What Dram are you enjoying? Spring 2018

Kpiz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

So you cleared the shelves around here! 

Lol--my post was actually a bit misleading--I did not do this recently, but about a year or two ago.  Anyway, I have rarely seen the 105 anywhere in Northern NJ other than Shoppers Vineyard for whatever reason.  I think they still have some.

12 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Lol--my post was actually a bit misleading--I did not do this recently, but about a year or two ago.  Anyway, I have rarely seen the 105 anywhere in Northern NJ other than Shoppers Vineyard for whatever reason.  I think they still have some.

Funny I stopped there to pick up a bottle a few weeks back and they were all gone, I was of course just joking anyway. Mason's in Rutherford still had some when they closed up to move to a new location but they have yet to re-open, hoping I can grab one there when they do. Have been keeping my eyes open for it nonetheless.

Well decided to crack the newish OB Mortlach, it's not bad I prefer this Signatory but not by as much of a margin as I would have expected. It certainly wins the packaging contest though.

y4mdjTsDX8HTA3HJBUupvtHppqxI6uySyfq1-Moi

• I like it 1

This is the one that got me started on my Scotch adventures. Perfect for a rainy evening. 

IMG_20180524_212959.thumb.jpg.a6891aeffedabc5e52b43600fc42b46c.jpg

It's a bummer when the TSA opens bottles from the bottom… and this was the one I was really looking forward to trying.

IMG_9383.thumb.jpg.47b14b815af359ec4e5ff7c35547317c.jpg

IMG_9388.thumb.jpg.f3adbb7602b494393204a092e79c612f.jpg

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

It's a bummer when the TSA opens bottles from the bottom… and this was the one I was really looking forward to trying.

Oh no, Clynelish down! Sorry to see that. What a bummer.

Figured I'd start off quietly with a Lowland malt. A little too quiet, maybe.

IMG_9393.thumb.jpg.71da8e3a762375a7da462fa7d002dd68.jpg

Second finished whisky in a row… more cask than previous content influence in this one.

IMG_9394.thumb.jpg.93c777c061e01e2231353c1a2a8e61cb.jpg

4 minutes ago, reeko said:

I finished this poor bottle off. Just another excuse to get more! Lol.

TGIF!!IMG_20180525_171555.jpeg

Solid whiskey right there.

Solid whiskey right there.
I agree, it's a great whiskey! Its unique to other whiskeys I've tried. I see the other whiskeys posted in this thread and I look forward to trying them. Hopefully my wallet can keep up with the demand :)

The dusty shop in Chicago had a few of the Kilkerran WIP bottlings that I'm missing buried back on the shelves-- so a return trip is a must.

IMG_9396.thumb.jpg.3d596ed74bdab8c17751a5403c55b17a.jpg

10 minutes ago, reeko said:

I agree, it's a great whiskey! Its unique to other whiskeys I've tried. I see the other whiskeys posted in this thread and I look forward to trying them. Hopefully my wallet can keep up with the demand :)

Ha!  Can any wallet keep up? :D

The Redbreast offerings give so much depth and power compared to many of the others in that segment.  My favorite (particularly the Cask Strength) Irish.

13 minutes ago, reeko said:

Hopefully my wallet can keep up with the demand :)

LOL, that's always a concern. Next thing you know, you'll pony up a few more $$ and get the RB 12yr Cask Strength and/or the 15yr (my favorite of the bunch). If you step up to the 21yr, you'll know you're either out of control or the wallet is no longer a concern!

I've had the pleasure of trying the 12 year cask strength, and it's so good! It blows the regular 12 year out of the water. There's a YouTube reviewer called the liquor hound that has great reviews of all kinds of liquor. he ranks the 21 year old as number one and 12 year cask strength as number two, then 15 and 12. I haven't been able to find the 21 and 15 yet, but I've put in a request with me liquor store to get some.

I wish I would have gotten into whiskey when I was younger and single, when I didn't need to worry about expenses and kids. But for now I can get some more expensive stuff every few weeks instead. Of course unless it's for a special occasion, like world whiskey day :)

20 minutes ago, reeko said:

I've had the pleasure of trying the 12 year cask strength, and it's so good! It blows the regular 12 year out of the water. There's a YouTube reviewer called the liquor hound that has great reviews of all kinds of liquor. he ranks the 21 year old as number one and 12 year cask strength as number two, then 15 and 12. I haven't been able to find the 21 and 15 yet, but I've put in a request with me liquor store to get some.

I wish I would have gotten into whiskey when I was younger and single, when I didn't need to worry about expenses and kids. But for now I can get some more expensive stuff every few weeks instead. Of course unless it's for a special occasion, like world whiskey day :)

Ha!  Yep, like Vosgar points out, the 15 and 21 increase everything...including $ :D  The extra age on those take it to other levels of complexity.  But, the power of the CS still remains my fave.  The whole line is great.  

• I like it 1

Someday, hopefully, I'll quit being a cheap bastard and splurge for a RB21. Just can't get myself to drop $200+ for a bottle so for now I'll have to take other people's word for how wonderful it is.  Maybe as a retirement gift to myself, whenever that may be...

• I like it 1

I hope Diageo has another badass blend in this year's Special Releases (and one that's actually available in the US).

IMG_9403.thumb.jpg.0c53cdf092a2e7f1162ee7755d8b2477.jpg

Tamdhu Batch Strength, Batch 2.

Second pour and I don't like this bottle, yet. It burns like a 150 proofer, and has an annoying artificial vanilla taste. I also wouldn't call this a sherry bomb, that was false advertisement. But I have a gut feeling this is going to get better in time. The complexity is there if you analyze the finish hard enough.

This sucker has the viscosity of Castrol 20W-50 motor oil-- fabulous. Big memories associated with tracking and securing this bottle in NYC quite some time ago. I was feeling particularly mortal today, this changes everything.

IMG_9410.thumb.JPG.182242f513bd4cd84e9190855f3c97c7.JPG

IMG_9439.thumb.JPG.5e9bfcf942bdf592842984402e472a4a.JPG

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.