What Water of Life Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2018

BigRich
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 6/11/2018 at 5:58 PM, Marekv8 said:

Took a bit of walking around New York today-- but the weather was certainly nice. Apparently both the HP The Light and Longrow Red just landed this morning. A little heavy on the wine cask matured juice-- maybe tomorrow will bring some balance to the mix.

Seems like it has been hard to keep up with Longrow Red releases of late. These are the ones I can remember. Did they skip 2016?

Longrow Red Series

2012 – Cabernet Sauvignon 11yo (7y bourbon / 4y wine) 52.1 ABV

2013 – Shiraz 11yo (6y bourbon / 5y wine) 53.7 ABV

2014 – Port 11yo (Full port maturation) 51.8 ABV

2015 – Pinot Noir 12yo (11y Bourbon / 1y wine) 52.9 ABV

2016 – None?

2017 – Malbec 13yo (12y bourbon / 15m wine) 51.3 ABV

2018 – Cabernet Franc 11yo (9y Bourbon / 2y wine 55.9 ABV

20 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Seems like it has been hard to keep up with Longrow Red releases of late. These are the ones I can remember. Did they skip 2016?

Longrow Red Series

2012 – Cabernet Sauvignon 11yo (7y bourbon / 4y wine) 52.1 ABV

2013 – Shiraz 11yo (6y bourbon / 5y wine) 53.7 ABV

2014 – Port 11yo (Full port maturation) 51.8 ABV

2015 – Pinot Noir 12yo (11y Bourbon / 1y wine) 52.9 ABV

2016 – None?

2017 – Malbec 13yo (12y bourbon / 15m wine) 51.3 ABV

2018 – Cabernet Franc 11yo (9y Bourbon / 2y wine 55.9 ABV

Yes, seems like they did. I'm still hunting down a bottle of the Port 11; had a few false leads… but I'm sure it'll turn up in rural Connecticut as usual.

Before we voted in a primary (yeah, Wash DC DOES have primaries), Wife shopped for rosés while I checked bourbons and ryes.  Picked up a SA BL wheated and, at check-out, saw a Redbreast Lustau finish.  The Redbreast came home with the other stuff, and some is sitting in a glass near me as I type.

Nice warmth for a 92 proof, and its own tasting notes pretty much describe it.  YUM!

Edited by Harry in WashDC

Rural Connecticut always comes through-- but this sucker was distilled when I graduated high school. 

IMG_9720.thumb.JPG.0b9a675e816ea376828fea33ba8044a0.JPG

• I like it 2

Dinner with friends, a good reason to enjoy a couple of Compass Box releases. 

IMG_20180621_233437.thumb.jpg.9fb5fdef5bb3301130887bee7c97ab0f.jpg

Took delivery of some Millstone this morning. Curious to see what the FB pick is like.

image.thumb.png.c39e8a8eee4beab6784bd4ac96366fa7.png

I was hoping to find a dusty bottle of Longmorn 16 in CT, but I have a good feeling about this one…

IMG_9751.thumb.JPG.c6c02e5c94b0563d9b10f6cf01a402a1.JPG

A couple of Connecticut pick-ups-- trying to fill the remaining gaps in examples from Diageo's 28 operational distilleries… leaves me with only five to find-- Glen Spey, Knockando, Lock Dhu, Strathmill and Roseisle.

IMG_9721.thumb.JPG.730b9adac8a77fb17eaea100e7c7e63d.JPG

I'm two bottles over my safe transport limit, but this bottle of Compass Box Delilah's XXV (at least I hope that's what is under the back paper) appeared unexpectedly just a few blocks from the hotel and I had a feeling that it was my only opportunity…

IMG_9758.thumb.JPG.46c9d44a22d328e958745d2115b8a49a.JPG

On 6/21/2018 at 11:49 PM, dad-proof said:

Dinner with friends, a good reason to enjoy a couple of Compass Box releases. 

IMG_20180621_233437.thumb.jpg.9fb5fdef5bb3301130887bee7c97ab0f.jpg

Love the Compass Box, especially that DBH marrying cask GKS. I think there are only 3 or 4 of those left. I added one more to my pile just because!

We also have a new Artists Blend GKS marrying cask on the way and I am pretty sure we were able to lock down a really excellent Glasgow Blend GKS marrying cask with a rather unusual provenance as well. Not sure when the first one will be in but the Glasgow Blend likely won't arrive until the fall.

