Rye Talk (2018) Purchases-Enjoyment

bourbon4all
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Knob Creek Barrel Strength Rye hit my ABC store today, and I plan to give it a whirl tonight (at 119 proof hoping it doesn't do the same to me). The Pikesville 110 continues to be a mainstay here and in the bunker. The Whistlepig Barrel Strength is now one of my favorites while the Peerless, because of its age and price, is falling back out of the rotation. The Whistlepig BS is not just better but far less expensive. The Peerless is aged 24 months and the James E. Pepper Barrel Proof at 114.6 is aged over that. The clincher is that I was able to bunker the JEPBP at $20 per bottle, and the Peerless is $130. The Peerless may be more interesting than the JEPBP. I'm a big fan of "more interesting", but not at $110 more per bottle.

I agree that this is priced a bit high ($55 for NAS barrel proof), but it's darn good and dangerously easy to drink.  The typical mgp pepper and dill on the front end, followed by a dash of creamy caramel and then a nice long finish that lingers. Proofed perfectly for a full, rich flavor that delights.

Makes one hell of a manhattan too!

Fans of SAOS rye, who've lost their way, here is your replacement!

This bottle will be short lived...

IMAG3420.jpg

• I like it 1

My introduction to the Knob Creek Barrel Strength Rye went well last night, and it gets another shot tonight. At $73 it blows the door off the Peerless and gives the Whistlepig Barrel Strength a run for its money as well. It is already a candidate for bunkering because these new ABC offerings have a way of disappearing from the shelves. It was pretty intense and still quite flavorful.

• I like it 1

I've been drinking Rittenhouse 100 and Sazarac "6yr" tonight. I can't decide which I like better, but the good news is I love them both. ????

Made a long detour up to Hattiesburg on my way home from the airport to collect LRP's 5yo PS Willett Rye… I'm suspecting it's a good one.

IMG_9590.thumb.JPG.09b0582224628d211092e92e3a067a38.JPG

Edited by Marekv8
  • I like it 4

It's been a few years since I've had a bottle of CEHT rye so I picked one up today. I really like this but the price keeps it from being a regular purchase.

I passed on Turley Mill cask strength rye. It was five years and cask strength for about $60 I think. I don't know anything about that one. It's from New Mexico so I figure it's from the same people who bottle Taos, which would mean it's almost definitely MGP. I passed on the new cask strength Knob Creek as well — I'm still annoyed by the way they handled the Booker's price increase and it's just strange they didn't label this one "straight".

Edited by Spade
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Hochstsdter’s Vatted.  Thanks to kevinbrink for his recommendation.  Not often a $30 bottle of rye delivers this quality and balance of flavor.  Enjoying it straight and with a cube.  Will try a Manhattan this weekend when my son comes into town for a visit.  Really nice.

Edited by El Vino
  • I like it 1

27 minutes ago, El Vino said:

Hochstsdter’s Vatted.  Thanks to kevinbrink for his recommendation.  Not often a $30 bottle of rye delivers this quality and balance of flavor.  Enjoying it straight and with a cube.  Will try a Manhattan this weekend when my son comes into town for a visit.  Really nice.

Agreed, though you knew that! I think I'll join you with a pour from this well loved bottle. 

y4mL9ZiUjgoYPNaOYaUaSA56nvhk91Iojr3f8P6f

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Agreed, though you knew that! I think I'll join you with a pour from this well loved bottle. 

y4mL9ZiUjgoYPNaOYaUaSA56nvhk91Iojr3f8P6f

Kevin do you know if this is still in production?  I see the Rock & Rye around.

9 hours ago, PaulO said:

Kevin do you know if this is still in production?  I see the Rock & Rye around.

A bunch of the Jersey guys have been speculating on this a bit as it seems to be less available and some stores seem to not be able to get it from distributors, I just sent an email to Cooper Spirits asking them, will post the response if I get one. 

Picked up a RR 6 yr rye yesterday for a decent price; $35. The LS had it on the shelf right next to a RR10 which was marked at $49. I asked the salesman if they were switched and he said "no, the older stuff is more expensive." I still expected it to ring up over $50 when he scanned it but nope. In other crazy price news, they had a HW Bourye for $90 and and a HWMWND for $200.

I saw a Hochstadter's Family Reserve in a glass cabinet today, priced @ $199.99 plus tax.

Picked this up today on the recommendation of a buddy. We have similar palates for bourbon and Scotch, so hope this Rye is good too.IMG_8398.JPG

Two years ago I had a failed experiment - putting some port in a small 1 liter barrel for a couple of months (with a bunch of marbles so as not to have to waste THAT much tawny port), dumping, rinsing, and then filling with some SAOS 7 & 8 yr BP rye I had.  I didn't let it sit in there too much - less than a month - hoping for a "port finished rye" effect, but wound up way too heavy on the port.  Since I've been looking for what I could mingle it with - hoping that cutting it with straight rye so I don't have to just dump it.  Tried Ritt BIB at different ratios (typically a 1:1 and 3:1 both ways) and didn't care for it.  Tried HW DR - same thing.  Made 3 mini-mingles last weekend using the KC CS Rye, and the 1:1 may be a winner!  Want too revisit it again before using any more of that KC CS Rye).  I think the age and proof of that are right where it needs to be to balance it out.  Fingers crossed!

Picked this up last night at the distillery's 6 year anniversary party. If it's as good as last year's release it should be awesome.

20180701_200142-1209x1612.jpg

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

During my visit with my son and his family in PA last month, I picked up a bottle of High West Rendezvous Rye for an afternoon of grilling.  It hit the spot!  

Was offered the new Owl and this Pig for the same price and chose age over beauty...

IMG_0298.thumb.JPG.db985790679135a53ce52cff68e2ac9c.JPG

• I like it 3

On 7/28/2018 at 8:01 PM, Marekv8 said:

Was offered the new Owl and this Pig for the same price and chose age over beauty...

IMG_0298.thumb.JPG.db985790679135a53ce52cff68e2ac9c.JPG

I'm curious to see how you like this one. The price and low-ish proof has kept me away, but I'm generally a fan of WP, especially the Alberta distilled stuff (standard WP10 and store picks).

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

I'm curious to see how you like this one. The price and low-ish proof has kept me away, but I'm generally a fan of WP, especially the Alberta distilled stuff (standard WP10 and store picks).

Really nicely balanced with a tremendous mouthfeel and nice battle between the spice and cask influence. After the finish finally died off, I chased it with a bit of the nearly-as-expensive Peerless, which came across as rancid mouthwash.

IMG_0335.thumb.jpg.ee6465cd4b76c54d153e4f026d493642.jpg

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.