Rye Talk (2018) Purchases-Enjoyment

bourbon4all
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Really nicely balanced with a tremendous mouthfeel and nice battle between the spice and cask influence. After the finish finally died off, I chased it with a bit of the nearly-as-expensive Peerless, which came across as rancid mouthwash.

IMG_0335.thumb.jpg.ee6465cd4b76c54d153e4f026d493642.jpg

To be honest you were the first person I saw with such a high endorsement for this one. But then again I trust your opinion more than most others so just went ahead and ordered a pour with my lunch :) It is damn good rye, and drinks its age.

1 hour ago, Kane said:

To be honest you were the first person I saw with such a high endorsement for this one. But then again I trust your opinion more than most others so just went ahead and ordered a pour with my lunch :) It is damn good rye, and drinks its age.

Man, I wish I had a pour of it for lunch-- to hell with food.

Tonight a sample of 2009 THH someone sent me.  

Hot and mean, & full of spice and fire. 

Its actually pretty good, but it’s intense!

Glad to have the opportunity to try it. 

My son and I met up in Delaware and picked up Pikesville and a 3yo Willet for the weekend.  Enjoyed both.  The candy corn finish on the Willet grabbed us on the first pour.  The Pikesville revealed itself over a couple of sessions.  I have to catch a plane back home so both bottles went home with my son.  He sent me a pic where they're hanging out with his Whistlepig.  Ryes have been good to us on our last 2 visits.  When we got together in June it was High West Rendezvous.

4906.jpeg

• I like it 2

Opened this bottle I bought a few weeks ago. This might be the most unusual tasting whiskey I have ever had. I can’t pinpoint the flavor, but it is unusual.IMG_8789.JPG

17 hours ago, NDN98 said:

Opened this bottle I bought a few weeks ago. This might be the most unusual tasting whiskey I have ever had. I can’t pinpoint the flavor, but it is unusual.IMG_8789.JPG

Cinnamon? I got to try the components of this blend separately with David when it fits came out and I recall the vermouth finished portion (I think) was a cinnamon bomb!

The bottle I had of YKY (batch ???? was WAAAAY too heavy on the vermouth. It was like a Manhattan with an extra shot of vermouth in it. Mixing it with some additional DR or any rye at the suggestion of another SBr really helped.

Ha ha agreed^

I also thought HW YKY tasted weird, but now I realize it tastes quite familiar on the vermouth scale :) Interesting dram nonetheless.

14 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Cinnamon? I got to try the components of this blend separately with David when it fits came out and I recall the vermouth finished portion (I think) was a cinnamon bomb!

I revisited it last night and while there was a little cinnamon, but the flavors that most stood out were licorice and dill pickle.  

11 hours ago, Clueby said:

The bottle I had of YKY (batch ???? was WAAAAY too heavy on the vermouth. It was like a Manhattan with an extra shot of vermouth in it. Mixing it with some additional DR or any rye at the suggestion of another SBr really helped.

I  also agree with you about it tasting a little like a Manhattan.  It defiantly has a similar smell to a Manhattan.

Since I was on vacation in PA, seemed only right to pick up something I can't get at home, @Dad'sHatRye this is pretty tasty, one of these days I'll actually have to take the much shorter trip to visit the distillery 

y4mVTahQ-Q8WsX80--j27sz47luZ4xxNfsPPMYIk

On 8/11/2018 at 7:30 PM, kevinbrink said:

Since I was on vacation in PA, seemed only right to pick up something I can't get at home, @Dad'sHatRye this is pretty tasty, one of these days I'll actually have to take the much shorter trip to visit the distillery 

y4mVTahQ-Q8WsX80--j27sz47luZ4xxNfsPPMYIk

Glad to hear, I am looking forward to getting some of this now that DH has GA distribution.

• I like it 1

A purchase of sorts although I didn’t buy it myself! We were offered a chance to pick a “barrel” (really a set number of cases I think) of 13yo WhistlePig at cask strength at my store and the owner and I sampled the options available and found one at 121 proof that we thought was very nice. It will be bottled at barrel proof and best of all it will be about the same price as the shelf 10yo. Only uncertainty is the source. Not clear if it is ADL or MGP (or something else???). I thought it was more like ADL based on some bottles we brought in to try next to it but for me as MGP gets older it gets harder to tell.

