Rye Talk (2018) Purchases-Enjoyment

bourbon4all
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I grabbed it today too, I like it quite a bit, but I also quite like the regular KC Rye, it tastes like a more oak driven amplified version of that which is pretty much what I was hoping for. I think it is really a good buy for the price (paid $58.99) and a few drops of water really brought forward some more rye notes, it does drink a bit hotter than I expected for the proof neat. Also a major improvement over last nights pours!
y4moLYmMS43i69RXTrwgw-2ot1SfK2N7dpEkUb9aUFJjRUcYO5wIXbl079d8FuwD8S5uzbOFmi7pycINk34QZiGjLD5xm4iTj8RKap8wyTuUR4WKX2zRrxaxcr6LKXK_Cz84wjpOEuEuXZuEtn-DPbVz7gU6V_v6XmtVXcurzGuBFRXN1mHM7fRjrt5X1rCg4K961r1Yl_Km8XScSCuluTT2A?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none
That looks good! What's the age statement for it? I've only seen the regular rye here.

I'm enjoying some Canadian rye whiskey tonight for mothers day. IMG_20180512_210927.jpeg

5 minutes ago, reeko said:

That looks good! What's the age statement for it? I've only seen the regular rye here.

I'm enjoying some Canadian rye whiskey tonight for mothers day. IMG_20180512_210927.jpeg

No traditional age statement just the barreled in 2009

I raided my bunker by pulling out a bottle of Sazerac (stashed several years ago).  I recently saw a bunch at a local store @ low $30s.  Anyway, this is a nice easy drinker for hot humid weather.

Not a purchase, but a pass.  A drug store has Woodford Rye.  It looks just like the regular Woodford bottle, except for small green label and "rye".

I hear some folks lament how "facebook is a complete waste of time", but glad I saw the post about a local store offering the KC Cask Strength rye for a steal (and more importantly, glad I got there before they ran out!)  Based on reports here, I can't wait to try it (but having picked it up on my lunch break - I'll have to wait a little bit) 

IMG_20180517_113743.thumb.jpg.a1d82f96bdfb572360841cb0a92f1f40.jpg

• I like it 2

On 5/17/2018 at 12:22 PM, GaryT said:

I hear some folks lament how "facebook is a complete waste of time", but glad I saw the post about a local store offering the KC Cask Strength rye for a steal (and more importantly, glad I got there before they ran out!)  Based on reports here, I can't wait to try it (but having picked it up on my lunch break - I'll have to wait a little bit) 

I'm really looking forward to this one.  Last I checked I haven't seen it even listed on VA ABC yet.

On 5/19/2018 at 2:20 PM, JoeTerp said:

I'm really looking forward to this one.  Last I checked I haven't seen it even listed on VA ABC yet.

Quite true, but the Pikesville Rye is back in stock (although who knows for how long} and they have added both the Peerless Rye and the Whistlepig Barrel Strength Rye. The Peerless is, in my worthless opinion, too expensive but quite good, and the Whistlepig Barrel Strength is the only WP I've ever enjoyed, and I'm doing that mightily.

Enjoying some Ritt bib. Curious about Dads Hat, they have GA distro now and it will be interesting to see when/if any local stores select a barrel, even more interesting to see what it  tastes like.

On 5/24/2018 at 7:36 AM, Ace1943 said:

Quite true, but the Pikesville Rye is back in stock (although who knows for how long} and they have added both the Peerless Rye and the Whistlepig Barrel Strength Rye. The Peerless is, in my worthless opinion, too expensive but quite good, and the Whistlepig Barrel Strength is the only WP I've ever enjoyed, and I'm doing that mightily.

I've picked up the Whistlepig but have yet to try it.  

And now the KC Cask Strength is on the website (but not in stores yet).

My LS owner let me have this for $50.00 because he wanted to try it. Didn't care much for it, but will give it another run tonight in a proper glass (vs. the plastic cup earlier). Nice job on the pack. 

IMG_9389.thumb.JPG.409f8ac4f9445f73a7d5e04763059307.JPG

• I like it 1

37 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

My LS owner let me have this for $50.00 because he wanted to try it. Didn't care much for it, but will give it another run tonight in a proper glass (vs. the plastic cup earlier). Nice job on the pack. 

IMG_9389.thumb.JPG.409f8ac4f9445f73a7d5e04763059307.JPG

I've only had three evenings with the Peerless, but if it was offered at $50 instead of $129 I would consider bunkering it. I found it, for me, in the same bracket as the WP Barrel Strength. Both are quite intense, and I like them both quite a bit.

Picked this one up for the holiday weekend, solid bottle. I am enjoying the first couple pours. 

9D4F174C-11B9-4938-B924-95588DC6607D.jpeg

• I like it 1

Weird. Good weird.

IMG_20180526_215002.thumb.jpg.7129002da29af1f830413a0839a76ae4.jpg

I would agree with this. My brother and I cracked on open over this long weekend. Not a daily drinker but a change of pace for sure.

Having a nice pour of KC barrel select rye, 115 proof. From Total Wine, very nice for $40 

KC CS RYE, from a local that has the best local pricing I have seen (thanks to a heads up from another SB'r). Looking forward to this one. I was a bit shy about the individual barrel picks given the youth, the Beam yeast, and less than glowing comments about the samples that were sent out but these are older and reports have been all positive so I am looking forward to this one.

On 5/29/2018 at 2:46 PM, kcgumbohead said:

KC CS RYE, from a local that has the best local pricing I have seen (thanks to a heads up from another SB'r). Looking forward to this one. I was a bit shy about the individual barrel picks given the youth, the Beam yeast, and less than glowing comments about the samples that were sent out but these are older and reports have been all positive so I am looking forward to this one.

I see you're in Buford (I live in Winder) and was looking to pick up a bottle of this. Who has the best pricing? I saw it today in Duluth for $73 and passed but am having second thoughts...

16 hours ago, ondarocks said:

I see you're in Buford (I live in Winder) and was looking to pick up a bottle of this. Who has the best pricing? I saw it today in Duluth for $73 and passed but am having second thoughts...

PM sent, cheers!!

Appreciate it. Just found a place near work that is getting an allotment in tomorrow for $65. I'll gladly pay the extra $7 as Marietta may as well be on the other side of the world with ATL's traffic. Lol.

Opened up a Rebel Yell Small Batch Rye I picked up at Lux-Row Distillery in April.  I tried someone else's that weekend, and was underwhelmed.  Don't get me wrong - it isn't a great rye - for $25 I'd get Bulleit or Ritt BIB over this in the future.  But nothing off-putting about it; more like a young bourbon than rye to me; sweet and gentle, but quite drinkable - and hitting just right on a wet Friday night.

Just picked this up.  I really enjoyed the single barrel store select.  

C0E72FF4-2A1E-40BC-AB94-66852CC8B422.jpeg

I also picked up a KCCS today.  Looking forward to a side by side with standard KC, then Pikesville.

Having a very good WT RR761EAC57-2EFB-4ACC-A3AD-7065393D63D2.thumb.jpeg.af28626319e16a86a7dc4d82737e6ad1.jpeg Rye tonight. This could damn near take the place of 101 Rye. 

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.