Booker's batch codes help

Herbalthought
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had a search and cant see anything here perhaps someone has info on how to decode these booker batch numbers as it makes no sense to me at all?
Just got this at auction
https://www.just-whisky.co.uk/march-2018/53200-booker-s-8-years-old-true-barrel-batch-c87-d-21-080686011491.html

i think its a much older bottling and thats why i paid that amount but i havent a clue how to decipher and find out. no matter what its being opened at some point and drunk because bookers is some damn fine juice and has one the the best noses i've ever smelt myself.

Hope one of you can help me :)

Greetings and welcome.  Someplace here on SB over the last few days, I could swear I saw a discussion of what C87-D-21 means.  I couldn't find it.  I'm pretty sure that code means the bottle you bought contains bourbon barreled in April 1987.  From the other info on the bottle, it stayed in the barrel for 8 years and 8 months.  That means it was bottled circa December 1996.  It was sent to stores shortly thereafter.  I was able to locate a short (less than 20 posts) discussion here on SB that was started by DowntownD in late March 2009, and barturtle, Bourbonian of the Year for 2010, posted info about the list of Booker's releases DowntownD had shared.  C87-D-21 is mentioned.  Although the link to the topic is below, I also cut and pasted what barturtle GUESSED about Booker's batch coding just in case the link doesn't work.

cut and paste - barturtle posted -

You're right, I found it...

B93-L-16...7y1m...63.15%...00..............1142 288 00 17:16

L is the month (December) so December 16 1993...seems to be the distilling date....though there was some clarification still needed

Link -

source for an old(er) bottle of Booker's ?

Edited by Harry in WashDC
TYPOS TYPOS TYPOS!!! RE-EDIT- to delete crap.

weird link wont open ?
Interesting though so this means this batch is 1987 and 21st april and i wonder if the c part means 3rd batch
If this is so then this was an awesome buy and i am a very happy man and cant wait to open this now :)

I guess i wont ever have another chance to buy or drink bookers from 1987

Me and a friend went halves on this bottle so we gonna have some fun with this one

thanks Harry i didnt think to search the actual batch code, glad someone else thjought of it though so cheers 

Well, I think it was distilled, that is, came off the still to go into a barrel, on 21 April 1987.  If it is 8 yrs 8 months old, it was bottled Dec 1995 or thereabouts.  Bookers was first introduced, again if I recall correctly, in 1992, so it wasn't released in 1987.  I don't know what the other numbers are for.

Anyway, it appears that you purchased an early Bookers for LESS than many of us pay for limited releases today.  In other words NICE FIND!

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Well, I think it was distilled, that is, came off the still to go into a barrel, on 21 April 1987.  If it is 8 yrs 8 months old, it was bottled Dec 1995 or thereabouts.  Bookers was first introduced, again if I recall correctly, in 1992, so it wasn't released in 1987.  I don't know what the other numbers are for.

Anyway, it appears that you purchased an early Bookers for LESS than many of us pay for limited releases today.  In other words NICE FIND!

This reads correct to me as well.

• 9 months later...

Hey all, this is a very helpful thread—thank you. I just got a bottle marked CK-04-82, 124.2 proof, black wax with a hangtag, from Japan. Closest thing I can find on the spreadsheet (link above) is CK-03-82, at the same proof; I’m wondering if my bottle also was barreled/distilled in ‘82, and if perhaps this and the CK-03-82 were perhaps the same juice, but marked slightly differently to indicate they were intended for different markets (domestic vs. international)? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the subject.

1 hour ago, Ourobouros said:

Hey all, this is a very helpful thread—thank you. I just got a bottle marked CK-04-82, 124.2 proof, black wax with a hangtag, from Japan. Closest thing I can find on the spreadsheet (link above) is CK-03-82, at the same proof; I’m wondering if my bottle also was barreled/distilled in ‘82, and if perhaps this and the CK-03-82 were perhaps the same juice, but marked slightly differently to indicate they were intended for different markets (domestic vs. international)? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the subject.

I would guess different batches, are the aging periods the same?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.