Irish Whiskey for Bourbon Drinkers

BigSkyDrams
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello All, 

With St. Patrick’s day coming up this weekend, I plan to pick up a nice Irish whiskey. The only ones I’ve had before (at least that I recall) are regular Jameson, Jameson Black Barrel, and Redbreast 12 year. I’d like to try something new this go around, so I’d appreciate any recommendations.

Of those I’ve had, Jameson was meh, the Black Barrel was a bit better, IMO, as I picked up some more vanilla/caramel notes that I associate with bourbon from the barrel char. And I thought the Redbreast 12 was awesome, albeit not something I would enjoy as an everyday (or even every weekend) pour.

As you might guess from me being here, I enjoy bourbon as my favorite drink period, with American rye a close second. When I’ve gone international, I’ve found I generally prefer blends to single malts.  But if memory serves, most Irish whiskies are typically blends, correct? I presume the standard wisdom is, drink bourbon for bourbon flavors, and take other whiskies for what they are, but I have to ask: any Irish whiskies that have significantly similar or overlapping palates with bourbon?

Thanks in advance SBers!

• I like it 1

I picked up a bottle of the Midleton Dair Ghaelach (Grinsell's Wood) as a holiday gift for my local LS owner and we found it to be pretty damned tasty with a pronounced (but not overwhelming) cask influence and drinking far below its 116 proof.

I'm also trying to find an unusual Irish whiskey for St. Patrick's Day-- so please post what you end up with.

IMG_7987.jpg

• I like it 2

I would pick up something from one of the other distilleries to get a broader understanding of Irish Whiskey, those would be Bushmill's and Cooley. Cooley house brands are Kilbeggan (blend), Greenore (Single Grain Corn), Connemara (Scotish sourced Peated Malt), and Tyrconnell (Single Malt). Bushmill's is more self explanatory. 

• I like it 2

I've identified this Blackadder as an oddball St. Patrick's Day possibility, in 750mL form. Provenance is not stated, but said to be Midleton. Does anyone here have experience with this particular bottling?

blackadder_drop_irish_26.thumb.jpg.499c149a9515435e5eef618a87da4ee6.jpg

• I like it 2

I was going to pick up the Dunville's PX that is a TW Spirits Direct here in the states, all of the reviews i have read have been good and it's 10% off this week, beleive it is Bushmill's sourced and it is bottled at 46%. 

• I like it 1

BSD, if you liked the Redbreast 12, the Cask strength version is a great step up.  One of the best whiskies on the planet, IMO.  Your local is apt to have it.  Power’s John Lane is another stellar Irish.  The Irishman  offers a couple of very nice options, too.  I’m not sure many are necessarily similar to bourbon, but if you want the punch of flavor that bourbon delivers, the RB 12 Cask Strength surely packs a wallop.  

• I like it 5

31 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

BSD, if you liked the Redbreast 12, the Cask strength version is a great step up.  One of the best whiskies on the planet, IMO.  Your local is apt to have it.  Power’s John Lane is another stellar Irish.  The Irishman  offers a couple of very nice options, too.  I’m not sure many are necessarily similar to bourbon, but if you want the punch of flavor that bourbon delivers, the RB 12 Cask Strength surely packs a wallop.  

RB12 is tough to beat, I'll throw in another bruiser at a lower price point, Tullamore D.E.W. Phoenix here it's findable around $45 and at 55% it is no slouch. 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Redbreast 12, the Cask strength version is [...] one of the best whiskies on the planet.

Word.

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Power’s John Lane is another stellar Irish.

Word_2.

You can create threads for irish whiskey for tequila, wine, dr pepper etc. drinkers, and the response wouldn't change.

• I like it 1

Well, I went fairly unexciting after all this buildup. Only checked one store, and their selection was pretty sparse for Irish. I got the Redbreast 12. Figured I’d go with something I’d know I’d like this go around... came down to that or Green Spot, which I’ll probably give a try some paycheck down the line... also considered Bushmills Red Bush which I understand to be blended to approach something of a bourbon profile... I’ll report on how much I enjoy the Redbreast tomorrow.

Edited by BigSkyDrams
  • I like it 1

9 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Well, I went fairly unexciting after all this buildup. Only checked one store, and their selection was pretty sparse for Irish. I got the Redbreast 12. Figured I’d go with something I’d know I’d like this go around... came down to that or Green Spot, which I’ll probably give a try some paycheck down the line... also considered Bushmills Red Bush which I understand to be blended to approach something of a bourbon profile... I’ll report on how much I enjoy the Redbreast tomorrow.

I was generally underwhelmed by the Bushmills Red Bush. Pretty basic blended whiskey. Much rather stick to the Black Bush that gets a heavy sherry oak aging. A little more cost than the original or Red Bush but more interesting to me. If I want something that tastes like bourbon I find it easier to just drink bourbon!

• I like it 3

Just poured a dram of the Redbreast 12 Cask Strength to honor Saint Patrick.  Slainte!

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I was generally underwhelmed by the Bushmills Red Bush. Pretty basic blended whiskey. Much rather stick to the Black Bush that gets a heavy sherry oak aging. A little more cost than the original or Red Bush but more interesting to me. If I want something that tastes like bourbon I find it easier to just drink bourbon!

Indeed. I’ll enjoy the Redbreast for what it is no doubt... then probsbly follow it up with bourbon later!

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

This is a fun thread for me. I've only really had the basic Jameson and Tullamore Dew so far, with a preference for the latter. 

On my to try list now are the Redbreast 12 year and that Tullamore Dew 12 year.

I think I will look for a bar that has some Irish whiskey options so I can taste before I commit.

Based on the praise on this thread, I ventured into my first purchase of a bottle of Irish Whiskey. Not too shabby!41044f3a452718c45b8c291f60c7df14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, NDN98 said:

Based on the praise on this thread, I ventured into my first purchase of a bottle of Irish Whiskey. Not too shabby!41044f3a452718c45b8c291f60c7df14.jpg

Yeah right... You say "not too shabby", but the size of that pour is a dead giveaway.

• I like it 3

Yeah right... You say "not too shabby", but the size of that pour is a dead giveaway.

It gets a thumbs up from me!

• I like it 1

I second Redbreast as an excellent choice for a Bourbon drinker - or any drinker.  Also, maybe even more bourbon-like is Teeling's Single Grain.  High corn mash bill.  Its finished, but doesn't betray that nature.  A wonderfully engineered whiskey. 

image.png.faa04e27156597cfa2974138ab7ed0fb.png

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

At lunch today, we went to a good Irish bar (and arrived before the younger Caps Fans came in after the Stanley Cup Parade).  For me, Redbreast 12 yr Cask Strength hit the spot.  I don't know what the rest of us ate.  I chewed on that for awhile.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.