What Dram are you enjoying? Spring 2018

Kpiz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A couple friends and I got together last night to try a couple new bottles of Scotch, but it turned into a bit of a marathon tasting session.

We started with the Chita, an NAS grain whisky that bears the name of Suntory's grain whisky distillery. This one started out pleasant and floral but finished with some solvent or chemical type notes. Ok but not something I'd reach for very often.

From the Chita we stuck with grain whisky and tasted two different casks of Cambus that K&L brought in recently. The first was a 29yo that tasted like classic but decent 20+yo grain whisky (I'm far from a grain whisky expert) with marzipan and vanilla notes. Then we tried the Cambus 25yo - two of us had already tried this one so we knew what to expect, but it's an entirely different animal. It is bright, fruity, and just downright delicious. I have a backup bottle of the 25yo but I wish I had more.

Then we tried two whiskies from the Cadenhead's Cask Ends series that I brought back from London. These are 200ml bottles that represent the remainder of a cask after bottling 700ml bottles. They make pretty good gifts and so I had given one to each of the friends who happened to be drinking with me last night, and they both happened to bring them to share. First we tried the 20yo Aultmore and then the 25yo Glenburgie. I can't recall any tasting notes but they were both excellent. Between the two I slightly prefer the Glenburgie.

At this point we took a short break to try some calvados before opening a K&L exclusive 22yo Tobermory. I think this is the first Tobermory I've tried, definitely the first bottle I've owned, and it was not as idiosyncratic as I was expecting. It had a more herbal character than most malts but those notes were fairly subdued and balanced by the sweet, malty, fruity, and light peat notes. The finish is not oaky but tannic and mouth-drying, which works well here. I was suspicious that none of K&L's notes mentioned any sort of herbal or vegetal notes, thinking they purposely avoided it to keep from scaring people away, but after trying it I don't think their notes are too far off. It's worth noting, however, that the tasting notes on the bottle do mention eucalyptus on both the nose and palate and I think these notes are more true to the whisky.

Then we opened another K&L exclusive bottle, this one really being quite the opposite of the Tobermory. It's a 9yo Aultmore aged in a first-fill oloroso sherry butt. I bought this one because it's pretty cheap ($50) and all the notes made it sound not very sweet, with more savory and coffee flavors. My palate may have been shot by this point so I'll have to revisit it, but I have to agree that it is different than most young sherry bombs with distinct coffee notes. It had some dark-fruited sweet notes as well, but I couldn't pinpoint what it was - didn't seem like the usual raisin sweetness that I get from most young sherry monsters. I couldn't tease out a lot of different flavors but I really liked the coffee and mysterious dried fruit note so this one gets a thumbs-up.

We ran out of time and didn't get to taste several of the bottles, so we'll just have to do it again sometime. Also, the Tobermory and the young Aultmore are still available at K&L so if anyone has been debating whether to buy either bottle, let me know and I'll re-taste them this weekend on a fresh palate and provide a better assessment.

IMG_1494.jpg

2 hours ago, Kpiz said:

A couple friends and I got together last night to try a couple new bottles of Scotch, but it turned into a bit of a marathon tasting session.

We started with the Chita, an NAS grain whisky that bears the name of Suntory's grain whisky distillery. This one started out pleasant and floral but finished with some solvent or chemical type notes. Ok but not something I'd reach for very often.

From the Chita we stuck with grain whisky and tasted two different casks of Cambus that K&L brought in recently. The first was a 29yo that tasted like classic but decent 20+yo grain whisky (I'm far from a grain whisky expert) with marzipan and vanilla notes. Then we tried the Cambus 25yo - two of us had already tried this one so we knew what to expect, but it's an entirely different animal. It is bright, fruity, and just downright delicious. I have a backup bottle of the 25yo but I wish I had more.

Then we tried two whiskies from the Cadenhead's Cask Ends series that I brought back from London. These are 200ml bottles that represent the remainder of a cask after bottling 700ml bottles. They make pretty good gifts and so I had given one to each of the friends who happened to be drinking with me last night, and they both happened to bring them to share. First we tried the 20yo Aultmore and then the 25yo Glenburgie. I can't recall any tasting notes but they were both excellent. Between the two I slightly prefer the Glenburgie.

