Weller CYPB

Clueby
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a bottle of this yesterday. I'll let everyone know what I think. May even SBS with W12 and OWA.

Im curious so let us know. What Ive heard so far is there will be little of this to go around, & being a BT product & a Weller on top of that, it will be very hard to find. So as a fortunate one, give us that SBS!

• I like it 1

I'm thinking Monday night. Looking forward to the SBS with the W12. I've nursed the lone bottle I've managed to get my hands on for almost 2 years only drinking it when I feel I'm due a reward. 

• I like it 1

Got to try some and thought it was a good $40 bottle. The nose was very sweet, but it didn’t drink nearly as sweet. However, the prices that I’ve seen people are paying are not even close to warranted. You can just get a store pick of OWA and it’s just as good. There is nothing that distinguishes CYPB except the label. 

I thought it was decent if found at regular retail ($40). Probably a $30-$40 bourbon. As mentioned, the nose was super sweet (brown sugar, honey, vanilla), but I thought it was a little thin and hot (which I get from a lot of wheaters) while offering up some good flavors. A lot of bitter oak on the backend. The Weller profile is definitely there, but masked behind a lot of heat and spice probably due to the barrels used being all from the upper level of the Rickhouse. Glad I tried it.

• I like it 1

On 7/30/2018 at 7:24 PM, KyleCBreese said:

Got to try some and thought it was a good $40 bottle. The nose was very sweet, but it didn’t drink nearly as sweet. However, the prices that I’ve seen people are paying are not even close to warranted. You can just get a store pick of OWA and it’s just as good. There is nothing that distinguishes CYPB except the label. 

I'm glad I passed on this then.  Two shops I frequent are asking north of two hundred on them (one of them a penny off of 3), and there's just no way.  I like Weller, but I don't LOVE Weller.  

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, mikeydk said:

I'm glad I passed on this then.  Two shops I frequent are asking north of two hundred on them (one of them a penny off of 3), and there's just no way.  I like Weller, but I don't LOVE Weller.  

Get a few OWA store picks and you’ll be just fine. 

27 minutes ago, KyleCBreese said:

Around here (at least at one store in particular) a couple OWA store pics would cost at least that much if not more!  They typically price regular non-pick OWA at $99.

On 8/7/2018 at 12:33 PM, mikeydk said:

You're paying for the cork...:lol:

• I like it 3

On 8/8/2018 at 12:04 PM, KyleCBreese said:

Indeed Kyle, I have a few regulars of the OWA that suit me fine, and I'm really enjoying the Smooth Ambler Big Level so I think I won't miss, missing out on this offering.  

K&L got an allocation of, I think, three bottles (I just happened to be on their web site when it was posted).  It sold out in less than a minute at $49.99.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I started doing my "Joe's Weller Blend" way back in 2013. My recipe has changed some since my initial vatting. However, my current version has basically been the same since around 2016 IIRC.

I took a sample of my 2018 Weller Blend to BT back in April to give to the folks at The Trace. That's when Mark Brown, the CEO of BT, mentioned that my blend sounded very similar to their CYPB. They showed me a bottle of their CYPB, and I even got to hold it in my hand. But alas, taking one home with me wasn't meant to be. To no avail, I pleaded to the management team at BT, "This is probably as close as I'm ever gonna get to having one!"  :huh: Yes that brought out a laugh, but I was half serious 'cause I know the area in which I live. Sure enough, I heard from a couple of fairly reliable sources yesterday that at least two local/semi-local liquor stores received three bottles each. They never saw the light of day. One store manager even lied to me and said they never got any.  <_< Soooooooo, since I was able to purchase a bottle of WA last night, I decided to make yet another batch of Joe's 2018 Weller Blend. My (the) original CYPB. ;) 

There was one time that I made a second batch of my Weller Blend. This will be the fourth batch of my 2018 Blend. :o Unprecedented, and pretty much guaranteed not to happen ever again. Yeah I'm bragging, but I feel I have the right to. What can I say? It's damn good! :P

Biba! Joe

blend.jpeg

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I started doing my "Joe's Weller Blend" way back in 2013. My recipe has changed some since my initial vatting. However, my current version has basically been the same since around 2016 IIRC.

I took a sample of my 2018 Weller Blend to BT back in April to give to the folks at The Trace. That's when Mark Brown, the CEO of BT, mentioned that my blend sounded very similar to their CYPB. They showed me a bottle of their CYPB, and I even got to hold it in my hand. But alas, taking one home with me wasn't meant to be. To no avail, I pleaded to the management team at BT, "This is probably as close as I'm ever gonna get to having one!"  :huh: Yes that brought out a laugh, but I was half serious 'cause I know the area in which I live. Sure enough, I heard from a couple of fairly reliable sources yesterday that at least two local/semi-local liquor stores received three bottles each. They never saw the light of day. One store manager even lied to me and said they never got any.  <_< Soooooooo, since I was able to purchase a bottle of WA last night, I decided to make yet another batch of Joe's 2018 Weller Blend. My (the) original CYPB. ;) 

There was one time that I made a second batch of my Weller Blend. This will be the fourth batch of my 2018 Blend. :o Unprecedented, and pretty much guaranteed not to happen ever again. Yeah I'm bragging, but I feel I have the right to. What can I say? It's damn good! :P

Biba! Joe

blend.jpeg

Joe.......

I'm going to go on record and say that I think your blend is going to be superior to this CYOB every day of the week.

6 hours ago, flahute said:

Joe.......

I'm going to go on record and say that I think your blend is going to be superior to this CYOB every day of the week.

Not really a very risky wager, I'd say.   HA!

3 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Joe -

Have you put the ratios out there for public consumption?

Yes I have. It’s 3X-Weller Antique, 1X-Weller Special Reserve & 1X-Weller 12. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

• 5 weeks later...

Did anything ever come of this release? I never saw it pop up in my state, this thread hasnt had a reply in a month, and even Reddit only has a couple of reviews.

If other areas of the country are like mine, a fairly small number of bottles were sent to liquor stores. Around here, most if not all those bottles never made it to a shelf.  Although  I’ve heard rumors  of a couple of places that will have a bottle or two for their “Black Friday” raffles. 

Joe

It came and went in a flash at a couple of stores here in the SF Bay Area.  That was about a month or two ago.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.