Rye Talk (2018) Purchases-Enjoyment

bourbon4all
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I wish they would've had multiple bottles. 

20180919_165529.jpg

Great price!  I happened to be in the local Meijer today and they had High West Rendezvous Rye on clearance for $16.49.  I grabbed one.  I am not too concerned about their selling out.  I will be in the area again on Saturday so I may pick up another bottle or two if there is any left.  

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Great price!  I happened to be in the local Meijer today and they had High West Rendezvous Rye on clearance for $16.49.  I grabbed one.  I am not too concerned about their selling out.  I will be in the area again on Saturday so I may pick up another bottle or two if there is any left.  

375ml or 750ml?

Either way, that's a ridiculously good price!

Edited by 0895

19 minutes ago, 0895 said:

375ml or 750ml?

Either way, that's a ridiculously good price!

750 ml!  It has a different shelf label than the other bottles but I still thought it was mispriced.  I took it to the price scanner and it said it was on clearance.  The clearance price was cheaper than the DR price.

6 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

750 ml!  It has a different shelf label than the other bottles but I still thought it was mispriced.  I took it to the price scanner and it said it was on clearance.  The clearance price was cheaper than the DR price.

That's insane.  It's $60 here for a 750ml.  What batch # did you get? 

(Quietly packs the car for a road trip)

;)

Edited by 0895

I’ve finally been getting into my KC BP the last couple of weeks. I’m just not loving this one. To me it’s much more “Beam” than “Rye”. Since I’m currently on the downswing with Beam products this is not a good thing for me. But I can see the quality components in the whiskey that make this right in the wheelhouse for some folks.

Interesting though is the continuing development of my sensitivity to certain aspects of whiskey. 20ish years ago when I started geeking on whiskey the barrel types, mash bills, geographies, etc were all more pronounced....and really they still are. But as I’ve spent much more time with products from the big boys of American whiskeys over the last 5-7 years I’m finding a higher sensitivity to the yeasts they use. Like “damn that’s woodford” or “yep, Beam for sure”. It’s the pronounced nature of certain distillers’ yeasts that make them specifically identifiable to me. And usually not in a good way. I’m kind of at the point where if I’m not liking your yeast then I’m probably not liking much you are putting out. (I’m sure there is a dirty joke in there but I just can’t find it)

Alright, enough blah, blah, blah. Back to just drinking it.

9 hours ago, BigRich said:

I’ve finally been getting into my KC BP the last couple of weeks. I’m just not loving this one. To me it’s much more “Beam” than “Rye”. Since I’m currently on the downswing with Beam products this is not a good thing for me. But I can see the quality components in the whiskey that make this right in the wheelhouse for some folks.

Interesting though is the continuing development of my sensitivity to certain aspects of whiskey. 20ish years ago when I started geeking on whiskey the barrel types, mash bills, geographies, etc were all more pronounced....and really they still are. But as I’ve spent much more time with products from the big boys of American whiskeys over the last 5-7 years I’m finding a higher sensitivity to the yeasts they use. Like “damn that’s woodford” or “yep, Beam for sure”. It’s the pronounced nature of certain distillers’ yeasts that make them specifically identifiable to me. And usually not in a good way. I’m kind of at the point where if I’m not liking your yeast then I’m probably not liking much you are putting out. (I’m sure there is a dirty joke in there but I just can’t find it)

I'm just waiting for you to get past that Beam downswing so you can be amazed at JB Distiller's Cut ;)

Enjoying some of that KC BP mingled with a port-finished SAOS rye mingle I did (that was too heavy on the port; cutting it with the KC BP is pretty tasty).  

On 9/21/2018 at 8:51 AM, BigRich said:

I’ve finally been getting into my KC BP the last couple of weeks. I’m just not loving this one. To me it’s much more “Beam” than “Rye”.

I’m with you on this one. Glad I just sampled, instead of buying one. 

It got more tolerable as it sat in the glass and aired out. 

I suppose the more corn forward ryes are just not my thing.