At this point we took a short break to try some calvados before opening a K&L exclusive 22yo Tobermory. I think this is the first Tobermory I've tried, definitely the first bottle I've owned, and it was not as idiosyncratic as I was expecting. It had a more herbal character than most malts but those notes were fairly subdued and balanced by the sweet, malty, fruity, and light peat notes. The finish is not oaky but tannic and mouth-drying, which works well here. I was suspicious that none of K&L's notes mentioned any sort of herbal or vegetal notes, thinking they purposely avoided it to keep from scaring people away, but after trying it I don't think their notes are too far off. It's worth noting, however, that the tasting notes on the bottle do mention eucalyptus on both the nose and palate and I think these notes are more true to the whisky.

Then we opened another K&L exclusive bottle, this one really being quite the opposite of the Tobermory. It's a 9yo Aultmore aged in a first-fill oloroso sherry butt. I bought this one because it's pretty cheap ($50) and all the notes made it sound not very sweet, with more savory and coffee flavors. My palate may have been shot by this point so I'll have to revisit it, but I have to agree that it is different than most young sherry bombs with distinct coffee notes. It had some dark-fruited sweet notes as well, but I couldn't pinpoint what it was - didn't seem like the usual raisin sweetness that I get from most young sherry monsters. I couldn't tease out a lot of different flavors but I really liked the coffee and mysterious dried fruit note so this one gets a thumbs-up.

We ran out of time and didn't get to taste several of the bottles, so we'll just have to do it again sometime. Also, the Tobermory and the young Aultmore are still available at K&L so if anyone has been debating whether to buy either bottle, let me know and I'll re-taste them this weekend on a fresh palate and provide a better assessment.

IMG_1494.jpg

That sounds like a lot of fun, I really need to get a small group together!

Decided to go with dusty blends tonight I left behind a second bottle of this John Begg Blue Cap, I will be driving the 9 miles to retrieve it tomorrow for $14, there is a bit of that sulfuric note you get from Craigellachie which I love, I would never have guessed it at 40% either. I think I may have chosen the wrong leadoff hitter, the others have a lot to live up to

y4mVpDySqHDFmhoLS1S86_PgLPsYMlL_13iJEa8m

• I like it 1

Ardbeg is not getting their Grooves back-- at least this specific bottle. I'm quite liking this one.

IMG_8917.thumb.jpg.c888c9d476753029f2461899514a1338.jpg

• I like it 2

Decided to go with dusty blends tonight I left behind a second bottle of this John Begg Blue Cap, I will be driving the 9 miles to retrieve it tomorrow for $14, there is a bit of that sulfuric note you get from Craigellachie which I love, I would never have guessed it at 40% either. I think I may have chosen the wrong leadoff hitter, the others have a lot to live up to
y4mVpDySqHDFmhoLS1S86_PgLPsYMlL_13iJEa8mWqfjGqpjv79tfsPfpoZ5Sek4lfbUluV-kpmuC4KQaYCZH1w9sIByM2Obcf07tZFOl4l0lbPv0QaVr53YQsYxkWRV2kOtD1R41FFx1HEHGwgosPyKkAHxMugx1alem8Jb9kNEBqiQIW55ySeveXjOzVWE-awSMYER3cmGEpHjuzjCVG1VQ?width=3024&height=4032&cropmode=none

That old Black Bottle looks inviting. I've never had the old green glass bottle version of it, but have read that it used to be really good compared to the mediocre stuff they are putting in the black glass bottles these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

That old Black Bottle looks inviting. I've never had the old green glass bottle version of it, but have read that it used to be really good compared to the mediocre stuff they are putting in the black glass bottles these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My memory is that the age stated versions were pretty superior to this one which is probably from the tail end before the switch. My tastes have changed over the years but my recollection of it from the past is that it was more peated, but my taste for peat was certainly much less then than it is now. That being said it was probably the second most enjoyable of the lot after the John Begg.

• I like it 1

One from my Chicago trip last week. Between this and the Cadenhead 11yo, I'm trying to get a good handle on this distillery before potentially springing for one of the Special Releases. So far, so good.

IMG_8919.thumb.jpg.b76fe59d14546803babc59841f4d7825.jpg

A dusty Inchmurrin 10 from 2004 appeared on the shelf at one of my locals. The cork promptly disintegrated, but the pour was far more complex than anticipated.

IMG_8914.thumb.JPG.3e74f3c213e0171b783450c2e2cfbba9.JPG

• I like it 1

On 3/30/2018 at 7:33 PM, Marekv8 said:

Ardbeg is not getting their Grooves back-- at least this specific bottle. I'm quite liking this one.

IMG_8917.thumb.jpg.c888c9d476753029f2461899514a1338.jpg

Hoping to get a chance to try this one eventually.  That color seems unique as well..for an Ardbeg.

