What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

21 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Passed on the limited "Sleepy Hollow" edition of Blanton's...

IMG_9742.thumb.PNG.0e9532fb33655249c7778e41a2724c29.PNGIMG_9743.thumb.PNG.5d2aa1979ae6b87aba3e471f02d19b01.PNG

HA!!!!     Washington Irving probably requested this, then asked about another brand while discussing options with Buffalo Trace: Old Rip Van Winkle.

• I like it 1

Went searching for CEHT4G tonight. Found two bottles for $375. The same store also had W12 for $225. I laughed at the girl and walked out. 

On 6/21/2018 at 8:54 AM, kevinbrink said:

I'll say this I have had it SBS with Redemption Wheated a few times now, I like the Ocean better but probably not $25 better. 

So the wheated Redemption actually exists?  I've been looking for it since announced and have yet to see one in the wild, but that was my thinking on passing, could the JO-W be that much better than R-W (and judging by the price on all the other R-_ bourbons).  I can wait awhile longer....

12 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

So the wheated Redemption actually exists?  I've been looking for it since announced and have yet to see one in the wild, but that was my thinking on passing, could the JO-W be that much better than R-W (and judging by the price on all the other R-_ bourbons).  I can wait awhile longer....

$47.99 for the Redemption Wheated Bourbon, $69.99 for the Jefferson's Ocean Wheated OTD.  Thank you, no for both.  But that's just me . . . .  (emoji still no workee!).

Edited by GeeTen

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

$47.99 for the Redemption Wheated Bourbon, $69.99 for the Jefferson's Ocean Wheated OTD.  Thank you, no for both.  But that's just me . . . .  (emoji still no workee!).

Well that's quite a bit more than the other Redemption varieties ($25-30 IIRC) that are generally plentiful.  Should Porky fly by and one appears on a shelf in front of me in the low $40ish range I'll likely grab it to try (start shedding pounds and growing wings Porky!!)  

Saw the JO around several places in L-ville in the $75-85 range.  It's kinda thoughtful in way that they make a pass so relatively easy.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

Well that's quite a bit more than the other Redemption varieties ($25-30 IIRC) that are generally plentiful.  Should Porky fly by and one appears on a shelf in front of me in the low $40ish range I'll likely grab it to try (start shedding pounds and growing wings Porky!!)  

Saw the JO around several places in L-ville in the $75-85 range.  It's kinda thoughtful in way that they make a pass so relatively easy.

The Wheated Redemption is more than the others here $35-$39, Ocean is all over the place $65-$100 

Also: RHF for $199.99

and the one that made me shake my head the most: Bakers for $89.99

Passed on RHF for $130 yesterday.  It wasn't even on the shelf, I asked the owner if he had any, he pulled it out of the back after I waited 10 minutes for him to get off the phone, and then he told me the price.  "If you have no intention of actually selling this bottle, at least put it in a glass case or something."

• I like it 2

I passed on WT Master’s Keep Decades on closeout for $90. I was tempted but decided to pass. Also passed on WT M.K. Revival for $130 and the latest Blood Oath for I think $85 which I have no interest in.

19 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I passed on WT Master’s Keep Decades on closeout for $90. I was tempted but decided to pass. Also passed on WT M.K. Revival for $130 and the latest Blood Oath for I think $85 which I have no interest in.

I passed on WT Decades at the same price today.  Seems like all the stores have it on sale here in DFW.  I guess the distributors are trying to make room for the new WT Revival and are giving it to stores at a discount.

Yup, I’ll likely get it at some point. I’m a WT fan
And down to my last RR luck and no other Turkey in the bunker.

I would have been a buyer of all three of those bottles. The Decades and Blood Oath pact #4 are both very nice bourbons. I have bottles of both, but I’d add to the bunker at those prices. I haven’t tried the Revival yet, but that’s a much better price than I’ll probably ever see in my area.

52 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

Passed on this gem today. 

2162139D-2BD1-4CBC-9CF3-26340CC51968.jpeg

Obviously you didn’t notice that San Fran Gold hardware. Better get back there quick. Haha!

• I like it 1

Passed on a load of stuff, not least a 20 year Van Winkle 20 for £1500. I went with a Springbank 10 in the end. 

• I like it 1

56 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

Passed on this gem today. 

2162139D-2BD1-4CBC-9CF3-26340CC51968.jpeg

A "Tribute" Bourbon?   Dedicated to the memory of Chahles Emuhson Wiiiinchestuh... the third.   No doubt.

• I like it 2

I would have been a buyer of all three of those bottles. The Decades and Blood Oath pact #4 are both very nice bourbons. I have bottles of both, but I’d add to the bunker at those prices. I haven’t tried the Revival yet, but that’s a much better price than I’ll probably ever see in my area.

Fully intend to get the Decades, won’t consider Revival before I try it. No interest in Blood Oath, seems to gimmicky.

4 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Obviously you didn’t notice that San Fran Gold hardware. Better get back there quick. Haha!

Yeah, at first glance some unsuspecting consumer may think the single barrel whiskey in the fancy box must be the Michael Phelps of whiskey. But that San Fran Gold is the participation trophy of whiskey it seems.

So I have never had Winchester before. Why the bad reputation with this?

12 minutes ago, mrpipster said:

It's one of those Total Wine Spirits Direct brands = crap beyond belief.

Edit: to clarify TW likes to hand pick these inferior juice from who knows where and market it under its Spirits Direct program. It's a trap. Spirits Direct is the graveyard of unwanted spirits.

Edited by Kane

1 hour ago, mrpipster said:

1 hour ago, Kane said:

It's one of those Total Wine Spirits Direct brands = crap beyond belief.

Edit: to clarify TW likes to hand pick these inferior juice from who knows where and market it under its Spirits Direct program. It's a trap. Spirits Direct is the graveyard of unwanted spirits.

I think that one is also "force aged" using the TerrePURE method.

https://www.terressentia.com/about/terrepure/

• I like it 1

I passed yo Bulleitt barrel strength at $50. I remember reading Bulleitt used to get their bourbon from 4R, but I haven't seen anything definitive where they get it now. If they were still getting 4R I'd buy that barrel strength in a heartbeat. As it is, I'll leave it be. Plus I place a good bit of trust in the good folks here. I'm not sure I've seen anyone post about it. 

6 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I passed yo Bulleitt barrel strength at $50. I remember reading Bulleitt used to get their bourbon from 4R, but I haven't seen anything definitive where they get it now. If they were still getting 4R I'd buy that barrel strength in a heartbeat. As it is, I'll leave it be. Plus I place a good bit of trust in the good folks here. I'm not sure I've seen anyone post about it. 

I tried and liked it. Some more experienced folk posted here as well. It's pretty good. That said I can find 4R BP picks and Stagg JR etc at that price, so never felt compelled to buy a bottle. If you have money to burn, by all means, it's worthy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.