Similar bourbons to Blanton's

Davey_Ziegler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am trying to get a birthday present for a friend whose favorite bourbon is Blanton's. Since it isn't available where I live, I am wondering if anyone is familiar enough with it to recommend a bourbon with a similar taste profile. Thanks!

Elmer T Lee and Rock Hill Farms both use the Buffalo Trace #2 mashbill, so they should be similar to Blanton's, though I'm not sure if they will be any easier for you to find. 

Some of Buffalo Trace's other brands use the # mash bill as well, check out this article: http://bourbonr.com/blog/updated-buffalo-trace-distillery-mash-bills/

Edited by EarthQuake

Basil Hayden's is a very light smooth drinker similar to Blanton's even though it's a different distiller. At a slightly higher price point is Jefferson's which is another easy smooth whiskey. I think most folks here would much rather have the Blanton's BUT if that's not an option you got to do something. ;)

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, Davey_Ziegler said:

I am trying to get a birthday present for a friend whose favorite bourbon is Blanton's. Since it isn't available where I live, I am wondering if anyone is familiar enough with it to recommend a bourbon with a similar taste profile. Thanks!

A little more info might help us help you out. :mellow: What other bourbons does your friend like? What bourbons do you like? Where do you live? etc....

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, fishnbowljoe said:

A little more info might help us help you out. :mellow: What other bourbons does your friend like? What bourbons do you like? Where do you live? etc....

Biba! Joe

Unfortunately, I only know his favorite. And I haven't done enough comparative tasting to know which bourbons I really like. I prefer the flavor of bourbon to scotch, Tennessee whiskey, etc., but I'm still very much a novice. I like Woodford Reserve but it's easy to name that one for its smoothness, and not necessarily for its distinct flavor vs. others perhaps? I would think if I get a decent brand, though, he's going to enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, FacePlant said:

Basil Hayden's is a very light smooth drinker similar to Blanton's even though it's a different distiller. At a slightly higher price point is Jefferson's which is another easy smooth whiskey. I think most folks here would much rather have the Blanton's BUT if that's not an option you got to do something. ;)

The Basil Hayden's is a very adroit and thoughtful recommendation!  It didn't enter my mind, but once I read this, I can definitely see it.  Different profile for sure, but offers a similar experience across the board.  Well done!

• I like it 2

I’d suggest Russells Reserve ten year. 

At 90 proof it is close to Blantons 93. 10 years it is probably older than Blantons by a few years. Similar mash bills (if you believe the bourbon internets). Available and less cash than Blantons. An all around solid bourbon (and Eddies weekend sipper). 

• I like it 2

Depending on where you live, you may be able to order online. Blanton’s or a lot of other choices. 

Edited by Charlutz

Another #2 mashbill BT product is Hancock’s President’s Reserve. It too may be somewhat hard to find because of the popularity of the #2 mashbill, but my local stores got a few cases recently (last six weeks or so) and they are still plentiful on the shelves... some regard it as kind of the black sheep of the #2 mashbill family, but I found it enjoyable, smooth but with a subtle complexity. 

Edit: similarly priced to Blanton’s as well

Edited by BigSkyDrams

6 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Grab a John J Bowman if you can find it. 

I second this one.

• I like it 1

It probably shouldn't be, but I have a store select EC that has an unbelievably similar finish to the Blantons. I find it easy to go from one to the other because of the finish. The EC is a bit stouter on the front end, but both have a dry oak finish, at least to me...

Thanks for all of the very helpful replies to this question. I'll be headed to one or two stores tonight, armed with my list. Since the Basil Hayden's and John J Bowman both got seconded, I'll probably give preference to them. I'm keeping all of them in mind for my own possible purchase and sampling. Because....I need to be drinking more bourbon. 

