What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

ER is plentiful everywhere. I think these guys were really, really confused.

It is fairly infrequent in South Carolina. Fairly priced when it lands but stores get it every 6 weeks or so (from what I can tell) and not much at that. 

16 hours ago, NDN98 said:

Passed on Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend at $149.99

Go back and get that! 

It's freaking delicious!

• I like it 2

On 4/22/2018 at 11:54 PM, PaulO said:

Check the back label.  Maybe it says distilled at DSP 31?  Distilled at DSP 1, bottled at DSP 31 are the more modern or current ones.

Looks like it's not quite that old. At least not pre-fire.  Went back today and checked. Aside from the DSP1..I wonder if the OW102511 on the right side of the label correlates to the bottling date. 

enhance

Edited by FasterHorses

2 hours ago, Kane said:

ER is plentiful everywhere. I think these guys were really, really confused.

I've only seen about 3 bottles on the shelf in my area since last December.  I bought two of them...  I think they come in to some stores, but they tend to be gone the same day...

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

9A56F9B9-0974-4F8A-9755-6B113E5A21B5.jpeg

That's the going rate for WSR in these parts. Easy pass...

This one worth picking up (the OF not the Ciroc)? Looks like it had a 2014 on the bottom..not sure though.

enhance

3 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I can name that store.  Their limited pricing is pretty terrible, but I really like going there when I'm in Maryland.  Maybe it's the terrible VA ABC system, but I enjoy that they get store picks and they put them at reasonable prices.  I also was fortunate enough to pick up an EH Taylor Barrel Proof and Rock Hill Farms from there last year that wasn't too poorly priced.

3 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

This one worth picking up (the OF not the Ciroc)? Looks like it had a 2014 on the bottom..not sure though.

enhance

That may be a bit older than '14 given the diamond label.  For some reason, the numbers on the bottoms of OF bottles didn't seem to correspond to actual dates.  Too bad it's not the 100 proof.  I'd probably grab it if the price was ok, and you like the OF house style.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I can name that store.  Their limited pricing is pretty terrible, but I really like going there when I'm in Maryland.  Maybe it's the terrible VA ABC system, but I enjoy that they get store picks and they put them at reasonable prices.  I also was fortunate enough to pick up an EH Taylor Barrel Proof and Rock Hill Farms from there last year that wasn't too poorly priced.

I agree, but the values are getting harder to find as more and more things are winding up behind the counter and those prices are increasing exponentially. RHF, CEHT BP and others used to be on the shelf. Stagg Jr. and ECBP used to be at the low end of retail. Now, they are all behind the counter at a minimum of 2x retail. I mostly go there for beer and common items which are priced right, plus they take 10% off any non sale items if you ask. 

PS - they don’t taste their store picks before buying them. 

13 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

enhance

I would if it was less than $25. OF sig seems to be kinda devisive around here but I always get this huge hit of banana puddinh on the nose that I really like. 

• I like it 2

I would if it was less than $25. OF sig seems to be kinda devisive around here but I always get this huge hit of banana puddinh on the nose that I really like. 

OF has a great banana pudding nose but tastes young with an unpleasant finish. I would love to try a good SB or maybe get a pour of Birthday.
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I agree, but the values are getting harder to find as more and more things are winding up behind the counter and those prices are increasing exponentially. RHF, CEHT BP and others used to be on the shelf. Stagg Jr. and ECBP used to be at the low end of retail. Now, they are all behind the counter at a minimum of 2x retail. I mostly go there for beer and common items which are priced right, plus they take 10% off any non sale items if you ask. 

PS - they don’t taste their store picks before buying them. 

The CEHTBP and RHF we’re behind the counter and a little over MSRP, but it wasn’t too bad. I did notice that the ECBP was $100 and I think Stagg JR was around $90. I can usually find those in VA if I’m on top of things. The 10% coupon is nice too. I don’t mind not tasting for a Four Roses pick. 