Edited by Clueby

I’m back from a long weekend in Vegas with the mrs and I’m enjoying some me time on the patio in the pleasant GA evening. AF Don Carlos #3 and Glenlivet Nadurra Oloroso are helping me get settled back at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ardbeg 10 is tasting quite fantastic after a less than enjoyable pour of OF 1920, no picture I'm sure you have all seen one before, maybe perched on top of my turntable at that.

Watching the Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling on HBOGo and decided this was appropriate, as a bonus its pretty tasty 

y4mMGLFn0vyP4yrfp9ve3YC0NL6bCNpXBdaDf8He

• I like it 1

Trying to support Henry Preiss/Preiss Imports as he picks back up after the Pacific Edge deal. Working my way through the more obscure Diageo distilleries and this Blair Athol is a home run. Drinks well under the 55.8% ABV.

IMG_8952.thumb.jpg.3f8b2f61e3e3d777d2650bad5e2627df.jpg

• I like it 1

As the sun went down, the juice got darker as well. The Octomore 7.4 has really benefitted from being open for quite some time.

IMG_8956.thumb.jpg.7ae75d295025639c9c865ddc425a3368.jpg

IMG_8958.thumb.jpg.68b959380334aea0296b1bcb6c9e3c38.jpg

• I like it 1

Bourbon cask vs. Sherry-- otherwise the age and proof are as close as I could get. The distillery character really carries through both (which is a good testament)-- not sure if I have a preference. The Sherry matured version certainly has more overt "flavor," but the raw character of the Bourbon version is cool as well.

IMG_8970.thumb.JPG.048be28467253a3ba2d8062989a742db.JPG

IMG_8969.thumb.JPG.36d38bf16949777624df2a5d87aecbc2.JPG

• I like it 1

This is a cracking sherried dram. Quite astringent rather than sweet. Very complex. The nose is like bread and butter pudding (is that a thing outside the UK?). 

mstsc.png

• I like it 1

This is a cracking sherried dram. Quite astringent rather than sweet. Very complex. The nose is like bread and butter pudding (is that a thing outside the UK?). 
mstsc.thumb.png.d29e86a6912454e2f7f091ee74ef5055.png

Sounds like an odd duck, and one that I’d like. I’d never heard of bread and butter pudding but I looked up a recipe and it sounds tasty.

I didn’t realize until recently (after going to the UK and watching the British Baking Show) that there are quite a few British desserts and baked goods that are very uncommon here in the US, and plenty others still that we have here but go by a different name.

17 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Sounds like an odd duck, and one that I’d like. I’d never heard of bread and butter pudding but I looked up a recipe and it sounds tasty.

I didn’t realize until recently (after going to the UK and watching the British Baking Show) that there are quite a few British desserts and baked goods that are very uncommon here in the US, and plenty others still that we have here but go by a different name.

I think a lot of the traditional puddings from the UK (and Europe) are based on using the leftovers from certain things as a result of rationing during the war. Bread & Butter pudding being one of those... leftover bread, leftover button, leftover fruit peel etc. Lovely stuff. 

Can't say I've had too many desserts in whilst stateside, mainly because the portions were so big I never had room! haha

I think a lot of the traditional puddings from the UK (and Europe) are based on using the leftovers from certain things as a result of rationing during the war. Bread & Butter pudding being one of those... leftover bread, leftover button, leftover fruit peel etc. Lovely stuff. 

Can't say I've had too many desserts in whilst stateside, mainly because the portions were so big I never had room! haha

I’ve never really thought about the origin of British puddings but that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the info.

Next time you’re here you should stay longer. It takes a couple weeks for your stomach to really stretch out [emoji6]

7 hours ago, Kpiz said:

I’ve never really thought about the origin of British puddings but that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the info.

Next time you’re here you should stay longer. It takes a couple weeks for your stomach to really stretch out emoji6.png

haha duly noted! 

Cheers :) 

Starting the evening off with my new buddy Ben… this is one hell of a robust and spicy dram.

IMG_8995.thumb.jpg.5a555ebede7c79061bdea53adda83feb.jpg

Fifteen years, non-chill filtered, 100 proof and extremely tasty-- at 64 bucks this is a steal in my book. The bottle just arrived in town a few hours ago.

IMG_8997.thumb.jpg.a0502c9a62ab800bc6bb4207336f5d83.jpg

• I like it 1

Cool bottle and tasty juice-- but the cork let go upon opening. Nice distillery character shining through at only 8 years.

IMG_8998.thumb.jpg.900ab34174f0506838dcd37f7d1e498c.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.