Rye Talk (2018) Purchases-Enjoyment

bourbon4all
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

19 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Assuming your talking about the LOWC pick, something about that one as I think I've said before checks all the boxes for me, one of my favorites.  I have a Rendezvous with a similar finish that I don't like nearly as much, just goes to show that age is just a number!

Yep, that's the one.  She's a good one.  I picked up the Cognac finished Double Rye that they got in recently, but I haven't cracked that one open yet.  I believe I recall that you have, and were impressed.

Last evening, I had another pour of the Michter's Barrel Strength rye, which provenance be damned, is not just one of my favorite ryes, but one of my favorite whiskeys, period.  That one checks all of my boxes.  Viscous and chewy, caramel, oak, rye spice and kick.  Just delicious, and glad I have a few bunkered.

6 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Yep, that's the one.  She's a good one.  I picked up the Cognac finished Double Rye that they got in recently, but I haven't cracked that one open yet.  I believe I recall that you have, and were impressed.

Last evening, I had another pour of the Michter's Barrel Strength rye, which provenance be damned, is not just one of my favorite ryes, but one of my favorite whiskeys, period.  That one checks all of my boxes.  Viscous and chewy, caramel, oak, rye spice and kick.  Just delicious, and glad I have a few bunkered.

I did grab one of those, funny thing is I forgot I had one and accidentally picked up another. 

On 8/18/2018 at 4:09 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

A purchase of sorts although I didn’t buy it myself! We were offered a chance to pick a “barrel” (really a set number of cases I think) of 13yo WhistlePig at cask strength at my store and the owner and I sampled the options available and found one at 121 proof that we thought was very nice. It will be bottled at barrel proof and best of all it will be about the same price as the shelf 10yo. Only uncertainty is the source. Not clear if it is ADL or MGP (or something else???). I thought it was more like ADL based on some bottles we brought in to try next to it but for me as MGP gets older it gets harder to tell.

Anyway, if the bottles are as good as the sample it should be quite the bargain, whatever the source Should be in by October. Maybe.

Of course the reason why it is such a bargain is another little mystery.  Then again WP is often filled with more than a little mystery...

I've read that all the recent WP10 single barrel barrel proof picks are from MGP. This is a bit weird as the bottle still says Canada. I ordered a pick a couple weeks ago from TWCP, which had some pretty clear MGP notes to it. I followed up with TWCP, who followed up with WhistlePig and confirmed that it was MGP. I tried to get the specific age out of them but they wouldn't say.

"our single barrel select came from LDI. Youngest Whiskey in the bottle is 10 years....they will not disclose other age statement"

No complaints from me, this bottle is one of the best ryes I've ever had.

Did you get your pick in yet, and do you ship? ? 13 year MGP sounds fantastic. It's great that MGP seems to have some older stock again.

Edited by EarthQuake

3 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

I've read that all the recent WP10 single barrel barrel proof picks are from MGP. This is a bit weird as the bottle still says Canada. I ordered a pick a couple weeks ago from TWCP, which had some pretty clear MGP notes to it. I followed up with TWCP, who followed up with WhistlePig and confirmed that it was MGP.

No complaints from me, this bottle is one of the best ryes I've ever had.

Did you get your pick in yet, and do you ship? ? 13 year MGP sounds fantastic. It's great that MGP seems to have some older stock again.

Not in yet as of last week to my knowledge. Certainly could be MGP. 13yo MGP would indeed be ok by me. Just would prefer more transparency on the source so we can tell those who really want to know. As we know many people wouldn't know the difference or care.

• I like it 2

13 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Not in yet as of last week to my knowledge. Certainly could be MGP. 13yo MGP would indeed be ok by me. Just would prefer more transparency on the source so we can tell those who really want to know. As we know many people wouldn't know the difference or care.

Yeah, have you tried reaching out to WP? They responded to TWCP pretty quickly so I imagine they would be able to tell you more info?

It's a bit weird in any case. I have another pick from about a year ago from a different store. The label is a bit different, that one says "Finished in Bourbon Barrels", which I think appears on the regular 10 year. They updated the labels a bit it looks like, even the back labels are different, but both say "Imported from Canada". It's odd that they would bother to update the labels but wouldn't change Canada to Indiana, assuming what I've read is that all the single barrels are MGP (it was a facebook post from a WhistlePig employee, so I'm not sure how accurate it is).

I tasted the two picks side by side here and they are definitely the same flavor profile, MGP rather than ADL as I had assumed when I got the first one last year.

wp1.jpg

wp2.jpg

Once they come in and I see the label I will reach out for clarification and see what they say, if anything. If it is as good as the sample I suppose it won't matter too much but i would still like to know.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Once they come in and I see the label I will reach out for clarification and see what they say, if anything. If it is as good as the sample I suppose it won't matter too much but i would still like to know.

Haha yes exactly, I want to know just to know at this point. Thanks!

