Rye Talk (2018) Purchases-Enjoyment

bourbon4all
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 10/19/2018 at 6:34 AM, beasled said:

Good week so far.

image.thumb.png.1a52f20ab6afcfc17eceb316cf94c3df.png

So jealous!

That Lot 40 is absolutely fantastic.  Has a nose that's delightfully different.

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

So jealous!

That Lot 40 is absolutely fantastic.  Has a nose that's delightfully different.

I've been reacquainting myself with the standard Lot 40 which for the price and proof is a decent sipper. Looking forward to comparing the two!

So, I am generally pretty negative on Whistle Pig, for a variety of reasons. But I was out and stopped into a place where I know the liquor guy and respect his knowledge. He had gotten two WP barrel picks and said I should try them both. So he poured me samples and I was really impressed with both. One was an MGP barrel, and the other was the Canadian. They were both very good, totally different profiles, and different proofs. I’m a sucker for aged MGP rye so bought one of those, $88. They also had a HWDR finished for a year in a Moscatel barrel. Normally I only use DR in cocktails as I think the young component shows a little harshness but the extra finishing on this one really rounded off some of those rough edges and it was nice neat. Grabbed one at $47. And grabbed a HWMWND for $90 because why not? 

2 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

So, I am generally pretty negative on Whistle Pig, for a variety of reasons. But I was out and stopped into a place where I know the liquor guy and respect his knowledge. He had gotten two WP barrel picks and said I should try them both. So he poured me samples and I was really impressed with both. One was an MGP barrel, and the other was the Canadian. They were both very good, totally different profiles, and different proofs. I’m a sucker for aged MGP rye so bought one of those, $88. They also had a HWDR finished for a year in a Moscatel barrel. Normally I only use DR in cocktails as I think the young component shows a little harshness but the extra finishing on this one really rounded off some of those rough edges and it was nice neat. Grabbed one at $47. And grabbed a HWMWND for $90 because why not? 

Can't have too many of these around!

I’m diving into a recent purchase of a store select 13 yr old WhistlePig in honor of Dave. A damn good whiskey from a damn cool guy. We’ll miss you Dave.

• I like it 1

Switching it up after dinner with a Mancini Vermouth, KC CS Rye, And Fee Brothers Manhattan. Really digging this lately.

• I like it 1

Not really in the market for anything today but not going to pass on this:

20181104_124157.jpg

• I like it 4

I am enjoying Kentucky Owl batch 2 immensely. Maybe even more than batch 1 (though that is a distant memory now). A few bottles were available here for what seemed like well below the US retail so I picked them up. I think if the price were better this would have much better reviews. Dangerously drinkable, especially with a dissolved ice cube.

Stopped at Binny’s as I had 15 minutes to kill before an appointment and these 3 beauties jumped in my arms and came home with me. IMG_4269.JPG

• I like it 2

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:18 PM, 0895 said:

Some Willett house distilled 4y rye tonight.... while its freaking snowing!  *sigh*

1 hour ago, BMartin42 said:

Stopped at Binny’s as I had 15 minutes to kill before an appointment and these 3 beauties jumped in my arms and came home with me. IMG_4269.JPG

I have been impressed by the 4y BP Willett. 

5 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

On a 4 roses bar mat.  I love it!

Those are all good rye choices by the way.

If you find the Yippie a bit too overpowering w/ the wine, cut it with a little bit of regular ole $30 double rye to bump the rye spice a touch, and knock that wine finish off its high horse.

:)

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 2

I just finished my first 2018 lot 40 cask strength, it was so delicious! I'm glad I was able to score a few more. It's perfect for the holiday season. If any of you can score it, I find it much better than 2017, and it's 58.4% now. IMG_20181112_200158.jpeg

• I like it 1

@fishnbowljoe was generous enough to share a sample of this with me, and I'm glad I got to try it last night. I'll leave the bottles on the shelves for the rest of you all. -_-

20181113_060912.jpg

1 hour ago, Galvin0791 said:

@fishnbowljoe was generous enough to share a sample of this with me, and I'm glad I got to try it last night. I'll leave the bottles on the shelves for the rest of you all. -_-

Well, I guess I won’t be bringing that one over for Thanksgiving.  :mellow:

49 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I liked it... 

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Ehhhh, ya win some... ya lose some.

;)

I bought a WhistlePig store pick, but there is still no mention of the state/country of distillation. I was hoping to figure out if it was MGP or Canadian. 

Just picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB last night. I had forgotten how good it was. Out of the ryes I've tried, it's a solid second place to High West Double Rye.

Was surprised to find two bottles of old label (DSP KY1) Rittenhouse BIB staring me in the face at a store with bars on the windows somewhere in Tennessee this past weekend. Both went home with me for a little under 60 after tax. I think it has been five years since I have seen the old label on the shelf.

Edited by DeltaAlphaVictorEasy

On 11/13/2018 at 3:28 PM, Galvin0791 said:

20181113_060912.jpg

You know he only shared it because he got it for about $5 on close out, right? ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.