but it seems to be doing just fine in the 60s its 12 yrs old and BP, what the hell is so special about an 11yr BiB wheater to warrant 110?? Good on em if they can move it at that price and they surely will, but not to me. I had been looking forward to this since it was hinted at last year during a distillery visit. I love the bottom and mid shelf HH EWBiB, FC6 ( never had the NAS) Dant... PS ECs hand ECBPs have been excellent and none over priced IMO. EC18 went away only to return at a big mark up but that was more  of an outlier, so far. Makes me wonder what may become of HMcK, he's 10yr, BiB and around 30 bucks. In the current market I would have been in at 40-60 but 110, no thanks, oh well, more for everyone else I guess, cheers.

^^^I must agree.  The last VSOF I purchased cost me $32-34ish, and I felt like it was a bit much (at the time). 

My bunkers pretty deep in current Old Fitz BIB anyway...   

My first thought after tying rebel yell 10yr was that it would be awesome if heaven hill could do a Fitz or larceny version similar to the Henry mckenna, 100 proof, aged wheater single barrel, so I was initially excited,

but $110 is way too much 

I'm excited to see this. Doubt I will buy it tho.

OFBIB is one of my go tos.  It's all over my area luckily.  I'm not sure how to read Fred Minnick's statement about OFBIB.  If they truly are phasing it out that's a sad day.  

2 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

what the hell is so special about an 11yr BiB wheater to warrant 110??

One word.

"wheater"

Everybody wants Pappy and when they can't get that they want any other wheater they can get their hands on.

• I like it 1

Im curious how this will compare to RY 10, which is half the price. Is it the same wheated mashbill as RY (does HH only do 1 wheated mashbill?)? Ive had OF BIB on a couple occasions recently (its easy to find & cheap in chicago), with its minty fresh notes. Will those notes still be there in a much older version?

The price sucks. I guess its not surprising, but HH has traditionally been known for reasonably priced options. Well, except for that GS EW 12.

• I like it 1

Im curious how this will compare to RY 10, which is half the price. Is it the same wheated mashbill as RY (does HH only do 1 wheated mashbill?)? Ive had OF BIB on a couple occasions recently (its easy to find & cheap in chicago), with its minty fresh notes. Will those notes still be there in a much older version?

The price sucks. I guess its not surprising, but HH has traditionally been known for reasonably priced options. Well, except for that GS EW 12.

All great questions. This is what I want to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

I don't know...  this new release seems to fit the mold of Parker's Heritage and William Heavenhill in terms of target audience.  Heaven Hill does produce some great value bourbon, but they also blow it up with the two mentioned above.  Not really value buys. 

I generally enjoy their lineup, but I'm not a buyer on the majority of their upper end stuff (EC18 being the exception, but I've got one now, so likely done...)  That's just me and my buying habits, though...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.