What Dram are you enjoying? Spring 2018

Kpiz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Fifteen years, non-chill filtered, 100 proof and extremely tasty-- at 64 bucks this is a steal in my book. The bottle just arrived in town a few hours ago.

IMG_8997.thumb.jpg.a0502c9a62ab800bc6bb4207336f5d83.jpg

Been looking forward to this one myself.

20 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Cool bottle and tasty juice-- but the cork let go upon opening. Nice distillery character shining through at only 8 years.

IMG_8998.thumb.jpg.900ab34174f0506838dcd37f7d1e498c.jpg

A new release or something that has been around awhile? 

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

A new release or something that has been around awhile? 

It was one of Douglas Laing's lines from a few years back, since discontinued. The bottle was such a shelf hog that I had to store it under the bar and forgot about it until stumbling upon it yesterday. Really a nice presentation other than the goofy copywriting.

47 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

It was one of Douglas Laing's lines from a few years back, since discontinued. The bottle was such a shelf hog that I had to store it under the bar and forgot about it until stumbling upon it yesterday. Really a nice presentation other than the goofy copywriting.

The copy writing may be a bit goofy, but I really like the whole package.

As for me, decided for another pour from a Signatory 26yr Balmenach selected by Binny's. Good whisky!

A rare occasion where the provided tasting notes are spot on-- especially in regards to the "cigar boxes." I bought it because of the color-- this is a down and dirty dram, nothing sweet about it. There's a distinct connection here with the 25yo Cutty Sark Tam O'Shanter blend.

IMG_9006.thumb.JPG.f6ec5d123fc0beee9cc26dd0ad93cb13.JPG

IMG_9007.thumb.jpg.7919218375f8c0d4e610146a6dd13805.jpg

21 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

As for me, decided for another pour from a Signatory 26yr Balmenach selected by Binny's. Good whisky!

That sounds quite enjoyable, indeed. Funny-- I literally just poured a cracking dram of a 12yo Balmenach, it's not a distillery you run across very often. Cheers!

IMG_9004.thumb.JPG.3d1fc9ac52a318803247c8327e55f8f2.JPG

12 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

A rare occasion where the provided tasting notes are spot on-- especially in regards to the "cigar boxes." I bought it because of the color-- this is a down and dirty dram, nothing sweet about it. There's a distinct connection here with the 25yo Cutty Sark Tam O'Shanter blend.

Sounds awesome. Yet to venture into Highland Park territory that much.

That sounds fantastic. I wish I had a bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/14/2018 at 8:35 PM, Marekv8 said:

Rather looks and sounds a lot like a barrel that had been on the Cadenhead warehouse tour. I bought a couple of them at the time.

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Rather looks and sounds a lot like a barrel that had been on the Cadenhead warehouse tour. I bought a couple of them at the time.

I might have to break down and grab another bottle-- it's really some unusual juice. And given what official bottlings of older Highland Park are going for-- quite the value as well. I bet the Cadenhead tour was a real experience.

Went to a "Spirit School" at a local tobacco shop and had pours of a couple outstanding Scotch's, a 29yr old Glenturret and a 24yr Glenlossie. The Glenturret was amazing but too expensive for me, however I ended up buying the Glenlossie. The nose and taste wasn't quite as good, but the finish was utterly amazing. Goes on forever, perhaps longer :) 

3 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Went to a "Spirit School" at a local tobacco shop and had pours of a couple outstanding Scotch's, a 29yr old Glenturret and a 24yr Glenlossie. The Glenturret was amazing but too expensive for me, however I ended up buying the Glenlossie. The nose and taste wasn't quite as good, but the finish was utterly amazing. Goes on forever, perhaps longer :) 

Is that the Signatory Un-Chillfiltered bottling of Glenlossie 24yo? If so, it was at the bar at the Ace Hotel Chicago last month and one of the highlights of my WhiskyFest trip.

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Is that the Signatory Un-Chillfiltered bottling of Glenlossie 24yo? If so, it was at the bar at the Ace Hotel Chicago last month and one of the highlights of my WhiskyFest trip.

Yes it is. My bottle will be in later this week and I'll try to remember to post a picture.

3 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Yes it is. My bottle will be in later this week and I'll try to remember to post a picture.

Good for you, I've been seeking out a bottle since. Enjoy!

Balvenie Doublewood 17 at the Gerald Ford airport-- one hell of a single pour. I had a great Uber driver who stopped at multiple LS on the way to the airport-- but came up empty handed (a first). Michigan must be a control state of some sort. 

IMG_9027.thumb.JPG.d81abdbde029ee28ff4aaa0f6c3a0614.JPG

• I like it 1

On 4/19/2018 at 4:23 PM, Marekv8 said:

Balvenie Doublewood 17 at the Gerald Ford airport-- one hell of a single pour. I had a great Uber driver who stopped at multiple LS on the way to the airport-- but came up empty handed (a first). Michigan must be a control state of some sort. 

IMG_9027.thumb.JPG.d81abdbde029ee28ff4aaa0f6c3a0614.JPG

Haha, gotta love those airport pours. Restaurants are invariably sub par and expensive, but you can always get back at them with an order of Scotch. Brings back memories of my "shortest" flight to Tokyo.

19 minutes ago, Kane said:

Haha, gotta love those airport pours. Restaurants are invariably sub par and expensive, but you can always get back at them with an order of Scotch. Brings back memories of my "shortest" flight to Tokyo.

The server had to bring the bottle out to me to verify that it was indeed what I was attempting to order. Apparently I was the first to do so (this was a Founders "brew pub") and received a generous free-handed pour for my efforts. She did receive a nice tip for hers.

After last weekend's 25yo Ben Nevis-- I'm trying a younger expression to get a handle on the distillery characteristic. At 60.6% ABV, this is a fun one and quite the value.

IMG_9030.thumb.jpg.743fe49cee94a6671ae4a774e89993b5.jpg

Having a few healthy pours of Aberlour A'bunadh batch #46 neat tonight. I'm about halfway through this bottle now and it is just incredible. Lots of rich dark fruit and the finish goes on forever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 4/18/2018 at 1:08 AM, Marekv8 said:

I lied to you, it's 23yr not 24.

Glenlossie.jpg

16 hours ago, Vosgar said:

I lied to you, it's 23yr not 24.

Glenlossie.jpg

Yes, that's different from the bottle at the Ace-- but I'm sure it's a killer. Please enjoy. 

20 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Having a few healthy pours of Aberlour A'bunadh batch #46 neat tonight. I'm about halfway through this bottle now and it is just incredible. Lots of rich dark fruit and the finish goes on forever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Batch #46 was the only bottle I've personally owned, and I loved every sip. But from what I've read and heard here & there, people make it sound like it was one of the worst batches ever. Any thoughts? Anybody had a chance to SBS with different batches?

Batch #46 was the only bottle I've personally owned, and I loved every sip. But from what I've read and heard here & there, people make it sound like it was one of the worst batches ever. Any thoughts? Anybody had a chance to SBS with different batches?

I’ve got another bottle open, but I don’t remember the batch number for certain. It’s buried in my bunker or I’d go look, but I think it’s batch #54. I haven’t done a SBS, but from what I remember, I think I like batch #46 better, but they’re both good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.