Picked this pair up from FedEx yesterday. 

Although it doesn’t specifically say distilled in IN, there are strong indications of it being mgp -and I’m just fine with that. 

At least it’s “straight rye”, since it’s NAS

According to to their website, it’s 4 yrs old and 95% rye mash. 

It also won a gold medal in San Francisco’s world spirit competition, so you know it’s amazing! ;)

Anyway, after trying and enjoying their “Turley Mill” CS mgp rye, I had to look for some of their other products. 

Also it has “lightning” in the name, can you get any cooler than that!

image.jpg

• I like it 1

On 9/22/2018 at 11:17 AM, 0895 said:

Picked this pair up from FedEx yesterday. 

Although it doesn’t specifically say distilled in IN, there are strong indications of it being mgp -and I’m just fine with that. 

At least it’s “straight rye”, since it’s NAS

According to to their website, it’s 4 yrs old and 95% rye mash. 

It also won a gold medal in San Francisco’s world spirit competition, so you know it’s amazing! ;)

Anyway, after trying and enjoying their “Turley Mill” CS mgp rye, I had to look for some of their other products. 

Also it has “lightning” in the name, can you get any cooler than that!

image.jpg

I don't know anything about the whiskey, but Charles has some interesting facial hair going on. ;)

On 9/21/2018 at 9:51 AM, BigRich said:

Are you talking about the CS KC Rye?

That's interesting about the yeast. I suppose it's about the only variable from house to house that would explain that common note. In my short limited experience with 4R I still get a very distinct recognizable flavor. I feel like I could identify about any of their recipes as being 4R. With 5 different yeasts how is that possible?

10 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

I don't know anything about the whiskey, but Charles has some interesting facial hair going on. ;)

I thought so too, but after careful examination, it appears to be shadowing (like in a pencil sketch).

:)

13 hours ago, 0895 said:

I thought so too, but after careful examination, it appears to be shadowing (like in a pencil sketch).

:)

It's the lightning effect. :lol:

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watching my Yankees get spanked by the Red Sox, so figured I’d open up a nice new rye, and do a SBS while I was at it.  Opened up a Willett distilled 4 Year Small Batch rye, 119 proof.  I still have several bottles of the MGP Willett 4 Year Single Barrel rye, 110 proof, one of which has been open for a while.  Did a little SBS.

Cutting to the chase, standing alone, I have always been a big fan of the sourced MGP Willett rye.  Head to head though, this KY distilled Willett was noticeably better to my taste.  Really well done, delicious rye.  Kudos to Willett, terrific 4 year rye, and something that will likely be really special as it ages even more.

F3655F35-092E-4EEC-8E7B-AF350AE7765C.jpeg

I was at the store this morning....... Wait a minute, that would be way too simple. :huh: I know there are probably a number of folks here wondering WTF is Joe doing posting in the rye section.  :o I feel that some further explanation is warranted. In other words, a long winded story is in order. ;)

Almost all of the work on our house is done. New siding, gutters and a front window are finally almost complete. (Only a couple minor odds and ends to finish up.)  Bushes were removed a few weeks ago, but while I was on vacation last week, I had three yards of dirt delivered to level off the area in front of our house, and fill in some low spots elsewhere in our yard. I did all the shoveling and raking by hand. I also removed an old, medium sized mulch flower bed near our front door, and replaced it with one using retaining wall blocks. Anyway, I finally have a little time to relax, so I thought I'd make this fall seasons first batch of Joe's Hoosier Sweet Chili-Mac. :D Besides, the grandkids will be coming over later on today, and they always like it when I make my chili. Bless 'em. :wub: 

So anyway, my wife and I went to the store this morning to get all the fixins' for my chili, and a few other items. Naturally I had to meander by the liquor department. FWIW, this is a store just a few blocks from my house, and they really don't have much of a selection with decent pricing. I normally don't look on their closeout area because it usually contains only wine. This time I took a gander, and there was a bottle of Lot 40 Canadian Rye. (I know, not American, but....)  It was clearance priced at $23.00. Their normal price was $59.99. Even though I'm not a rye guy, I couldn't pass this up.  I hope this is a good price. What can I say? :P Pics below, even of couple of my chili. :)

