A little help crom Bookers/Beam fans

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got this bottle of Bookers from my brother. It had a few pours put of it and had been opened in some time. Complete cork failure when I went to open it. After I got the cork issue resolved I was very impressed with this batch. Bookers is one I have stayed away from. From what I remember previous bottles were hotter than what I care for (100-120) and the recent price increase kept me away. If this batch is in the same caliber of recent releases, I may have to pick some up. 

A cursory google search wasn’t helpful. Ant Bookers fans mid sharing info on this batch?

3E4718CD-3ECC-4FC5-9217-B2B4F4CEF1D2.jpeg

Edited by Mako254
Photo

Thought at first it might be one of the round table selections but after a quick search found it wasn’t. In the search I did come across this glowing review in the comments section referencing the batch you have. 

Batch: C03-1-17 Age: 7yrs. 4mo.Proof:128
Year: Either 2010 or 2011
Very light yellow honey color. Scent of damp limestone, burley tobacco, fresh plowed topsoil and cut field grass. Complex tastes of honeysuckle, juicyfruit gum, concord grape and sweet clover all balanced by that signature Booker cracked peppercorn bite. Nice mild euphoric buzz. If there was ever a bourbon that captured the essence of Kentucky, this is one. Super stuff and listed in my top ten all-time bourbon list.

• I like it 1

I remember the batch to be VERY tasty, I can't remember the specifics, but Booker's are high proofers and often come with a little burn due to their proof. If you like that batch, I highly recommend the 2017-04 "Sip Awhile" batch. It's 128.1 proof but has very little burn and rich in flavor. It's well worth the $70 price tag in my opinion. I'm a big Stagg Jr. fan, and this batch gives it a run for it's money.

Edited by spectre
  • I like it 1

I'm partial to the 2017-03 "Front Porch" batch.  Very complex, smooth, rich and, dare I say, almost elegant.  Amazing nose!  Made "It's Bourbon Night" on YouTube's bourbon of the year. 

Thanks for the replies. This bottle of Bookers and a KCSB that i bought (more to keep up relations than anything else) has me reconsidering Beam. Might have to give Bakers a run. 

I still have a few of the '03 batches in my bunker. '03 and '05 batches were some of the best. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, LCWoody said:

I still have a few of the '03 batches in my bunker. '03 and '05 batches were some of the best. 

Where does dots batch rank in your opinion. Passed on one a few weeks ago.

3 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Do you like it as much as WT?

This Bookers is on par with some of the better RRsib that I’ve had. 

2 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Where does dots batch rank in your opinion. Passed on one a few weeks ago.

I don't think I had that one, but I've tasted a few of the new "named" batches and none of them were as good. They we good, just not as good, if that makes sense. 

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Do you like it as much as WT?

I like WT101 a lot as an everyday drink but I like Booker's much more than any WT product that I've had, including RRSiB store pic.  It just has more depth and character, IMO. 

I actually have that batch as well, but the most recent batch I have is Noe Hard times which is 2016 so... what I will say is that I find Bookers to be consistently good and generally great, I still believe it to be the best readily available bourbon and while the price does in fact bum me out if I run out somehow I will be back in the business of buying it. I have had a number of the recent batches as bar pours and have never been let down. 

• I like it 1

Just now, JoeTerp said:

well it is a bit older than more recent Booker's have been.

True but just looking at the batches I have the recent ones aren't exactly getting younger, there have been plenty of sub 7 year batches all along:

2013-7, 7yr 0m
C00-K-15, 6 yr. 7m
C01-A-18, 6yr 7m
C03-1-17, 7yr 4m
C06-B-5, 7yr 3m 
C06-K-8, 6 yr. 2m
Noe Hard Times 2016-6, 6yr 10m 
  • I like it 1

11 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

True but just looking at the batches I have the recent ones aren't exactly getting younger, there have been plenty of sub 7 year batches all along:

2013-7, 7yr 0m
C00-K-15, 6 yr. 7m
C01-A-18, 6yr 7m
C03-1-17, 7yr 4m
C06-B-5, 7yr 3m 
C06-K-8, 6 yr. 2m
Noe Hard Times 2016-6, 6yr 10m 

While they might have previously had some sub 7 batches they haven't had a plus 7 since early 2015

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

well it is a bit older than more recent Booker's have been.

The age statement is just the youngest barrels in the batch.  They blend older barrels in to achieve the desired flavor profile so I wouldn't get too hung up on the age statement.  There could be 8, 9 or 10 year olds in there.  I think they don't disclose the age of the older barrels because they would have to also disclose the proportions of those in the batch. 

10 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

While they might have previously had some sub 7 batches they haven't had a plus 7 since early 2015

I haven't paid attention that closely but I don't get hung up with the Age Statement on Booker's though I like that there is one if that makes sense.

• I like it 1

It looks like this just may be labeled different for some reason. That number in the top right is reversed from they have been putting out with the little graphic. If that number is the same, its 2017-03 Front Porch. I've found the 2017-04 to be my favorite so far. Its awesome with a cigar. 

2 hours ago, PiraSea said:

It looks like this just may be labeled different for some reason. That number in the top right is reversed from they have been putting out with the little graphic. If that number is the same, its 2017-03 Front Porch. I've found the 2017-04 to be my favorite so far. Its awesome with a cigar. 

They have changed the format of the labels 3 times now the one he shared is the original batch codes, after that it was Year-Batch # like it is today but no "Name".

5 hours ago, fosmith said:

The age statement is just the youngest barrels in the batch.  They blend older barrels in to achieve the desired flavor profile so I wouldn't get too hung up on the age statement.  There could be 8, 9 or 10 year olds in there.  I think they don't disclose the age of the older barrels because they would have to also disclose the proportions of those in the batch. 

Where have you obtained this information, fosmith?

I've never heard about Booker's being so complex an assemblage of different ages.

My understanding was that they generally chose from a group of pretty similarly aged barrels in the 6 to 8-year range, and blended 'em together.    I don't think I ever heard anyone at Beam/Suntory officially say that, however.

The old story was that Booker Noe liked his Bourbon between 6 and 8-years old and at barrel strength (around 120+ to 130+), and that's the derivation of this brand.      (Of course any of these sorts of stories are at least partly marketing BS.)

Regardless of designated batch number or name, Bookers is still Bookers. A while back, Beam/Suntory saw fit to name, rather than number its batches. It's all a sales and marketing gimmick. However, I do have to say that I, along with a number of other members here, have actually met Toogie. :huh: There's no way in hell that Dot (Bookers dog) holds a candle to Toogie, the matriarch of Kurtz restaurant in Bardstown. ;) Just sayin'.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Funny you say that! 

I thought the Booker's batch named "Toogie's Invitation" was head and shoulders better than the other four Booker's expressions I tried around the same time. 

So much so that I bought a couple of cases, just ahead of the price jump. 

• I like it 1

Regardless of designated batch number or name, Bookers is still Bookers. A while back, Beam/Suntory saw fit to name, rather than number its batches. It's all a sales and marketing gimmick. However, I do have to say that I, along with a number of other members here, have actually met Toogie. :huh: There's no way in hell that Dot (Bookers dog) holds a candle to Toogie, the matriarch of Kurtz restaurant in Bardstown. [emoji6] Just sayin'.

Biba! Joe

I'm with you Joe...Ms. Toogie is a sweet, classy lady!
  • I like it 1

10 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I'm with you Joe...Ms. Toogie is a sweet, classy lady!

Man, sounds like I have my first Bookers bottle to hunt. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.