Edited by EarthQuake

Picked this up today out of curiosity, 4 year old 110 proof MGP Rye, if this said Willett Family Estate on the bottle what would it cost? This is a really enjoyable pour. 

y4mggA2fqdKmAiuJl98bTposaVOhVAc3ARqUxh5W

18 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Picked this up today out of curiosity, 4 year old 110 proof MGP Rye, if this said Willett Family Estate on the bottle what would it cost? This is a really enjoyable pour. 

Probably about $42, or at least, that's what I paid for my bottle of 4 year Willett Small Batch (113.8) the other day. I'm not entirely sure if this is sourced or their in-house distillate? It's really nice for a 4 year old though. 

9 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Probably about $42, or at least, that's what I paid for my bottle of 4 year Willett Small Batch (113.8) the other day. I'm not entirely sure if this is sourced or their in-house distillate? It's really nice for a 4 year old though. 

The new 4 year is their distillate and I agree I think it's worth the price. I wasn't really talking about the actual retail price on the WFE MGP Sourced Ryes, the last time one was on the shelf around here the markup was considerable. It's funny but the 2 & 3 year old ryes were also marked up but I think the fact that stores had trouble moving them brought the price of the 4 year down here when it showed up. 

1 minute ago, kevinbrink said:

The new 4 year is their distillate and I agree I think it's worth the price. I wasn't really talking about the actual retail price on the WFE MGP Sourced Ryes, the last time one was on the shelf around here the markup was considerable. It's funny but the 2 & 3 year old ryes were also marked up but I think the fact that stores had trouble moving them brought the price of the 4 year down here when it showed up. 

Ah yeah for sure. Price gouging and secondary nonsense. I see some stores online that want $125 for this 4 year Willett lol.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, beasled said:

Good week so far.

image.thumb.png.1a52f20ab6afcfc17eceb316cf94c3df.png

Is that Lot 40 on the shelves over there or did you "import" it? Looking forward to your thoughts on that one Dave

16 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Is that Lot 40 on the shelves over there or did you "import" it? Looking forward to your thoughts on that one Dave

The Whisky Exchange had it (briefly), as an exclusive. A one-off I think. Been rumoured to be coming for a while now. Fair price too at £70. They also had JP Wiser's 35 year old, which may or may not have slipped into my basket at the same time... 

Edited by beasled
  • I like it 1

1 minute ago, beasled said:

The Whisky Exchange had it (briefly), as an exclusive. A one-off I think. Been rumoured to be coming for a while now. Fair price too at £70. They also had JP Wiser's 35 year old, which may or may not have slipped into my basket at the same time... 

Very nice! 

• I like it 1

My favorites lately are the following:

1.  Whistlepig Barrel Strength Rye @ 114.8 proof.

2.  Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye @ 119.6 proof.

3.  Pikesville Straight Rye @ 110 proof.

4.  Sagamore Spirit Rye Barrel Strength @ 112.2 proof.

Edited by Ace1943
Stupidity

Picked up a MWND A6S5 today.  Wasn't crazy about the price increase to $100 this year although another local store had it at $90.  Was $80 last year.

17 hours ago, Clueby said:

Picked up a MWND A6S5 today.  Wasn't crazy about the price increase to $100 this year although another local store had it at $90.  Was $80 last year.

Good thing I stocked up last year at $52. It was the first time the store had the bottles and I think they mispriced them. 

• I like it 1

On 9/24/2018 at 10:55 AM, CUfan99 said:

Are you talking about the CS KC Rye?

That's interesting about the yeast. I suppose it's about the only variable from house to house that would explain that common note. In my short limited experience with 4R I still get a very distinct recognizable flavor. I feel like I could identify about any of their recipes as being 4R. With 5 different yeasts how is that possible?

Fermentation time, mashbill, still, and distillation process.

On 9/21/2018 at 6:51 AM, BigRich said:

I’ve finally been getting into my KC BP the last couple of weeks. I’m just not loving this one. To me it’s much more “Beam” than “Rye”. Since I’m currently on the downswing with Beam products this is not a good thing for me. But I can see the quality components in the whiskey that make this right in the wheelhouse for some folks.

Interesting though is the continuing development of my sensitivity to certain aspects of whiskey. 20ish years ago when I started geeking on whiskey the barrel types, mash bills, geographies, etc were all more pronounced....and really they still are. But as I’ve spent much more time with products from the big boys of American whiskeys over the last 5-7 years I’m finding a higher sensitivity to the yeasts they use. Like “damn that’s woodford” or “yep, Beam for sure”. It’s the pronounced nature of certain distillers’ yeasts that make them specifically identifiable to me. And usually not in a good way. I’m kind of at the point where if I’m not liking your yeast then I’m probably not liking much you are putting out. (I’m sure there is a dirty joke in there but I just can’t find it)

Alright, enough blah, blah, blah. Back to just drinking it.

Right there with you on the identifiability of yeast profiles. I have a pretty good track record in double blind tastings of identifying the distillery.

5 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

Good thing I stocked up last year at $52. It was the first time the store had the bottles and I think they mispriced them. 

I think you are right.  I don't think they've ever been proved that low at msrp since it's been around. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.