Biba! Joe

rye1.jpeg

rye2.jpeg

ch1.jpeg

ch2.jpeg

• I like it 3

I'm not a rye guy, only had baby Saz and AE before. The former was a fruit juice bomb and the latter is a little too...not sure, but not something I needed to buy again. But I was willing to wade into the pool again, so I picked up a Ritt yesterday. Gave it a tiny taste last night - definitely better than my first two purchases, but still nothing I'll pour regularly. Nice change of pace, tho.

On 10/6/2018 at 5:51 PM, dcbt said:

I'm not a rye guy, only had baby Saz and AE before. The former was a fruit juice bomb and the latter is a little too...not sure, but not something I needed to buy again. But I was willing to wade into the pool again, so I picked up a Ritt yesterday. Gave it a tiny taste last night - definitely better than my first two purchases, but still nothing I'll pour regularly. Nice change of pace, tho.

I've not had AE Rye before but a social media group I belong to was raving about it just the other day. Several proclaimed it as their favorite and one likened it to PVW20 which I thought was extremely odd.  Its still on my try list though. Baby Saz is indeed juicy and what I think of as "fresh" tasting.  It is my favorite for making Sazerac cocktails.  Ritt is a heartier rye with a chocolate note.  It makes better Manhattans.

A local store just got a High west rendezvous pick in. I like to support them and I liked the finish they chose. 3 years finishing in a bourbon barrel and bottled cask strength. 

40 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

A local store just got a High west rendezvous pick in. I like to support them and I liked the finish they chose. 3 years finishing in a bourbon barrel and bottled cask strength. 

Nice.  That should be solid.  A store by me had a HW Double Rye finished in a bourbon barrel for 2.5 years, and it is terrific.  I'd take a good old bourbon barrel finish over some of their more eclectic finishes.

1 hour ago, jshleffar said:

I didn't know HW did rendezvous picks! Is that common?

8 minutes ago, Kane said:

Apologies, Double Rye

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

I've not had AE Rye before but a social media group I belong to was raving about it just the other day. Several proclaimed it as their favorite and one likened it to PVW20 which I thought was extremely odd.  Its still on my try list though. Baby Saz is indeed juicy and what I think of as "fresh" tasting.  It is my favorite for making Sazerac cocktails.  Ritt is a heartier rye with a chocolate note.  It makes better Manhattans.

The AE rye, in my opinion, is a dessert whiskey novelty. I’ve never had more than one pour on any given day. It is quite sweet, and depending who you ask it may be described as tasting like butterscotch or other things. I’m not saying it’s bad I’m just saying I haven’t bought a second bottle after I finished one a while back, and I can only thing of a few good-pairing situations in which I think I would pour it if I did still have some on hand. Places around me are charging $90 or more for it and at that price I’m unlikrly to buy again based on the narrow use I see for it. But that’s just me. Certainly worth a pour at a bar sometime to judge for yourself as it’s certainly unique

3 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Nice.  That should be solid.  A store by me had a HW Double Rye finished in a bourbon barrel for 2.5 years, and it is terrific.  I'd take a good old bourbon barrel finish over some of their more eclectic finishes.

Assuming your talking about the LOWC pick, something about that one as I think I've said before checks all the boxes for me, one of my favorites.  I have a Rendezvous with a similar finish that I don't like nearly as much, just goes to show that age is just a number!

2 hours ago, jshleffar said:

Apologies, Double Rye

My recollection is that HW also did a few Rendezvous ryes that were finished in the early years. I think I still have one!

Somewhere...

2 hours ago, Kane said:

There are certainly more DR and AP picks but I've had a least a couple Rendezvous here's the one I mentioned above which is currently open

y4mKGomGYPSN9uqbxmjGUssykJLOleCLSTV_sOA4 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.