Peerless Rye

Postal Grunt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Perhaps it's a sign that I need to get out and about more often but I saw the first bottle of Peerless Rye that I've ever seen this morning in a wine and spirits department of a MO supermarket. I've read a little about the efforts of the business to re-establish the brand name and certainly hold no ill will towards them.  However, the bottle sitting on the top shelf behind the checkout counter weighed in at $113 for a 750ml. A nice looking bottle but I'll pass on that one.

It's a good rye, but the price-point they choose to enter the market at leaves one to wonder what the hell they were thinking!  :rolleyes:

I will say its impressive  for a 2y Rye, but I don't understand the price. I haven't bought one and want at the price. I'm usually a sucker to buy bottles like this but I held off. I did get to taste it, and its a good Rye. I will give them a thumbs up on putting details on the label.  

If they’re smart they’ll have Cadie sign the bottles.  :lol:

• 3 months later...

I suckered myself into getting a bottle.     Didn't have high expectations for a 2-year-old; but I was very pleasantly surprised at the color, nose and palate for a 2-yr. 

The fact that it's BP, and NCF is in it's favor. 

The label touts it as sweet mash distilled (no idea why). 

I like it pretty well.    Not worth the cheddar; but not sorry I bought it either.    I don't see me buying a replacement though, unless the price comes down by half.

On 7/16/2018 at 10:47 AM, Richnimrod said:

The label touts it as sweet mash distilled (no idea why). 

That's because it IS a sweet mash and not a sour mash (which the majority of bourbons and ryes are). They don't use any backset in fermentation That start brand new every time.

5 hours ago, flahute said:

That's because it IS a sweet mash and not a sour mash (which the majority of bourbons and ryes are). They don't use any backset in fermentation That start brand new every time.

I understood why it would be called sweet mash, since that's how they choose to distill.    I wasn't clear, I guess. 

I was wondering why they choose to use all new mash (without backset), as nearly all other American distillers of straight whiskeys do. 

I was under the impression that using the backset (sour mash) was a relatively easy and sure way to obtain consistent, predictable results.    Thus my wonder; why not do like so many others, if it works so well....

Thus my wonder; why not do like so many others, if it works so well....

But isn’t that a key question for a lot of things “craft” distillers “choose” to do differently? I mean, it’s not like there isn’t a fairly clear path to make at least drinkable/decent bourbon/Rye. Spelt and quinoa aren’t exactly in that line of thinking but they keep doing the weird shit anyway.

5 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I understood why it would be called sweet mash, since that's how they choose to distill.    I wasn't clear, I guess. 

I was wondering why they choose to use all new mash (without backset), as nearly all other American distillers of straight whiskeys do. 

I was under the impression that using the backset (sour mash) was a relatively easy and sure way to obtain consistent, predictable results.    Thus my wonder; why not do like so many others, if it works so well....

Ah but of course, that makes sense. I thought  that you knew so I was confused by your comment. 

Your understanding of the sour mash process is correct of course. Peerless (and many others) believe that sweet mash results in better flavor which is why they do it. The reason everyone doesn’t do it is because of the increased risk and because it costs more due to the extra time you need to spend cleaning and decontaminating the fermenters between each batch. 

I like what Peerless is doing. I hate the price. Proof is in the pudding though so we’ll see how they stack up at 4 years old and above. 

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, flahute said:

Peerless (and many others) believe that sweet mash results in better flavor which is why they do it.

I like what Peerless is doing. I hate the price. Proof is in the pudding though so we’ll see how they stack up at 4 years old and above. 

I totally agree with all of this^^^^^.     I am nobody's expert on Straight Ryes; but this bottle (see above) is easily the very best 2-year-old SR I've ever had the pleasure to sample.     The full and balanced flavor I get from this, not to mention a very nice color, good mouthfeel and a decent nose all suggest it will be a big winner at or above 4-years.     As you mention, however, at the likely price by then I may never experience such.