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

So...I went into my favorite liquor store armed with suggestions. As I started asking which ones they had and prices, I felt that I wanted to spend a little more money on the gift. I ended up asking, "You don't happen to have Blanton's, do you?" The owner and his main employee (both very knowledgeable) said they didn't have any right now, but then they started talking about one that had blown them away when they had recently tasted it: Calumet. One of them said, "I like it even better than Blanton's." So that's what I ended up purchasing. I'll have to get word on what the recipient thought of it when I see him in the summer. 

I am keeping the list of suggestions, and plan to buy some of them for myself to try. 

49 minutes ago, Davey_Ziegler said:

So...I went into my favorite liquor store armed with suggestions. As I started asking which ones they had and prices, I felt that I wanted to spend a little more money on the gift. I ended up asking, "You don't happen to have Blanton's, do you?" The owner and his main employee (both very knowledgeable) said they didn't have any right now, but then they started talking about one that had blown them away when they had recently tasted it: Calumet. One of them said, "I like it even better than Blanton's." So that's what I ended up purchasing. I'll have to get word on what the recipient thought of it when I see him in the summer. 

I am keeping the list of suggestions, and plan to buy some of them for myself to try. 

Next time try another store.

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Davey_Ziegler said:

I hope your friend likes it. I don't mean to be rude, but unfortunately this sounds like a case of store employees trying to pass off what is in all likelihood, a not great bourbon (I haven't tried it so I can't offer an opinion). Unless you know the people who work at the store and know they have good taste, it's generally best to avoid recommendations. You never know if they're pushing you towards something because they can't sell it, because their boss told them to, or because they actually like it.

Calumet is a mystery sourced whiskey (who distills it? nobody knows) from the makers of Bird Dog flavored whiskey in an attempt to release a more "up market" or premium product. To make matters worse, it's been getting pretty bad reviews:

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2014/05/calumet-farm-bourbon-dont-buy-farm.html

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/whiskey-review-western-spirits-calumet-farm-bourbon-whiskey/

http://www.bourbonguy.com/blog/2017/3/7/calumet-farms

Now, it doesn't seem like it's an awful bourbon by any means, and everyone's palate is different, so hopefully it will all be fine.

Sourced whiskey isn't in itself bad or objectionable, but not disclosing where it comes from is somewhat shady. There are a lot of great sourced producers out there, High West, Smooth Ambler, Belle Meade, Joseph Magnus, Barrell, etc, but they are all generally quite open about where the whiskey comes from, and what they sell tends to be rather good.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

Ahhhh! Ok, thanks. I'll stick with recommendations from people not selling the product in the future. 

• I like it 2

31 minutes ago, Davey_Ziegler said:

Ahhhh! Ok, thanks. I'll stick with recommendations from people not selling the product in the future. 

Davey,

Yours is rather a sad story.  I am afraid you got snookered here on this Calumet.  You may notice that the label says "Bourbon Whiskey"  not  Straight  Bourbon Whiskey.  This means that your bottle is only 2 year old bourbon and not the 4 required for straight bourbon, without an age statement.  If there is any way you can return it and exchange for any of the recommendations posted previously I encourage you to do so.  I may suggest one that will make an awesome gift for around $40 that would be the... " Col. E. H. Taylor Small Batch "  It comes in an impressive looking tube and would make an unquestionably good choice for you.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Davey_Ziegler said:

This wasn't a Total Wine & More establishment, was it???    :wacko:  

I know - just commenting on their modus operendi of pushing their stuff over National brands.  And I do know that Calumet is not a "SD" product - at least I never had to push it when I worked there.   :P

Some of the Calumet Private Selection Single Barrel store picks are actually pretty decent, but I’d probably steer clear of them otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be able to return the bottle if it's not been opened.  Especially since they pushed it and the reviews are less than stellar.  

• I like it 1

A friend of mine picked up a bottle of the Single Rack Black Calumet.  It's not bad but a lot of the other mentioned ones are significantly better.

Since this thread got revived, I did come up with a couple replacements for Blanton's.  Blanton's is a 90 something proof easy drinker.

I came up with Eagle Rare (not really my thing but many folks like it) and Four Roses Small Batch.    

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.