What Beer Are You Drinking Spring/Summer 2018

Kpiz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Dayum, this is seriously good beer.  Love this Lazu Rite IPA Warpigs, 3Floyds, Mikkeller collaboration.  Juicy with great mouth feel.  Great after cutting the lawn.

E20BBE0F-F7B0-4C0B-A5DD-7C00E739F6D1.jpeg

A couple excellent beers from Drie Fonteinen tonight and Cuvée D’Erpigny from Picobrouwerij Alvinne. The Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze stole the show.

11AAFE45-3685-413C-A5DC-D9F005230E9D.jpeg

20 miles on the bike this morning, then a little gardening (pulling shit ass weeds), now relax mode in the shade for the rest of the day. Indy’s Central State Brewing (colab with New Day Craft Mead & Hard Cider) L’apiculteur is the pour of choice. Farmhouse Ale with honey, black limes and elderberry.  Typically not a fan of FAs as they just hit me as too tricked up and unbalanced must of the time.  This one is very nice.  It doesn’t get away from itself, and remains very drinkable...and quenching here in the shade Down South.  

0A711F9F-06A2-4A76-808E-2A67FA2C6681.jpeg

Nothin’ better than a cold beer after cutting the grass on a hot afternoon.  Taxman Brewing Gold Standard Belgian Style Blonde Ale.  Yum.

B2D89B1B-CC6B-4266-8D85-ECA52BF73BE6.jpeg

Lazy Sunday before a busy week coming up.  Back yard and Braves on the radio with a SunKing GFJ IPA.  The can read like a fruit salad coming:  passion fruit, grapefruit, apricot, and something else.  In the end, a decent IPA with more grapefruit notes than most.  It’s OK.

8E93F3E5-95E6-48B1-A3CA-430ED6BC7CC7.jpeg

Firestone nitro velvet Merlin milk stout in a can. It takes a few moments for it to settle into a solid black beer/white foam dichotomy, like Guinness when it's tapped. It's beautiful to watch the cascade. Has a nice creamy quality with some chocolaty bitterness. 

Hair of the Dog Adam, batch 93. This one has been sitting in the bunker for several years. Pretty good but not as good as I remember it being.

851DA108-7580-423E-B8CF-973BB3CAEB13.jpeg

Yay, Friday!  Starting off the weekend after a tortuous week with an 18th St.  Brewery Oh, So Pretty Dry-hopped Rye saison Ale. I’ve had this one on the beer fridge for a while, and I think it’s a bit past it’s prime.  A little flat, and missing much of the pop.  Nice Malt still lingering, though, with a bit of Wine-iness to it.

49638A46-221C-431B-B0F7-18AAA55F070A.jpeg

Even though I am squarely in Bell’s Brewing territory, I drink a lot of Kona Brewing beers. Longboard and Big Wave are two of my favorite Summer beers. I also like to try the New Belgium seasonals. I picked up a six pack of Tartastic as I thought a strawberry lemon ale would either be really good or really not my preference. 

As usual, New Belgium did not disappoint. This is a great Summer ale that is fruit forward without being a Shandy or Radler. It is only 4.2% ABV so you can enjoy several at a session. 

• 2 weeks later...

Damn ferget what I got,but it’s a brew at the ballpark...so it’s good!  :D

A66A4614-14DA-4F6A-B8CC-75C9F4B9AB16.jpeg

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Damn ferget what I got,but it’s a brew at the ballpark...so it’s good!  :D

A66A4614-14DA-4F6A-B8CC-75C9F4B9AB16.jpeg

Bring home the win! Bravos have some work to do...

Edited by dad-proof

15 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Bring home the win! Bravos have some work to do...

Nothin’ I could do to help that debacle!  :D

Bailed in 8th, picked up a Margherita pizza from Antico in the Battery, and listened to rest with Pizza and bourbon at home on the front patio.  You know it’s a bad night when they bringing in their utility infielder to pitch...Though, Culbertson did bring one up there at 94.... ;)

• I like it 1

I’m not sure which makes me feel worse:  That I have actually really been enjoying the 12 pack of PBR that I bought a couple weeks ago, or that I actually really felt self-conscious when I took it up to the store counter...  :D

D9C8BE59-DC45-4DAA-AEAB-B08079CC05D3.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

I’m not sure which makes me feel worse:  That I have actually really been enjoying the 12 pack of PBR that I bought a couple weeks ago, or that I actually really felt self-conscious when I took it up to the store counter...  :D

Don't worry about it Joe! You're not quite as old as I am, but you're still in that age group where PBR was a big thing in our younger days. I still fondly remember the small town festivals in southern WI where the beer tent would have 3 shorty PBR's for a buck. Nostalgia makes it OK in my book! 

