Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond

Whiskey Lullaby
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

I don't know...  this new release seems to fit the mold of Parker's Heritage and William Heavenhill in terms of target audience.  Heaven Hill does produce some great value bourbon, but they also blow it up with the two mentioned above.  Not really value buys. 

I generally enjoy their lineup, but I'm not a buyer on the majority of their upper end stuff (EC18 being the exception, but I've got one now, so likely done...)  That's just me and my buying habits, though...

Ya, your right on that. I had a chance at a PH last fall but passed cause of the price. Had a pour of the PH 13 yr wheat a few weeks ago, & tho it was good, IMHO would not say its worth the price.

3 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Im curious how this will compare to RY 10, which is half the price. Is it the same wheated mashbill as RY (does HH only do 1 wheated mashbill?)?

They only have one wheated mashbill, yes.

If I had to guess, I'd say they will be different. I'm guessing that HH sold the RY barrels to Luxco because they were off profile for either Larceny or Old Fitz. I can't see any other reason why they'd sell those barrels.

The only possibility is that they sold them at a very young age, before they realized the full extent of the boom. If that happened, the questions is: where were they aged? If aged at HH up until shortly before Luxco claimed them, they might be very similar.

If Luxco aged them somewhere else, all bets are off.

• I like it 1

Luxco puts out some gems...$45 for RY10 and $18 for Old Ezra 7 yr. There are still good values out there.

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Ya, your right on that. I had a chance at a PH last fall but passed cause of the price. Had a pour of the PH 13 yr wheat a few weeks ago, & tho it was good, IMHO would not say its worth the price.

PHC 11 year was a bit steep in price, but boy is it a fine bourbon. I was a little shocked at the price too, but I found it just sitting on a shelf so it came home with me. I feel like this OF 11 yr may be the same, definitely a steep price at first but hopefully the quality will make up for it.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Luxco puts out some gems...$45 for RY10 and $18 for Old Ezra 7 yr. There are still good values out there.

$ 18 is Fantastic for Old Ezra 7. Around here it's in the 25 range. The only place I have seen any Old Fitz of any type is in Chicago area.

I wish those prices were true everywhere, but unfortunately that is not the case in West Tennessee. Batch #2 of RY10 was priced at $79 and sometimes higher in every store that had it earlier in 2017, and those prices are with normal markup margins above the distributor price. Old Ezra 7 yr is closer to $30 in the few stores that carry it near me, but I have been able to find it in Mississippi in the low to mid $20 price range.
  • I like it 1

37 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:

$ 18 is Fantastic for Old Ezra 7. Around here it's in the 25 range. The only place I have seen any Old Fitz of any type is in Chicago area.

I can get the Old Ezra 7 for around $19 but the RY10 if it can be found is $60+.

Back on topic...The current Old Fitz BIB is not available near me...not sure if the new iteration will be available either, but the price might allow for a more broad distribution in order to get it sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I received a reply to my e-mail from HH asking about timing, and availability of Old Fitz BIB 11-year.  

Here's what she said:

Available in the gift shop sometime in May, expected to be released in limited quantities twice each year (Spring and Fall), in a 'select' number of States, for the next 5-years.    She wouldn't commit to which states nor release dates.

Edited by Richnimrod
  • I like it 1

I received a reply to my e-mail from HH asking about timing, and availability of Old Fitz BIB 11-year.  
Here's what she said:
Available in the gift shop sometime in May, expected to be released in limited quantities twice each year (Spring and Fall), in a 'select' number of States, for the next 5-years.    She woiuldn't commit to which states nor release dates.

I’m still not sure that I want to spend the money on one, but it’s a shame it won’t be released by the time many of us will be getting together in Bardstown the end of April.

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Here's what she said:

Available in the gift shop sometime in May, expected to be released in limited quantities twice each year (Spring and Fall), in a 'select' number of States, for the next 5-years.    She woiuldn't commit to which states nor release dates.

So your saying....there's a chance.

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I’m still not sure that I want to spend the money on one, but it’s a shame it won’t be released by the time many of us will be getting together in Bardstown the end of April.

Yeah!     My thoughts exactly.     This means it's unlikely it would be on the 'pour-list' for the high-end tasting they do at the Gift Shop.    That was kinda my plan; to "try-before-I-buy"; but, It seems: no.

Oh, well.       It's not like I'll be wanting for decent Bourbon to taste any time soon, I guess.

• I like it 1

On 2/21/2018 at 2:24 PM, Paddy said:

^^^I must agree.  The last VSOF I purchased cost me $32-34ish, and I felt like it was a bit much (at the time). 

My bunkers pretty deep in current Old Fitz BIB anyway...   

I remember when it was $32 as well.  I only bought one bottle because Weller 12 was a few feet away for $25, and the shelves were full of both.  Wish I would have stocked up a bit...

• 6 months later...

The old version of Old Fitzgerald BIB was never distributed in my area, so I never had the opportunity to get any of it, but the new premium version, the 11yo Spring release and the recent 9yo Fall release did make it here. It has been a hot seller regardless of the price, but I was able to get my hands on both of them at retail and also picked up the 14yo version at the gift shop at the Heritage Center in Bardstown. I like them all, and the 9yo may actually be as good or better than the 11yo, but I haven’t done a SBS tasting yet. The 14yo, from what I remember, is probably still my favorite, but I’ll need to do a SBS tasting to be sure.

• I like it 2

Is VSOF still offered at the HH gift shop? If not, is the limited release Old Fitz BiB the only Old Fitz being actively released? Either way, they have made Old Fitz into their premium wheater, which makes sense. I always thought (still do actually) that HH under utilizes this brand.

4 hours ago, Jazz June said:

Is VSOF still offered at the HH gift shop? If not, is the limited release Old Fitz BiB the only Old Fitz being actively released? Either way, they have made Old Fitz into their premium wheater, which makes sense. I always thought (still do actually) that HH under utilizes this brand.

No the VSOF has been discontinued in lieu of the OFBIB in the fancy decanter and specifically the currently 14yr release of it.  If you look on the front label of the 14yr, you will see VVS referencing the former releases instead of the "Fall" or "Spring" on the 11yr and 9yr.

• 5 months later...

Figured I’d bump this as HH didn’t a presser about the Spring 2019 release. Sounds like a 13 year. Nothing about when to expect them, but I’d guess May like last year?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 8:45 PM, Supercharger said:

Anyone see any yet? I saw a review already. 

Just hit the shelf in KC.  $130.

Ouch. But good to hear they’re landing. I guess the $10/year age on the BiB stays true with this release. I’ll still try to land a bottle. 

My local guy said he is expecting a bottle in the next couple of weeks. Very small LS in Texas, so there might hope for us all

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.