What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Spring 2018)

DCFan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Knockin' back some CEHT BP in a rocks glass with a big cube.  I know - scandalous.  But its damn hot outside, and the BP holds up to ice well.

Cheers.

10 minutes ago, dad-proof said:

Bakers is a winner. It's a bit steep for a 7 year old compared to ER10, HM10, EWSB, etc., particularly in Georgia for some reason. That said, it has a higher proof, still carries an age statement, and being batched it has a much more consistent profile. So many good bourbons to buy and drink, but I agree Bakers tends to fly under the radar.  

I paid $37 for the bottle I picked up a week or so back.  It is a solid product and who knows how long that age statement will still be on it.

1 hour ago, Jfletchgu said:

Started the night with a Bakers 50ml I found for 2 bucks (I like it. Not sure why it doesn't get more love on here). I'm following it up with FC103.

There is an interesting proportional relationship going on that works something like everyone that posts about Baker's loves Baker's and says why don't I drink more Baker's. 

Today my 6-month-old son drank down a record 31.5 ounces of formula (he's a reluctant eater), but after the last feed was cranky and fussy for two solid hours.  He's zonked out asleep in his crib, and will most likely sleep through the night (which he does two out of three nights or so now), so it's time for dad to unwind.

I found a bottle of OWA that's been open for about three years now, down in a box in the basement.  Two cubes, a nice solid pour, and I'm finally relaxing on the porch in the blessed quiet of the night.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Cranecreek said:

I paid $37 for the bottle I picked up a week or so back.  It is a solid product and who knows how long that age statement will still be on it.

29 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

There is an interesting proportional relationship going on that works something like everyone that posts about Baker's loves Baker's and says why don't I drink more Baker's

It's rare to find Baker's under $55 around me. For that money RRSiB and Blanton's are stiff competition, and Stagg Jr. is usually within $5. I really like Baker's, but a store pick RRSiB will always come home with me first, and the Blanton's too if I'm out. That mean Baker's usually gets relegated to the random restaurant selection, where I enjoy it immensely and leads me to ponder why I don't drink it more, haha. 

1 minute ago, dad-proof said:

It's rare to find Baker's under $55 around me. For that money RRSiB and Blanton's are stiff competition, and Stagg Jr. is usually within $5. I really like Baker's, but a store pick RRSiB will always come home with me first, and the Blanton's too if I'm out. That mean Baker's usually gets relegated to the random restaurant selection, where I enjoy it immensely and leads me to ponder why I don't drink it more, haha. 

It's generally $40 here, I'm with you on RRSiB but I would choose Baker's over Blanton's by a considerable margin, trust your instincts on those bar pours!

3 hours ago, Jfletchgu said:

Started the night with a Bakers 50ml I found for 2 bucks (I like it. Not sure why it doesn't get more love on here). I'm following it up with FC103.

2 hours ago, Cranecreek said:

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

There is an interesting proportional relationship going on that works something like everyone that posts about Baker's loves Baker's and says why don't I drink more Baker's. 

2 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Bakers is a winner. It's a bit steep for a 7 year old compared to ER10, HM10, EWSB, etc., particularly in Georgia for some reason. That said, it has a higher proof, still carries an age statement, and being batched it has a much more consistent profile. So many good bourbons to buy and drink, but I agree Bakers tends to fly under the radar.  

1 hour ago, dad-proof said:

It's generally $40 here, I'm with you on RRSiB but I would choose Baker's over Blanton's by a considerable margin, trust your instincts on those bar pours!

You all answered the question.  The only thing holding back Baker's is the price point.  It faces tough competition at the price Beam offers it.   It's available around $40 to $42 around here in Texas (only a couple of years ago I could regularly find it at $35).  Having said that, I can't name very many bourbons available at $42 that I like much better.   Four Roses single barrel, maybe WT Rare Breed.  I would have said EC12 in the past but not the current NAS version.  HMcK10 but only if you get a good barrel.  There may be a couple more but I can't think of them right now.  I'm not counting the hard to find ones like ETL.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

9 minutes ago, Kepler said:

You all answered the question.  The only thing holding back Baker's is the price point.  It faces tough competition at the price Beam offers it.   It's available around $40 to $42 around here in Texas (only a couple of years ago I could regularly find it at $35).  Having said that, I can't name very many bourbons available at $42 that I like much better.   Four Roses single barrel, maybe WT Rare Breed.  I would have said EC12 in the past but not the current NAS version.  HMcK10 but only if you get a good barrel.  There may be a couple more but I can't think of them right now.  I'm not counting the hard to find ones like ETL.

Doh!  I forgot the most obvious one, and the one that competes directly the most with Baker's:  Knob Creek and KC single barrel.  That's what's hurting Baker's the most, Beam's own cannibalistic product lineup.  KC is just too good of a value.  Sometimes however I'll prefer Baker's over KC.

10 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Baker's is really great, for my tastes BT/Saz doesn't have anything I enjoy as much barring bottles that cost twice as much retail. 

3 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Doh!  I forgot the most obvious one, and the one that competes directly the most with Baker's:  Knob Creek and KC single barrel.  That's what's hurting Baker's the most, Beam's own cannibalistic product lineup.  KC is just too good of a value.  Sometimes however I'll prefer Baker's over KC.

