Weller CYPB

Clueby
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just read about new Weller LE release called "CYPB" for "craft your perfect bourbon". It's an 8 year age stated at 95 proof. Am I the only one asking...why? Just give us more OWA!!

• I like it 3

So is this the leading wheater from the Single Oak Project (since the winner was a rye recipe)?  I wonder if this CYPB will be done a few times over (could do a Buffalo Trace CYPB for the rye recipe).  Or if the true winner will get a new brand all together?

Excerpt from WhiskeyReviewer.com:

"In November 2015, Buffalo Trace Distillery launched its “Craft Your Perfect Bourbon” website, in a lighthearted attempt to teach people about bourbon. The interactive experience allows fans to choose their bourbon recipe, warehouse placement, age, and proof.  In just over two years, 100,239 bourbon drinkers completed the process of “crafting” their perfect bourbon, and most of those participants chose a wheated bourbon recipe aged for eight years. Most also chose for their barrel to mature on the top floor of the bourbon warehouse and ultimately be bottled at somewhere between 90-99 proof.

Following these wishes, Buffalo Trace Distillery will be releasing a new edition of W. L. Weller Bourbon called “CYPB,” short for Craft Your Perfect Bourbon. As directed, this bourbon will be made from a wheat recipe, aged eight years on the top floors of the warehouses, and bottled at 95 proof. Although very limited, one batch of this new bourbon will be released each year, beginning this summer. The recommended price is $39.99 for a 750ml bottle.

“Although we certainly didn’t set out to produce a new bourbon based on this ‘Craft Your Own’ experience, the results are overwhelmingly consistent, so why not give whiskey drinkers what they want?!’” explained Kris Comstock, senior marketing director. “We’re thrilled how so many fans have interacted with the website, and we hope more will try their hand at crafting their perfect bourbon.”

http://whiskeyreviewer.com/2018/03/buffalo-trace-offering-a-new-fan-pleaser-weller-032718/

Which wheater is already taking up this location in the rickhouse?  Since the online Craft Your Perfect Bourbon website feature went live in November of 2015, the barrels would have been aging for 6 years already before the "interactive experience" went live.  Add time for the data to be collected and I bet the bourbon was at least 7 years aged before the CYPB idea came about.  So, my guess is that they are bottling an existing product that is maybe aged an extra year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fanboy for nearly all things BT.  Just trying to tease through the info to figure out what to expect from this release...

Edited by gurgalunas
  • I like it 3

As if they needed a reason to sell more Weller. They can't keep what they already release on shelves.

• I like it 2

Any info on how many barrels they have of this? Wondering if I will even get one.

4 hours ago, No_Reception said:

Wondering if I will even get one.

Short answer?    Hope for one; but prepare for none.

• I like it 5

I would expect the average person going to BT's website and completing this exercise to be a relatively experienced drinker, and yet the proof leads me to believe otherwise. I just completed the CYPB exercise on the BT website for the first time, however, and the proof range of 90-99 is listed as "Smooth" (there are four ranges: "Mellow" - 80-89 proof; "Smooth" - 90-99 proof; "Robust" - 100-120 proof; and "Bold" 121-140 proof). I guess smooth is still paramount.

• I like it 2

32 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Hope for one; but prepare for none.

That's mighty catchy!

• I like it 2

FWIW, Gavin0791 sent me an email about this yesterday. I thought it was interesting, so I decided to dig a little deeper. Then it hit me. My CRS disease aside, I actually remembered when BT did this. :huh: I even remembered taking part, and basically what my recipe was. I bet y'all can't guess what my recipe was. :unsure: Being the Weller whore of SB that I am, of course it was a wheated mash bill. IIRC, it was 100 proof, aged 10 years and stored in the middle floors of a rick house. Basically Weller Centennial or my freaking Weller Blend. <_< Need I say more?  :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Kpiz said:

That's mighty catchy!

Well, even though I have yet to copyright it... You have my express (typed) permission to use and/or abuse it will, Kpiz!    HA!  :lol:

• I like it 1

I do remember this from their site, and thought it was cute - but don't recall what my results were (other than I'm sure it was a higher proof offering!)

• I like it 1

Let's see... 8 years, 95 proof, all from the top of the rickhouse, and at the bargain basement price of $39.99.  Weller don't need any gimic's, and this sure seems like one to me.:rolleyes:

I think I'll stick with OWA (nearly 7 years and 107 proof), and avoid the mass hysteria this will surely create. 

• I like it 2

Should we move this to the general forum? Not really a premium at $40.  /sarc 

As if a significant percentage of people will actually get it for retail without a good relationship or connection. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

Let's see... 8 years, 95 proof, all from the top of the rickhouse, and at the bargain basement price of $39.99.  Weller don't need any gimic's, and this sure seems like one to me.:rolleyes:

I think I'll stick with OWA (nearly 7 years and 107 proof), and avoid the mass hysteria this will surely create. 

I agree, I'm not standing in line for this one.  I'll let a few connections know I wouldn't mind trying one, but I won't be paying above msrp, and not lose any sleep if I miss out.

3 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

As if a significant percentage of people will actually get it for retail without a good relationship or connection. 

Fortunately, I have a couple of those...

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Paddy said:

Yep!

OWA is easy to get for me and it tastes fantastic. I’ll let everyone fall over themselves trying to get this while I keep buying OWA at msrp. 

• I like it 3

Hmm, I've seen WSR at $49.99 and $59.99 at two different stores recently. The likelihood that this new offering will sell anywhere near MSRP in this area, if any makes it this far north, is slim and none. Bummer.

19 hours ago, flahute said:

Yep!

OWA is easy to get for me and it tastes fantastic. I’ll let everyone fall over themselves trying to get this while I keep buying OWA at msrp. 

I hear you Steve. I consider myself extremely lucky over the last few months as far as finding a few Weller's is concerned.  I can only hope my luck continues.

The pressure might be on though concerning the CYPB. My nephew Mike/galvin0791, has let me know that if anyone in our area can find it, he thinks it'll be the Weller Whore of SB. :huh:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 2:37 PM, Kpiz said:

I would expect the average person going to BT's website and completing this exercise to be a relatively experienced drinker, and yet the proof leads me to believe otherwise. I just completed the CYPB exercise on the BT website for the first time, however, and the proof range of 90-99 is listed as "Smooth" (there are four ranges: "Mellow" - 80-89 proof; "Smooth" - 90-99 proof; "Robust" - 100-120 proof; and "Bold" 121-140 proof). I guess smooth is still paramount.

I'm just a bold kind of fella I guess

On 3/29/2018 at 3:02 PM, Paddy said:

Why put it up high in the rick house, gain all those extra proof points, just to water it down?!

agree, OWA scratches any and all wheater needs I may have. 

Edited by Mako254

2 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Why put it up high in the rick house, gain all those extra proof points, just to water it down?!

agree, OWA scratches any and all wheater needs I may have. 

Different flavors than aging lower.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I actually had my hands on a bottle of this last Thursday.  :o Sadly, Mark Brown and Kris Comstock wouldn't let me keep it. :( What can I say? :D

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone laid eyes on a bottler of the new weller? Wonder how it taste too?

A quick google search reveals nothing, so I don’t believe anyone has had hands on it yet. I alerted my local store about and even showed them a pic of the bottle to hopefully keep me in mind when it does arrive

There was already a thread on this topic, so I merged them.  Remember, the search function is your friend. :mellow:

As to your question, see my post up thread.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.