What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

12 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Hmmmm.  Sounds like something I probably would like, whammie.  What is your ratio on that lemonade cocktail?  

Joe, I never measure (oops!), but it's roughly equal parts bourbon and lemonade with considerably less Cherry Heering. I throw a few dashes of bitters in sometimes. 

Be sure to use this lemonade. It's considerably better than any others I've had. 

20180524_173849.jpg

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Joe, I never measure (oops!), but it's roughly equal parts bourbon and lemonade with considerably less Cherry Heering. I throw a few dashes of bitters in sometimes. 

Be sure to use this lemonade. It's considerably better than any others I've had. 

20180524_173849.jpg

Thanks!  I don’t measure either, but you have me on the path.  This will be my kick-off to long weekend cocktail tomorrow!

Cheers!

Thanks!  I don’t measure either, but you have me on the path.  This will be my kick-off to long weekend cocktail tomorrow!
Cheers!

Damn I need some lemonade
  • I like it 1

Have been staying away from the stores recently, because I had been purchasing entirely too much bourbon, but today I went, just to look, I swear, and was a bad boy and came home with these

Resized_20180524_165139.jpg

My wife really likes the ryes and everyone from outside of KY had been extolling the HH BIB for so long that I finally broke down and bought one.  They're as thick as flies around here.

Edited by CardsandBourbon
  • I like it 1

Picked up these two along with a 1.75 of Weller SR.  

I’ll do a side by side of the Old Fitz 11 BIB and a bunkered VSOF 12 one day.

0AE7A1A8-DD74-4F17-BB22-1EC2F97542BB.jpeg

40 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Have been staying away from the stores recently, because I had been purchasing entirely too much bourbon, but today I went, just to look, I swear, and was a bad boy and came home with these

Resized_20180524_165139.jpg

My wife really likes the ryes and everyone from outside of KY had been extolling the HH BIB for so long that I finally broke down and bought one.  They're as thick as flies around here.

Surely youve had the HH BIB before now? Unbelievably good.

12 minutes ago, kyrocklover said:

Picked up these two along with a 1.75 of Weller SR.  

I’ll do a side by side of the Old Fitz 11 BIB and a bunkered VSOF 12 one day.

0AE7A1A8-DD74-4F17-BB22-1EC2F97542BB.jpeg

Got a friendly notice that the OFBIB11 was available locally....$200!

1 minute ago, FasterHorses said:

Surely youve had the HH BIB before now? Unbelievably good.

Not that I recall.  Started with what are considered middle and top shelf bottles.  This is only the third what is considered bottom shelf I've purchased (Old Fitzgerald BIB, VOB BIB and now the HH BIB).

23 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Not that I recall.  Started with what are considered middle and top shelf bottles.  This is only the third what is considered bottom shelf I've purchased (Old Fitzgerald BIB, VOB BIB and now the HH BIB).

I think you may be surprised. Very rich tasting for11$. Curious to know your reaction.

I can't imagine what the price would be if it was an "unfriendly" notice!
  • I like it 3

On 5/23/2018 at 9:42 AM, vismatt said:

My good luck continued today with a Wild Turkey Masters Keep Decades for $75 after taxes.  

One of the signed Bruce Russell ones?  I grabbed one of those as well a few weeks ago  Apparently the distributor made the owner raise his prices on them since then, though.

6 hours ago, dcbt said:

One of the signed Bruce Russell ones?  I grabbed one of those as well a few weeks ago  Apparently the distributor made the owner raise his prices on them since then, though.

This is what I am talking about. I love WT, in fact have been loving it for decades so what a great fit. I haven’t found anyplace selling this less than 150, now 100 I would do, maybe even up to 120 because I like that bottle and I buy so selectively that I could talk myself into it, but 150? I am clearly not alone as Its sitting on shelves around here. Seems there is no mass stampede to the registers looking to drop that much on a MK. I need to contact some friends in TX.

On 5/14/2018 at 4:07 PM, mrpipster said:

How is it? Does the port really sweeten it up?

Yup, but not too much.  I've now opened and finished (not by myself and not all at once) three of these since they first became available.  ASB has been pretty consistent one batch to the next.

20 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

20180524_173849.jpg

I'll be stopping by after work.... Just fyi.

:)

That OBSQ is a great pick.

Enjoy.

41 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I'll be stopping by after work.... Just fyi.

:)

That OBSQ is a great pick.

Enjoy.

I do think the STL guys need to do a get together soon 

I bought my first bottle of Buffalo Trace today.

I payed $24.99. Is that about the usual price?

• I like it 1

39 minutes ago, mrpipster said:

I'd say you did just fine.  It runs $23-$25 around here, when it is available.  And, availability has been rather hit-or-miss over the last few months.  It's a fine all-around bottle to have in your cabinet.  Enjoyable neat, on the rocks, or in your favorite cocktail.  Cheers!

I’m still finding 375’s of the old RB batch, @ 14.99 each.  I’m now up to two cases of them for the bunker.

Also snagged two more PS RRSB’s from a friends barrel pick.  

Gobble, gobble!????

• I like it 2

On 5/12/2018 at 7:37 PM, PowderKeg said:

Had a hankerin' for something different and untried when I stopped for a quick cruise down the bourbon isle - almost went for a Michter's but saw this markdown on a 10yr and thought "What the hey, $30 is worth givin' it a whirl".  So far, do good...

20180512_193157.jpg

Liked the first one - although the finish is a little short light - so grabbed another.   Smooth and easy, IMHO worth the sale price, but not the reg - that's approaching Stagg Jr and WRdblO, and higher than KCsib and a good variety of 1792-other-than-smb I've been finding.

20 hours ago, Clueby said:

I take it your gonna pass on it? Many out there would gladly pay that much to own one. I decided to skip finding one of these. Too expensive at retail and the reviewers I trust have had lukewarm opinions. Anybody out there spent some time with an open bottle of this stuff and have opinions to share?

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

I’m still finding 375’s of the old RB batch, @ 14.99 each.  I’m now up to two cases of them for the bunker.

Also snagged two more PS RRSB’s from a friends barrel pick.  

Gobble, gobble!????

Whats the Rickhouse on the RR... love those things

41 minutes ago, Cigars&Bourbon said:

Whats the Rickhouse on the RR... love those things

It's from the 4th floor of warehouse K.  Eddie let them sample all they wanted, which ended up being 13 barrels before they settled on this one. 

He also let them sample a 'dead' barrel of rye that seems to be a family fav ('dead', meaning it'll never be bottled).  He made them swear not to tell (Jimmy) on him!  This barrel will likely last a few years, but only going out only by the flask full.:D   

I'm sure sorry I wasn't there, because both guys doing the pick told me it's the best rye they've ever tasted.   

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, mrpipster said:

Yes sir, you did well at that price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.