That certainly is a valid point, the NAS nature of KC currently helps to even the gap along with the lower proof from a purely dollars to donuts perspective, I will also add that Baker's has always been a more enjoyable pour for me than KC which I love and I'm not sure that it's just the extra 7%, maybe barrel selection, maybe some older casks bringing in some complexity who knows, ultimately I've never had a pour of Baker's and not said to myself this is better than I remember it. 

• I like it 1

Don't have a Baker's bottle open at the moment and since I'm in bottle-clearing mode, I'll just have to drink something from a bottle I already have open.

Four Roses SiB PS does this trick.  My favorite recipe OESK, this one happens to be from Liquor Barn.  Nice stuff.

1 minute ago, kevinbrink said:

ultimately I've never had a pour of Baker's and not said to myself this is better than I remember it. 

Post of the day.  I couldn't agree more, and based on previous comments I've seen on SB, we're not the only ones who've had the same experience.  Baker's is the ultimate dark horse bourbon.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

That certainly is a valid point, the NAS nature of KC currently helps to even the gap along with the lower proof from a purely dollars to donuts perspective, I will also add that Baker's has always been a more enjoyable pour for me than KC which I love and I'm not sure that it's just the extra 7%, maybe barrel selection, maybe some older casks bringing in some complexity who knows, ultimately I've never had a pour of Baker's and not said to myself this is better than I remember it. 

For me, whether I prefer KC or Baker's comes down to the mood I'm in.  Baker's is the more balanced bourbon, but for me KC is a brown sugar and caramel bomb, and sometimes that emphasis on the sweet side really hits the spot.

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

There’s a lot of us here who love Bakers. As you know, I’ve posted about it many times. As you are correct to point out, it’s the price point that holds it back for many. It’s $57 here plus our insane taxes. 

Formsome strange reason, price really varies on this around the country. We’re on the high side. 

28 minutes ago, flahute said:

There’s a lot of us here who love Bakers. As you know, I’ve posted about it many times. As you are correct to point out, it’s the price point that holds it back for many. It’s $57 here plus our insane taxes. 

Formsome strange reason, price really varies on this around the country. We’re on the high side. 

baker.thumb.jpg.889347e7ef27ebe9d4e487e328915d35.jpg

This Bakers was the mystery bourbon in VBT#619.  I would be curious to know if SB'ers would agree with my tasting notes on this ?

It is interesting to read that the very first VBT ever, was also on Bakers.  I think for me anyway, some bourbons, like this Bakers are beginning to look like bargains (depending on local $ ) because of its 107 proof and the 7 year statement.

On 5/24/2018 at 8:38 PM, Cranecreek said:

Dang it, fellas.  I was feeling pretty good about going a week so bout a whiskey purchase.  Now, I’m going to have to stop by the mongers for a Baker’s...Thanks.   Thanks, a lot.  

• I like it 4

14 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Dang it, fellas.  I was feeling pretty good about going a week so bout a whiskey purchase.  Now, I’m going to have to stop by the mongers for a Baker’s...Thanks.   Thanks, a lot.  

FINALLY!  The rest of us managed to post something that made Joe need to go out and buy a whiskey. :)

• I like it 1

The wife and I are having about 20 people over for a cookout today. What's better to assist in the food prep/cleaning/setting up the patio furniture and games than some WSR in iced coffee. Cheers to you all on this Memorial Weekend! 

20180527_110444.jpg

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

The wife and I are having about 20 people over for a cookout today. What's better to assist in the food prep/cleaning/setting up the patio furniture and games than some WSR in iced coffee. Cheers to you all on this Memorial Weekend! 

20180527_110444.jpg

Bourbon in iced coffee. Genius! I love this place because I learn so much here.

2 hours ago, flahute said:

FINALLY!  The rest of us managed to post something that made Joe need to go out and buy a whiskey. :)

Y’alls a bunch of Mortimer Dukes.  Whiskey.  All you want!  :D

A pour of a friends W12. The finish is every single thing I tasted and smelled while at the distillery. Will have to say i still enjoy the OWA more but W12 is a great experience. 

• I like it 1

Cooking some ribs old school, over an open fire and enjoying some WT RRSB. Very nice evening. 

And my dogs keeping guard. 14D17916-927E-47E1-82CC-6E0ABA285DC2.thumb.jpeg.d9887eca3f40ad7eeb7237b50d884ceb.jpeg

• I like it 2

Took a trip to the Whiskey Bar Thurs night w/ the Wife, Son & DIL before my long working weekend. I started with their own barrel of W-Antique; that stuff is just grand! Next I had my 1st pour of Rock Hill Farms. It wasn't bad, but I probably shouldn't have changed profiles so drastically. I think I still like Blanton's more, but will have to give the RHF another go after a palate cleansing. For my last pour, I went with a ECBS. Now I get it! It was very good!!!

I'm thinking that the high proofers are so flavorful that they don't care what was tasted before. They cleanse the palate and bombard you with flavor. This has been the case for me, not only with the ECBS, but the KC 120 as well...

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.