Anyway, if the bottles are as good as the sample it should be quite the bargain, whatever the source Should be in by October. Maybe.

Of course the reason why it is such a bargain is another little mystery.  Then again WP is often filled with more than a little mystery...

• I like it 2

29 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

A purchase of sorts although I didn’t buy it myself! We were offered a chance to pick a “barrel” (really a set number of cases I think) of 13yo WhistlePig at cask strength at my store and the owner and I sampled the options available and found one at 121 proof that we thought was very nice. It will be bottled at barrel proof and best of all it will be about the same price as the shelf 10yo. Only uncertainty is the source. Not clear if it is ADL or MGP (or something else???). I thought it was more like ADL based on some bottles we brought in to try next to it but for me as MGP gets older it gets harder to tell.

Anyway, if the bottles are as good as the sample it should be quite the bargain, whatever the source Should be in by October. Maybe.

Of course the reason why it is such a bargain is another little mystery.  Then again WP is often filled with more than a little mystery...

That sounds great.  I think the bottles still are marked as 100% rye, so that would be the giveaway.  If it's not marked then who knows.  Either way sounds like a pretty good value at 13 years and 120 proof.

The sample bottle wasn’t marked and the distributor rep didn’t know. Will just have to wait until the bottles arrive. But if they match the sample we should be good either way. Not sure I fully trust labels any way!

Of course I have had a few that didn’t seem to match the sample. We have the sample still so we shall see!

FedEx showed up with these last week. 

I’ll admit that im a little fascinated by what this distillery is doing out in NM. 

So, this is a blind purchase on my end. 

If it’s good, I plan on looking for some of their other products. 

31DF7DB6-23BE-4553-A344-24E021D6181E.jpeg

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

I’ll admit that im a little fascinated by what this distillery is doing out in NM. 

What is the age on those? Mine is a 6 year and I like it a lot despite the fact that it is OAK driven. I wonder at what point the barrels left Indiana for New Mexico because it seems to have some accelerated aging for a 6 year rye compared to a SAOS Rye or Redemption 7 yr CS. 

9 hours ago, 0895 said:

Never heard of this, but it seems very interesting.  Curious when you open it on what your thoughts are.  Always interested in a good cask strength rye.

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

What is the age on those? Mine is a 6 year and I like it a lot despite the fact that it is OAK driven. I wonder at what point the barrels left Indiana for New Mexico because it seems to have some accelerated aging for a 6 year rye compared to a SAOS Rye or Redemption 7 yr CS. 

8 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

Never heard of this, but it seems very interesting.  Curious when you open it on what your thoughts are.  Always interested in a good cask strength rye.

They are both 6 year, batch 13 (Joe, these are MGP sourced, then aged out in the desert in NM).  Rumors online mention the barrels aging just sitting outside, or inside semi-trailers or containers.

I actually find it to be rather light and easy drinking.  Initial taste on the tongue is that peppery fire so typical from MGP products (especially the rye), but then it quickly cools off and leads me to some light citrus type flavors.  The wood I would describe as very dry oak, but I wouldn't say it overpowers.  Seems well balanced and subtly complex.  You really have to work to get the nuances, but they are there.  I didn't get any MGP dill from this bottle.  My wife says its there, but very very weak.  She says the Turley tastes like "sunshine in a bottle" (and she is pretty well versed in ryes).  Stupid as it sounds, its a great way to explain it.  Its very bright and almost refreshing.

So, overall, a very light and easy drinking, summertime rye.  Dry heat and citrus, with a present, but low amount of rye spice.  I fear it would easily get lost in a cocktail.

Just because I'm a nerd, I immediately pulled out a WFE 6 year CS MGP sourced rye.  Completely different experience, with loads of dill flavor and just a flavor punch in the face.  The heat and wood experience is more damp or moist and overall the whiskey has a more earthy quality to it compared to the Turley.

Kevin, it would be nice to know at what point they got moved from IN to NM.

Overall, I found this SBS to be a great learning experience as to what different conditions can do to what I assume started life as the same new make.  I could be wrong though as I have no inside knowledge.

Definitely no regrets on purchasing.

On 8/18/2018 at 5:09 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Looking forward to it!!

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Popped on a KY Owl batch 2. It was the cheapest I’ve ever seen it so the will power to keep saying no dried right up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.