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

I totally agree with all of this^^^^^.     I am nobody's expert on Straight Ryes; but this bottle (see above) is easily the very best 2-year-old SR I've ever had the pleasure to sample.     The full and balanced flavor I get from this, not to mention a very nice color, good mouthfeel and a decent nose all suggest it will be a big winner at or above 4-years.     As you mention, however, at the likely price by then I may never experience such.

Supposedly the price will stay the same as it ages. We will see. 

21 hours ago, BigRich said:

But isn’t that a key question for a lot of things “craft” distillers “choose” to do differently? I mean, it’s not like there isn’t a fairly clear path to make at least drinkable/decent bourbon/Rye. Spelt and quinoa aren’t exactly in that line of thinking but they keep doing the weird shit anyway.

While I'm not a strong supporter of the craft movement, I do think this weird shit is exactly what they should be doing.  I think their efforts at trying to make a better bourbon or rye than the major producers doesn't make sense, because they can't compete on price (although Peerless is evidently proving that price is what you make of it I guess).  I keep picturing Will Smith laying it out to Kevin James in the movie Hitch when trying to team him how to dance.  "This is where you live".  I think the slightly odd (or completely outrageous) is where craft should live.

6 hours ago, flahute said:

Supposedly the price will stay the same as it ages. We will see. 

As in the 4 yr will be the same price as the 2 yr?  Or the price per year ratio will stay the same?  Because if the former - I'll be a buyer in another . . . 8 years?

• I like it 2

Apparently Peerless will be pouring their 3 year old version at WhiskyFest NYC in December-- not an ideal environment for a true tasting experience, but at least I'll get a general idea of the potential difference.

On 7/18/2018 at 11:38 AM, Richnimrod said:

why not do like so many others, if it works so well....

...because then they'd have peers...

• I like it 6

25 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

How many shows nightly are you doing?

:D

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

Heeee-He!   Good one, Tot!    Entirely likely, as well, I don't doubt.

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

I thought that was in reference to their balls with charging $100+ for a 2 yr rye?  But I guess it could be broader :) 

• I like it 2

When I see a bottle of Lock, Stock and Barrel 16yo sitting next to a bottle of Peerless 2yo, and the price of the Peerless is almost as much as the Lock, Stock and Barrel, I know which one I might think about buying (actually, I have bought a bottle), and which one I think will likely continue to gather dust on the shelf. They're both expensive, but one is grossly overpriced, while the other is just expensive.

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

but one is grossly overpriced

Amen to that. Saw one tonight for $139.99 :o

Amen to that. Saw one tonight for $139.99 [emoji33]

Wow! I’m seeing Peerless for around $120 to $125 in my area, but I’m sure there are some stores selling it for more.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stopped by a local chain store today in a different area of Indy and saw Peerless Rye on sale for $59.99.  Interestingly, they had one in their glass case for $129.99 which was the original price when they first got it.  They have since lowered the regular price to $99.99.  Now, it is on sale for $59.99.  They had several cases on an end display.  I noticed the sale started in October and doesn't end until January.  It appears they are trying to move this stuff.  I was at my local store in this chain recently and I don't recall having seen it at the sale price, even though it has apparently been on sale for almost 2 months.

Laughing my arse off at the bloggersphere circle jerk pandering on this one...

• I like it 3

On 12/1/2018 at 11:50 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Stopped by a local chain store today in a different area of Indy and saw Peerless Rye on sale for $59.99.  Interestingly, they had one in their glass case for $129.99 which was the original price when they first got it.  They have since lowered the regular price to $99.99.  Now, it is on sale for $59.99.  They had several cases on an end display.  I noticed the sale started in October and doesn't end until January.  It appears they are trying to move this stuff.  I was at my local store in this chain recently and I don't recall having seen it at the sale price, even though it has apparently been on sale for almost 2 months.

Wow $59.99!!! Pass

You can’t have 24 month old shelf turds sitting next to 36 month old shelf turds for the same price. 

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.