AAA 10 Star

BigSkyDrams
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello All: 

As I may have previously mentioned, I’m a huge fan of the BT #2 mashbill (but who isn’t?). Anyway, I noticed my local LS has handles of the AAA 10 Star. Obviously, I’m not expecting it to be on par with Blanton’s or RHF, but is it good enough to be enjoyed neat? Do most use it for cocktails/highballs? 

It’s inexpensive enough that I won’t be too put out if I don’t love it. But it is only available in handles at this store, so before I buy I also wanted to ask: has anyone had successful results vatting it with other bottles to make something more interesting (thinking in the mold of e.g. grandpa wellers four grain)? 

I haven't tried the AAA 10 Star, but like you, I'm a huge fan of Mash Bill #2 so I would give it a try, especially if it's at a good price.  I wouldn't expect it to be as developed as some of the other MB #2 brands, since it's probably younger juice, but Hey, take one for the team and buy a bottle, try it, and come back and let us know how it was.

• I like it 1

we have that here in NC.  some days, I can enjoy it neat, some days it hits me more as a mixer.  its cheap, buy one and give it a try.  Definitely has the BT 2 bones in it!

• I like it 2

Last I saw it is aged for 36 months (Its in small type on the neck label).  I wasn't very impressed with it but it is cheap

I recently bought a handle to try out some vats. I'm in the middle of my dry March so I haven't ventured into any experiments yet. I did try it on its own right before March started and thought it was 'OK' but not something I'm likely to sip on regularly. (Disclaimer: I do intend to see if this becomes a good refrigerator bourbon when summer arrives). 

When April gets here my first vat experiment will be with Stagg Jr. Given how well OC8 works I'm thinking AAA10* will also be effective.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

So I picked up a handle of this shortly after the post. It was the 36 month stated, not the older version... I’ll tell you, my first pour was awful. Hard to drink neat. But I used it for cocktails and highballs/lowballs for a few weekends. It may just be placebo, but I believe it improved with getting some air in the bottle. I was able to sip it neat the past few weekends, and it’s quite good for the price IMO. Very one-note and young tasting, thin and corn-syrupy sweet, but the bones for a quality bourbon are certainly present.

I also vatted some in an old 750 bottle I keep around. It was about 4:1:1 AAA:Eagle Rare:Stagg Jr... sampled a taste yesterday after making it and it was just alright. Going to let them marry a bit and taste once a week or so. Hopefully it improves more, but if not, it’s still plenty drinkable... at least for cocktails, if nothing else :lol:

Edited by BigSkyDrams
  • I like it 1

I think AAA10* is a great value pour.  Do I "love" it neat?  No - but I've had many far worse pours.  I look forward to hearing your vatting results; I can picture this going really well with some higher proof pours (like a Stagg Jr).  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, GaryT said:

I think AAA10* is a great value pour.  Do I "love" it neat?  No - but I've had many far worse pours.  I look forward to hearing your vatting results; I can picture this going really well with some higher proof pours (like a Stagg Jr).  

I’ll let you know how it turns out. The AAA itself was good enough that I’ll probsbly pick up another handle at $21 

2 hours ago, GaryT said:

Agreed.  It is pretty young and not very complex, but for some reason I like it better than most other REALLY bottom shelf brands.  I think it also tolerates dilution pretty well - that is, the simple flavors it has don't disappear with a little ice.  Think of it as jug bourbon.:wacko:  Not special but not terrible, just like jug wine, and similarly fine for informal gatherings.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Agreed.  It is pretty young and not very complex, but for some reason I like it better than most other REALLY bottom shelf brands.  I think it also tolerates dilution pretty well - that is, the simple flavors it has don't disappear with a little ice.  Think of it as jug bourbon.:wacko:  Not special but not terrible, just like jug wine, and similarly fine for informal gatherings.

That's a great point - I do like this better than EWBL or JBWL!  Maybe it is just the extra proof.

It's my summertime bourbon. Mixes well with sprite to make a tasty, refreshing cocktail on warm summer days. And at $22 / 1.75 I don't think it can be beat for that. 

On 4/24/2018 at 5:08 AM, GaryT said:

Tried this last night. It works really well.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.