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Love the Compass Box, especially that DBH marrying cask GKS. I think there are only 3 or 4 of those left. I added one more to my pile just because!

We also have a new Artists Blend GKS marrying cask on the way and I am pretty sure we were able to lock down a really excellent Glasgow Blend GKS marrying cask with a rather unusual provenance as well. Not sure when the first one will be in but the Glasgow Blend likely won't arrive until the fall.

Awesome, thanks for the inside scoop. Given my bunker relative to rate of consumption, the store picks at DBH make up the bulk of my purchases, so I'lll be sure to check in every few weeks. Hope the new Artists Blend has the same creamy mouthfeel and balance! 

I guess I liked the BB&R Benrinnes a bit too much last night…

IMG_9769.thumb.jpg.00c8c92b494bd676339c01a3622dd7d1.jpg

On 6/23/2018 at 2:49 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Looking forward to both.  Keep your ol’ buddy Joe in the loop!  :D

• I like it 1

And here I was just thinking “damn I just have too much disposable income at the moment....”

9 hours ago, BigRich said:

And here I was just thinking “damn I just have too much disposable income at the moment....”

I was just thinking "Well honey . . . I always budget for our barrel pick, so think of these sorta like that!" :)  That first DBH GKS is pretty great stuff!

The all-new Port Charlotte structure (to help differentiate their heavily peated and standard offerings) and a nice Flora & Fauna.

IMG_9778.thumb.jpg.1f057088d09ac061fa1c8c0c830b61c9.jpg

IMG_9779.thumb.jpg.963d12926eaf39bf61201c1b8668d377.jpg

• I like it 2

I went into a liquor store that I don’t often visit and saw all the interesting bourbons (ETL, New Old Fitz Decanter, PHC,etc) behind the plexiglass case where you have to buy a private selection bottle to get an entry into the lottery for a chance to buy the interesting stuff.

So curiosity got the better of me and I grabbed a Macallan Edition No.3. My love hate relationship with Macallan hasn’t quite sunk to the low of just not buying it anymore. Funny though, whenever I bitch too much about the downfall in quality, age statements, availability, and rising cost of bourbon then Macallan is my touchstone of just how crazy far it can go.

• I like it 1

I was looking for something unusual with a 17 year age statement to celebrate the official release today from a 17-year business-related burden. I figured this was 17 + 20, so it still works.

IMG_9786.thumb.jpg.6979576f7bff1003fa748b145c2d1187.jpg

• I like it 1

I was looking for something unusual with a 17 year age statement to celebrate the official release today from a 17-year business-related burden. I figured this was 17 + 20, so it still works.

IMG_9786.thumb.jpg.6979576f7bff1003fa748b145c2d1187.jpg

Where does he get those wonderful toys? [emoji41]

I've been looking for this one since it was announced, excited to try it. 

y4m-KMdcYk0IhH0d5hJH-eBG_sVhY6I4mWTa-Xrn

On 7/1/2018 at 8:58 PM, kevinbrink said:

I've been looking for this one since it was announced, excited to try it. 

y4m-KMdcYk0IhH0d5hJH-eBG_sVhY6I4mWTa-Xrn

I was quite taken with this one-- I think you're going to enjoy it. I found it extremely well-balanced in regards to proof/maturation/complexity of spirit.

• I like it 1

I had a memorable experience with the Fire Edition in NYC back in March, so I opted for the Ice instead. It had been sitting there forever, and I couldn't pass up the deep discount offered.

IMG_9864.thumb.jpg.81ce664749c0e1a4e543f95a74620f11.jpg

Bought this in a liquor store in Denmark because it was highly recommended by the manager after she let me taste a bunch of stuff including a nice sized tasting pour of Glenfarclas 40yo that she was currently out of, but still had an open bottle for tasting. Unfortunately, she only received a couple of bottles of this Ledaig bottling, so she didn't have any for me to taste, but she had been to a tasting of A D Rattray selections, and this was one of the favorites at the tasting. I'm looking forward to opening this when I get back home.
IMG_0287.JPG

• I like it 2

Visited the Braunstein Distillery in Denmark for the second time this weekend for a whisky tasting. They now have some 12yo single malt whisky, but my choice of the day was actually their 2017 small batch release 17:1 that was matured in sherry butts (around 10yo if I remember correctly) . This is a really nice single malt whisky, but pricey as most micro-distillery products are. This one is actually worth the price to me though. The rum is discussed in a separate post in the Rum section.
IMG_0285.JPG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.