In NY burbs (Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow area) for work so i decided to check out a couple shops in the area. One place was ridiculous. W12 @$149.99, OWA @$99.99, WSR @$59.99, ETL @$99.99, ECBP (B517) @$99.99, GTS @$599.99. I didn’t even bother asking about the Van Winkle lineup. 

Another place had some tempting bottles but I passed since they weren’t tempting enough to check a bag for. Old style ECBP (139.4 i think) @$59.99. (Already have one in the bunker), Mitcher’s Barrel Strength Rye @$79.99(still thinking about this one), and Mitcher’s 10yr Single Barrel @$199.99.

Between both stores there were probably 20 bottles of ECBP on the shelf here. I’ve never seen more than 2 on the shelf at once.

1792 BiB. Not a bad price. I just have run out of room in the bunker.

Time to clear out a few bottles ;-)

• I like it 1

On 4/24/2018 at 7:28 PM, FasterHorses said:

enhance

I found one of those old diamond labels back at the end of August last year and loved it. I did a little research back then and the label was used between 2003 to 2012 that I could find. If its 20 bucks or less I would pick it up for a try as a solid drinker. I would always have a glass while watching the Titans last fall.

On 4/25/2018 at 8:36 PM, Jfletchgu said:

I found one of those old diamond labels back at the end of August last year and loved it. I did a little research back then and the label was used between 2003 to 2012 that I could find. If its 20 bucks or less I would pick it up for a try as a solid drinker. I would always have a glass while watching the Titans last fall.

What about that diamond label in the 1 liter of 100 proof. Saw one locally for about 35 bucks.  Is it worth it?

Passed on a good deal on ECBP 131.0 (called batch C these days?).  Honestly I have enough ECBP and need to put down some bottles before buying more of it.  OK, they say admitting  you have a problem is the first step.

• I like it 1

On 4/24/2018 at 6:57 PM, Charlutz said:

Ridiculous.  Anybody who would pay that for the Wellers is just a moron.

I was in Bardstown for our get together last week. While I did buy a few bottles, I passed on a lot. Even Weller! One of the numerous things I passed on was a handle of Weller SR at Toddy's for $199.99. Yeah. Go figure. <_<

Boba! Joe

On 4/30/2018 at 8:52 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

I was in Bardstown for our get together last week. While I did buy a few bottles, I passed on a lot. Even Weller! One of the numerous things I passed on was a handle of Weller SR at Toddy's for $199.99. Yeah. Go figure. <_<

Boba! Joe

Ha!!!  Who'da thunk it, the bourbon pimp rolling the bourbon tourists - only reason to stop there is for a laugh.

On 4/30/2018 at 8:52 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

Boba! Joe

A couple weeks ago I actually got to watch the new KY law (or whatever) in action (where stores can buy bottles secondary) at Toddy's.

Some guy pulled in just before me in a beater pickup truck, and when I got up to the register with my HH 6 year 90p green label, he was selling bottles of Willett 4 year rye, SAOS, Michters 10, and other goodies to the owner? / manager? of Toddys, who handed over cash, then immediately, in front of me, took out the pricing gun, marked the bottles, and put them on the top shelf at prices several times greater than he paid.

I did get a taste of Willett 4 year rye from the pickup truck guy who had one open to "sample" to his "customers", buying from him secondary.

Anyway, the whole thing was quite amusing.

I still love stopping in at Toddy's for my HH6 green label whenever I visit Bardstown.  It reminds me of my grandfathers house for some reason...

I'm surprised that law was allowed to pass.  It seems intuitive that some shady deals would go down.  Who checks for counterfeits?  Also, now stores have sources for liquor with no paper trail.  Why pay taxes?

As usual, I’m in KY and doing more passing than buying. Passed on Sunday me Blanton’s for $80 and RY10 for $84 amongst many others. Picked up a couple HHBIB6 for $13 to fill flasks for the Derby tomorrow instead, and I’ll drink from the in-laws’ bar for my neat pours

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.