Have I Found A WorthWhile Pick???

bayouredd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

LS very recently put up their 2017 barrel select. I have not tried any bourbons higher in proof than a couple BIBs & WT101, but this has me very tempted. I am sure to try a higher proof sooner or later, so I am wondering from the knowledge base here, if this is a worthy try or should I start elsewhere. Of course the LS says it is by far their best barrel ever, but I would expect that ..

What say the masses???

richies ss.jpg

• I like it 1

KC seems to be the most prolific store pic single barrel around right now, and the reviews are pretty good. Try it. You can always proof it down if it doesn't suit you neat.

KCSB is a solid value. Good chance that it has more than 9 years on it as well. 

I agree with everyone, the KC store picks are widely available and usually pretty good

Yep, solid bourbon for the price. 

Check the left side. Sometimes there is another label with barrel age and other info that us nerds want to know

• I like it 1

It depends on if you’re willing to spend $42 on something you may not really like. At the same time it may open up a flavor profile and/or appreciation for higher proof than what you’re used to drinking. Also, if you don’t immediately like it, try it again every month or so. You might be surprised how much your palate changes. 

I personally like the 9year KC better than a 13yr 6mo KCSiB I have, but I like to put a little of the KCSiB in my Booker’s to add a little more depth from the age. 

Hey, ya' only go 'round once. :) I'm really not much of a Beam fan, but I have to admit that I do like KC, and KCSB. FWIW, I have had a few ps KCSB's, and none of them sucked. ;) Of the ones I've had, one was pretty good, another was really good, and one was absolutely outstanding. Like my late, great father in law used to say, (about fishing trips planned a year in advance) "Ya pays your money, and ya' takes your chances." :P Go for it. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Most of the KC SiB are at least 10 yrs, at least the ones I've seen.  Some of my favorite pours in my cabinet are 12 yr versions, and I have a 14 in there too.  I helped with a pick last week and the one we chose was a 14 too.

Ask if they have a bottle open to sample!

• I like it 1

Personally, I've only ever had one private pick of KC 120 that I found less than dynamic.    A couple I've tried have been absolutely stellar!    

I'd definitely grab one, open it up, and take that girl for a spin.    If it's as good as I suspect it might be, you may wanna grab a couple extras before they're all gone.

• I like it 1

To me the KCSB PS is the ultimate daily drinker. Not too $, hi proof, lotsa flavor, doesnt need h2o. That said, Ive had incredible ones (my personal 2018 pick of the yr was an 13.5 version), great ones, and just good ones (its hard for some of them when compared to the outstanding bottles). But never a sucky bottle.

• I like it 1

These KCSB store picks are generally easy buys for me, get it! What's the worst that could happen?

As someone else mentioned, I'm not the biggest fan of Beam, but I do like KCSB.

• I like it 2

Hell yes, buy it!  Every KCSB store pick that I've purchased has been very good and worth the $$

An absolute buy, a classic bourbon profile and you can proof it down with water should you care to experiment and since it will be your first barrel proofer you should certainly try different proof points. The KCSB seem to be consistently good with many better than goods and greats sprinkled in as several others have mentioned.

I am one of those that are averse to the Beam profile in its younger iterations but that ages out around 8 yrs to my taste and I don't get it at all in any of the KC range. Yours would be well beyond that and I'd bet pretty damn good.

With higher proof you will notice a very concentrated flavor, they are popular for a reason!! Sip small amounts and just let it roll around so you can experience the flavors, if you find it to be too much, add a drop or two, rinse and repeat.

The bourbon will tell you if it needs water, some barrel proofers are best at BP and others with varying amounts of water, its easy and fun to sort out.

The KCSB I have does benefit from a few drops, others I have tasted were just great as is. The price point for what you get is also a standout in todays market so I say go for it and lets us know what you think.

Thanx All!

I've been sold; Just scooped one up on lunch break. I will give a rundown in the future...

If it's in the 12 - 13 y.o. range at $42, buy all you can get your hands on.  At that age it has some oakiness to it, which I really like, and huge amounts of flavor.  

On 3/13/2018 at 3:17 PM, bayouredd said:

LS very recently put up their 2017 barrel select. I have not tried any bourbons higher in proof than a couple BIBs & WT101, but this has me very tempted. I am sure to try a higher proof sooner or later, so I am wondering from the knowledge base here, if this is a worthy try or should I start elsewhere. Of course the LS says it is by far their best barrel ever, but I would expect that ..

What say the masses???

richies ss.jpg

I talked with the Richey's guys in the store about their early 2017 selection.  For it, they did not go to Beam to taste barrels side-by-side.  It was one the distributor brought in for them to taste.  Simply ask them for a tasting pour in the store.  In MI there was quite the (bourbon) scandal when the distributors put store selection labels on the bottles without the store doing any prior tasting.  

I talked with the Richey's guys in the store about their early 2017 selection.  For it, they did not go to Beam to taste barrels side-by-side.  It was one the distributor brought in for them to taste.  Simply ask them for a tasting pour in the store.  In MI there was quite the (bourbon) scandal when the distributors put store selection labels on the bottles without the store doing any prior tasting.  

The distributor brought them a single barrel sample to taste, or brought them the usual 3-sample KCSB pack (3x200ml samples, each of a different barrel)?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.