What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed a bunch of stuff today.

Nothing wrong with any of it, just low on space.  :)

~new WT release

~super rare Henry McKenna 10 that everyone has been bunkering cases of lately...

~"dusty" 2015 bourye bottle

IMAG3387.jpg

IMAG3388.jpg

IMAG3389.jpg

Edited by 0895

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

~new WT release

~super rare Henry McKenna 10 that everyone has been bunkering cases of lately...

IMAG3387.jpg

IMAG3388.jpg

IMAG3389.jpg

Woah, I wish I could find the old Bourye for that price.

On 5/25/2018 at 4:21 PM, gurgalunas said:

I passed on the new Decades at retail, whatever that is (did not ask).  Store even offered $0.25 off per gallon of gas at their gas station.  Not interested enough in the high dollar Turkey, let alone a finished one.  Not my cup of tea...

Offering gas discounts when you buy liquor is an interesting concept.  I assume it is a loyalty program.  What if they would have thrown in a pizza?  ????

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

~new WT release

IMAG3388.jpg

Just curious on the HMcK.  You say "super rare" is that because it is becoming more difficult to find?  I still see it in Indy but the price is closer to $35.

Passed on these guys while in Napa, California. I should have known better than to ask prices after seeing WSR was $50, but my curiosity made me ask the price of the PVW23. It can be yours for a cool $2200.

20180522_194634.jpg

20180522_191820.jpg

4 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Just curious on the HMcK.  You say "super rare" is that because it is becoming more difficult to find?  I still see it in Indy but the price is closer to $35.

I was just joking.  There's been massive bunkering and attempted flipping of this since it won some award at the SF spirts thing...  I know guys who raced out and bought multiple cases the day after it won the award.  Guys who I've never seen drink it before.  It's perfectly good bourbon, but the whole thing has just been massively entertaining for me.  Go Taters Go!

4 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Offering gas discounts when you buy liquor is an interesting concept.  I assume it is a loyalty program.  What if they would have thrown in a pizza?  ????

It's a reward program at a chain of grocery stores.  Good liquor shops, but the program is geared more toward the grocery side, and treated like a sale price.  They expanded it to some liquor, especially high dollar bottles and slow movers.

On 5/21/2018 at 6:02 PM, bayouredd said:

Passed up these 2, since I have no idea what I am looking at or for. I do admit that I am tempted by the Smooth Ambler.

Looks like the Southwell is sourced & the SA Big Level is new.

What say the panel on opportunity?

pass1.thumb.jpg.b8b25fdefa9f882b7369a736a28a0ed3.jpg

Big Level is the new obsession with SB.com.  That seems like a resonable price to give it a try. As to opportunity I sugges striking while the iron is hot because I suspect it will go fast and not be all that plentiful. Or maybe not.

3 hours ago, DCFan said:

Big Level is the new obsession with SB.com.  That seems like a resonable price to give it a try. As to opportunity I sugges striking while the iron is hot because I suspect it will go fast and not be all that plentiful. Or maybe not.

I rushed out to get one..but seems like there is a lot out there.

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

I rushed out to get one..but seems like there is a lot out there.

None in my neck of the woods yet. In fact the only SAOS the ABC carries is Contradiction. I did see gin on the clearance shelf but I don’t need anymore gin.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:18 PM, lcpfratn said:

It’s happening everywhere, although those prices are a bit extreme. I just stop shopping much at those kind of stores and spend most of my money building on my relationships at stores that still want to be fair to their loyal customers. These stores that go to secondary pricing on LE and allocated stuff will still usually have good prices on a lot of mid and lower shelf stuff, but I’ll spend a buck or two more at a store that appreciates my business before I spend it in these stores. I do stop in occasionally to see if they have something others don’t have at reasonable pricing and occasionally score something, but for the most part I look around and usually just leave without buying anything and I don’t feel bad about it when I do.

I guess this is the way I feel also. Glad to see this response as I think that will be my direction...

• I like it 1

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:29 AM, PaulO said:

Bayouredd, it will be interesting to see if the store actually moves many bottles at those prices.  That will be the test.  It could backfire too: regular customers get mad, find new places to spend money, don't go back.

The counter girl seemed to thing that they will have to tone it down. 10 folks on the 4-grain list all said "NO"!!!

Passed Stagg Jr at two different stores for $50 each. I suppose most of you would have bought but it's not my wheelhouse.

54 minutes ago, Cigars&Bourbon said:

Passed Stagg Jr at two different stores for $50 each. I suppose most of you would have bought but it's not my wheelhouse.

Yeah I couldn't have passed them up. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Cigars&Bourbon said:

It gets a lot of love around here, but not in my wheelhouse either.  Early on I got a bottle to satisfy my curiosity.  It tasted like mediocre whiskey at a very high proof; a big blast of ethanol, not much else.

• I like it 1

It gets a lot of love around here, but not in my wheelhouse either.  Early on I got a bottle to satisfy my curiosity.  It tasted like mediocre whiskey at a very high proof; a big blast of ethanol, not much else.
Which batch was that? Or proof? I ask because batch 9 is mind blowing to me.

2 hours ago, newmennium said:
10 hours ago, PaulO said:

And batch 8 (129.5 proof) is amazing as well. 

15 hours ago, PaulO said:

If you had the first batch, I’d suggest you may be surprised if you revisit the other batches. Batch 1 was terrible, but it was also a bit of an anomaly as the subsequent batches are all significantly better. And I truly hated Batch 1 myself

• I like it 1

I passed on a 5 1/2 yr Tom's Foolery BIB for $41.95. If it were 6yrs old, I would have pulled the trigger probably. 

I've got a Batch #8 open and a Batch #9 bunkered.  Stagg Jr. is one of my favorite pours.

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, PaulO said:

Ethanol is what I got on batch #1.  It took a lot to find a happy place with that bottle.  I ended up blending it with Buffalo Trace and enjoying it that way.  Batch #3 on the other hand was stellar.  To be honest, I haven't seen it on the shelf since or, if I have, I was looking for something else.

On 5/28/2018 at 6:27 AM, newmennium said:
On 5/27/2018 at 10:26 PM, PaulO said:

It was the first bottle I ever found several years ago.  I can't recall batch or proof.  Maybe it was batch one (the same others didn't like).  I didn't dump it, just very far from being worth $50 to me.  Around that same time, the same store had ECBP and RHF about the same price.  So I gave up on Stagg Jr.  

Passed up on ECBP A118 at $62.99 in Michigan. I had bought 2 in Ohio for $49.99 and feel like that’s enough. The A batch was good, but C117 was just amazing so I had bought 4 bottles with 2 remaining.

Passed up on ECBP A118 at $62.99 in Michigan. I had bought 2 in Ohio for $49.99 and feel like that’s enough. The A batch was good, but C117 was just amazing so I had bought 4 bottles with 2 remaining.

I assume you meant batch C917.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Tabasco finish.  I imagine at some point I might purchase one, just to see if I could make a serviceable bloody mary out of it.  Today was not the day.  The bottling is damned cute though.  Excellent brand representation here.  

IMG_2012.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.