What Water of Life Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2018

BigRich
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ordered some ales from one of my favourite breweries (Palmers, from Dorset in the UK) along with a bottle of their own blend, Golden Cap, which they describe as "a generous 50-50 blend of North British Distillery Single Grain and Glen Grant Single Malt, married with our own spring water". Shame about the abv, though. And the colour. Good price for the size though. 

image.thumb.png.214fc953cf210c0b6dd27d4183a73caa.png

Bought a bottle of Glenfiddich Fire and Cane at Trader Joe's because peat finished in rum sounds just interesting enough for me to overlook the likely gimmickness of the release.  Read a few decent reviews.  Hopefully have it open by the end of the weekend.

• I like it 1

Fresh off finishing a post lamenting that I need to stop buying so much whiskey . . . here are tonight's acquisition ;)  (having a plan and successfully executing are two entirely different things).  Both of the GKS are private marrying cask selections, and The Spaniard is a new addition to the CB lineup.  Got to try all three tonight (thanks Bruce for the heads up on the tasting!) and thought they were all solid.  Last year's GKS Artists Blend private cask from the same store was pretty awesome.  I can't say this one hit me as strongly (although coming at the end of a workday, wasn't in top nosing form), but for $50 - a damn solid bottle of scotch.  The GKS Glasgow Blend, which on paper I would have guessed would be more in my wheelhouse, also didn't completely blow me away - but thought it was a damn nice bottle for $50.  The Spaniard was definitely my favorite of the bunch - at least tonight, and was at a discount if you bought either of the GKS.  Looking forward to spending some quality time with my new CB friends :) 

IMG_20181025_201626.thumb.jpg.42d0dfca623a4abb4687e3e4dc600f30.jpg

18 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Fresh off finishing a post lamenting that I need to stop buying so much whiskey . . . here are tonight's acquisition ;)  (having a plan and successfully executing are two entirely different things).  Both of the GKS are private marrying cask selections, and The Spaniard is a new addition to the CB lineup.  Got to try all three tonight (thanks Bruce for the heads up on the tasting!) and thought they were all solid.  Last year's GKS Artists Blend private cask from the same store was pretty awesome.  I can't say this one hit me as strongly (although coming at the end of a workday, wasn't in top nosing form), but for $50 - a damn solid bottle of scotch.  The GKS Glasgow Blend, which on paper I would have guessed would be more in my wheelhouse, also didn't completely blow me away - but thought it was a damn nice bottle for $50.  The Spaniard was definitely my favorite of the bunch - at least tonight, and was at a discount if you bought either of the GKS.  Looking forward to spending some quality time with my new CB friends :) 

IMG_20181025_201626.thumb.jpg.42d0dfca623a4abb4687e3e4dc600f30.jpg

I'd like to find a Single Marrying Cask of Glasgow blend, I quite like the Artist blend SMC I have which is quite a bit better than the regular bottle. 

A very long week of work was rewarded with a pleasant surprise today...1996 MaCallan 18 and RVW10 ?

IMG_1875.thumb.jpg.85ef03197ccec4fa409f1843762022a9.jpg

Edited by JvW
emojis
  • I like it 1

Still didn’t find what I was looking for today but a local had Lagavulin 16 for $89.99. I haven’t seen it under $99.99 in quite a while. So I grabbed one.....and a couple of store pick OBSFs at 10 1/2 yrs.

Damn I bought a lot more whiskey today than I intended.

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, JvW said:

First time seen in the wild in my part of the Commonwealth...

I thought the age statement was going away on the Yamazaki?

32 minutes ago, dad-proof said:

I thought the age statement was going away on the Yamazaki?

I don't think there was a specific plan for it to go away forever. They had a shortage, much like most whisky makers did, but if and when they started to catch up I think we can again see age statements.

And much higher prices...

• I like it 1

No info on type of cask but this was a significant chunk cheaper than the standard 21 so couldn't resist. 

Screenshot_20181102-230440_Gallery.jpg

• I like it 4

• 4 months later...

Well my 50th birthday is coming up here in a few months. I am planning a whiskey tasting party with family and a couple of friends. Myself I love whiskey. I want to share this experience as well. The first one I bought was a Balvenie 12 year old single barrel first fill. That was about 2 weeks ago. I just went out and purchased a Glenfiddich IPA #1 Experimental. Seems to have some decent reviews. Since I love a good IPA beer. Thought I would purchase this one for my 50th. 

• 2 weeks later...

"Hello darkness, my old friend, I've come to talk with you again..." found a 2017 Classic Cut dusty on the shelve.  Love that vintage and just excited to have brought it home.

985631402_2017MaCallanClassicCut.thumb.jpg.5d2a7a6cc8b73263bdfcdec98f982114.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.