Edited by Vosgar

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Nothin’ I could do to help that debacle!  :D

Bailed in 8th, picked up a Margherita pizza from Antico in the Battery, and listened to rest with Pizza and bourbon at home on the front patio.  You know it’s a bad night when they bringing in their utility infielder to pitch...Though, Culbertson did bring one up there at 94.... ;)

Antico makes everything better, especially their Diavola.

17 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Don't worry about it Joe! You're not quite as old as I am, but you're still in that age group where PBR was a big thing in our younger days. I still fondly remember the small town festivals in southern WI where the beer tent would have 3 shorty PBR's for a buck. Nostalgia makes it OK in my book! 

Thanks for the support, Gary.  I wasn’t sure what was happening, and you know I don’t have enough hair for a man bun...  :D

I figure a trip down memory lane is a good thing, now and again.  Yep, PBR was one of those.  Also figuring a Hamm’s, Blatz, and Drewery’s may bring back those heady times when I actually did have enough hair for a man bun...

Enjoying a milf tonight. :P

The Scotch influence seems pretty subdued compared to some of the reviews I read. Has a very pronounced chocolate covered raisin thing going on.

20180819_152412-784x1613.jpg

I picked up some Founder's Solid Gold brewed in Grand Rapids, MI.  I really like it.  It has a good amount of hops, pours a nice head, and has sort of a lemony flavor.

Hey Joe, no worries about PBR - it goes great with bourbon.  Hipsters like it too.

80 degrees isn’t exactly cool, but in Hotlanta at 6PM in August that borders on it.  So, dug into the back of the beer fridge for the lone remaining Founder’s porter from several months ago.  I don’t like it as much as my “Gold Standard” Porter,  Deschutes Black Butte Porter, but it still is pretty good.  

618DD0F8-7E43-4225-A10A-B31996D96775.jpeg

• I like it 2

Settling in for an afternoon of Braves on the radio with a Sweetwater Mosaic Single Hop Hazy IPA.  From their Catch and Release seasonal release program, this is exceptional.  Wonderfully conttolled juicy citrus, and extremely thirst quenching and drinkable at a manageable 6.2%.  I’ll have to be careful not to rip through too many this afternoon. Course, if the Braves keep up with their anemic hitting of late, I’ll be OK as I’ll be heading over to the bourbon shelf...?

CA61CD5B-C186-4C1F-B79C-A4A4104E5446.jpeg

On 8/22/2018 at 5:43 PM, smokinjoe said:

80 degrees isn’t exactly cool, but in Hotlanta at 6PM in August that borders on it.  So, dug into the back of the beer fridge for the lone remaining Founder’s porter from several months ago.  I don’t like it as much as my “Gold Standard” Porter,  Deschutes Black Butte Porter, but it still is pretty good.  

618DD0F8-7E43-4225-A10A-B31996D96775.jpeg

Actually I tend to think of Founders as quintessential Porter. I love BBP as well but it's a little.."more".

I'm enjoying a 2018 KBS with dinner tonight. We had St. Patrick's in August...corned beef, potatoes, and cabbage...so a stout seemed a good choice.

On 8/26/2018 at 7:45 PM, Clueby said:

Actually I tend to think of Founders as quintessential Porter. I love BBP as well but it's a little.."more".

I'm enjoying a 2018 KBS with dinner tonight. We had St. Patrick's in August...corned beef, potatoes, and cabbage...so a stout seemed a good choice.

Having the Irish leftovers tonight and broke out a 2017 KBS. The 2018 last night was better. The 2017 has a bit of a bitter note that is distracting me tonight.

Be on the lookout for Founders Better Half.  It's the latest release from their Barrel Aged Series.  Quite possibly the best of the bunch and that includes KBS and CBS.

Better Half is their Curmudgeon Old Ale aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels.  It's damn fine and I can't recommend it enough.  Be warned though, it is very sweet and clocks in at 12.7%.

• I like it 2

On 8/29/2018 at 3:58 PM, DPPSmoker said:

Be on the lookout for Founders Better Half.  It's the latest release from their Barrel Aged Series.  Quite possibly the best of the bunch and that includes KBS and CBS.

Better Half is their Curmudgeon Old Ale aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels.  It's damn fine and I can't recommend it enough.  Be warned though, it is very sweet and clocks in at 12.7%.

Very excited for this. I have been into craft beer for five years, and this has been at the top of my want list nearly the whole time. Curmudgeon is one of my favorites, so this sound right up my alley. I was able to get two bottles today (store limit). Not sure when I will get the opportunity to crack one open, hopefully soon.

• I like it 1

On 8/29/2018 at 4:58 PM, DPPSmoker said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll definitely hope to try some of this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.