Old Forester President’s Choice

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This sounds VERY MUCH like OFBB.    I imagine being a NEW, Special Release, the price will exceed OFBB.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

Sku had it first. 

12 year old OF. 100 proof. 

Sig is a daily favorite, I’d like to give this a go pending price and availability. 

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=18057001000170

59 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

This sounds VERY MUCH like OFBB.    I imagine being a NEW, Special Release, the price will exceed OFBB.

Check the back label. 14.5 years old. Both handwritten. This will be a variable single barrel release. Priced according to age no doubt. 

I think we are past the point with releases like this where we need to say “depending on price”. You can just flat out count on the fact that it’s going to be expensive and hurt. That’s where the market is. That’s why they put out these new releases. It’s hard to raise the price on standby favorites. It’s easy to create a new label and name your price. If the product is good and/or has a notable age statement and is exclusive the buyers will line up. 

• I like it 1

All fair points flahute. Guessing this one will push $150-200 MSRP. 

1 hour ago, bourbon4all said:

Wouldn't everyone rather have the master distiller make the selection?

I imagine it depends upon how he chooses the barrels to bottle, doesn't it? 

If he's picking the very "best" (and I will assume he should know how to choose such barrels), then ABSOLUTELY!!!!

If however, he's been advised by the management to grab barrels that will be representative, but not exceptional; then... another thing altogether, no?

6 hours ago, flahute said:

If the product is good and/or has a notable age statement and is exclusive the buyers will line up. 

Just my opinion, with nothing to really back it up, I'm not so sure that "good" even needs to be a part of the equation. Some age and a story seems to be all that is necessary these days.

• I like it 1

Just my opinion, with nothing to really back it up, I'm not so sure that "good" even needs to be a part of the equation. Some age and a story seems to be all that is necessary these days.

I completely agree with you Gary. I can’t believe the stuff people buy and the prices they pay these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, bourbon4all said:

You mean as opposed to Campbell Brown?

All that matters to me is that it be someone with a palate that is aligned to mine. 

27 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I was trying to be nice. But yes, you are correct. 

I can’t research right now, but wasn’t there a B-F President’s Choice years ago? 

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

I can’t research right now, but wasn’t there a B-F President’s Choice years ago? 

Yes there was. 

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

"Brown Forman President's Choice" turned up several hits.  It was a special release in the early 1960s, employees and "friends" only, until 1968 when a consumer version was released. Here is sku's 2012 take on a dusty - http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-dusty-curiosity-brown-forman.html

Never had it.

I am an outsider looking in and have no idea how brown forman runs things but I saw the presidents (as in President of brown forman) selection and just pictured some bull attempt at using the word President when the president isn't the day to day person tasting barrels choosing where they go. (prolly should have kept my assumptions to myself)

It's gonna be the greatest, most special, fantastic bottle of bourbon ever... in the history of the world! 

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about... you've never seen or tasted anything close to this!  ;)

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Paddy said:

It's gonna be the greatest, most special, fantastic bottle of bourbon ever... in the history of the world! 

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about... you've never seen or tasted anything close to this!  ;)

Oooooooh, now that I've been clued into this private info, Paddy; I'm champin' at the bit to get me a few bottles . . . or even a case!     ;)

• I like it 1

Yeah, laugh.  Make fun.  Then when this DOES turn out to be the best tasting bourbon ever made, won't YOU feel silly.

It could happen.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Yeah, laugh.  Make fun.  Then when this DOES turn out to be the best tasting bourbon ever made, won't YOU feel silly.

It could happen.

All kidding aside, I’m sure it’ll be good.  Unfortunately, in this environment, it’ll be at least $10 per year old good, at retail, and folks will still be lining up like drones for a chance at a bottle...

• I like it 2

The good thing for me about new BF releases is that I won't be tempted to pick them up unless they are reasonably priced since more often than not, they aren't my thing.

Given that OFBB sells out in the blink of an eye nowadays, it’s a good move on their part to try to create another ultra, ultra, ultra premium line extension. I’m not a big BF fan but they did good with the 1920 so I’m intrigued and will probably not be able to restrain my curiosity if I find it for
There’s also a chance that this could be distillery-only or something. And in that case I’ll definitely never get my hands on it.

17 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I’m not a big BF fan but they did good with the 1920 so I’m intrigued 

Yeah, but only after they did bad with the first two in that series.

So is it Chris Morris selecting this? Anyone raving about Woodford Reserve's limited editions lately? And by lately, I'll generously give you 5 years...

• I like it 1

On 3/3/2018 at 9:34 PM, bourbon4all said:

Nope. In fact, almost never. Now that Parker Beam has passed and Jim Rutledge is (we can only hope) planning his next move, I can't think of any other Master Distiller whose name on the tasting panel has reasonably assured a special whiskey.

3 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Nope. In fact, almost never. Now that Parker Beam has passed and Jim Rutledge is (we can only hope) planning his next move, I can't think of any other Master Distiller whose name on the tasting panel has reasonably assured a special whiskey.

4 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

So is it Chris Morris selecting this? Anyone raving about Woodford Reserve's limited editions lately? And by lately, I'll generously give you 5 years...

I agree based on my limited experience.  Chris Morris did a tasting at last year's WhiskyFest WashDC.  We tasted, I think, four WR bourbons and the rye.  They were good, but their profiles were really close - if we hadn't been told they were different, we'd have had trouble concluding they were anything other than basic WR.  OTOH, if the Russells are not picking what goes into the WT Masters Keeps, whoever does the picking for them can pick for me any time.  Now, if the price on the MKs were lower . . .B)  And, third hand, I could list several LE or regional release bourbons that were picked by MDs, according to the labels, anyway, that I found pedestrian and clearly overpriced.

• I like it 2

What can I say, I was feeling less pessimistic than usual. At least the most recent Whiskey Row release is the one that was good and we can have a tiny bit of hope that this signals the beginning of a positive trend. Had they come out with 1920 AND THEN the other two stinkers then I’d be singing a different tune. And yes Buddy Holly has had more hits lately than WR but the OFBBs are always pretty good when they don’t suck.

According to the label, Campbell Brown will be picking the barrels. In actuality, it’s more likely that it’ll be Chris Morris as you said.
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.