My Bourbon Shelf

Dannabis
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I don't think I've ever shared this, but here is a whiskey shelf, complete with eight bottles from about 6 years ago. This I fashioned out of a wooden box for some large ceramic parts for electric transformers.

From left to right:
BT
BT Bayway (NJ) store select
EWSB 04 Canals Family Selection (NJ)
EWSB 04 Canals Family Selection
EWSB 03
Rittenhouse Rye BIB
Fighting Cock 6 year
Eagle Rare 10 year Bayway store select

I considered it the first of my bourbon furniture or decorations, but have yet to come up with any more other than my abstractly painted over bottles projects and my open bottle shelf.

bourbonshelf.jpg

Edited by Dannabis
  • I like it 1

I like the 'earthquake-proof' design of this storage 'box', Dannabis.    Not sure whether where you reside is an earthquake zone; but if it is, you should be safe... or at least your bottles will be.  :D Heee-heeeee!

• I like it 1

It sure beats the duct taped, cardboard boxes I use.  I do have one wooden Bordeaux wine box.  I put my bunkered KC and OGD 114 in it and pushed it under my workbench.  Holds sixteen 750s, all standing up.  Out of her sight, . . .B)

• I like it 4

Along these lines, I've ended up with quite a few of these hand-built wooden cases with sliding lids. There are versions for 750mL, 1L and 200mL flasks. Craftsmanship in on the crude side, but could easily be improved upon. If anyone has a use for them and is passing through Baton Rouge, they're free for the taking-- just send a PM.

IMG_8974.thumb.jpg.b9964431df624cfdc1ab7d58b53a41bf.jpg

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Along these lines, I've ended up with quite a few of these hand-built wooden cases with sliding lids. There are versions for 750mL, 1L and 200mL flasks. Craftsmanship in on the crude side, but could easily be improved upon. If anyone has a use for them and is passing through Baton Rouge, they're free for the taking-- just send a PM.

Looks perfectly fine to me M. :D

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

On 4/9/2018 at 9:30 AM, Marekv8 said:

IMG_8974.thumb.jpg.b9964431df624cfdc1ab7d58b53a41bf.jpg

This!!! is!!!! GENIUS!!

Yes!! I think I will try building one myself! 

Nicely done!

• 3 months later...

I just joined this group and figured I’d make my first post in this thread.

Looking forward to contributing on others.

Made the shelves from plywood and stained to match the hutch. Used galvanized pipe for supports. Added motion sensor LED lights.

IMG_2055.JPG

Edited by bigdhornfan
  • I like it 2

21 minutes ago, bigdhornfan said:

:)
IMG_1968.HEIC

not sure why it's not showing up.

Welcome to SB.  I am impressed with your contractor skills.  Anytime I've tried to hang cantilever shelves, I have watched the wall behind it slowly but inexorably start to lean into the room.  I am not allowed to use tools in the house anymore, other than plumbing stuff.  And light bulbs for changing.  Extension cords are acceptable, too.

Nice selection of whiskeys on your shelves.  I note that you have an open WT Longbranch.  There's a fairly recent thread on it here, and a few of us have commented on it although most of us haven't tasted it.  What are your thoughts about it?

3 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Welcome to SB.  I am impressed with your contractor skills.  Anytime I've tried to hang cantilever shelves, I have watched the wall behind it slowly but inexorably start to lean into the room.  I am not allowed to use tools in the house anymore, other than plumbing stuff.  And light bulbs for changing.  Extension cords are acceptable, too.

Nice selection of whiskeys on your shelves.  I note that you have an open WT Longbranch.  There's a fairly recent thread on it here, and a few of us have commented on it although most of us haven't tasted it.  What are your thoughts about it?

Longbranch was very disappointing.  It's got a weak finish.  Being from Texas, I mainly bought it for the Matthew McConaughey connection.  But they missed the boat with this one IMO.  It's really nothing special.  Drinkable, but that's about it.

7 minutes ago, bigdhornfan said:

Longbranch was very disappointing.  It's got a weak finish.  Being from Texas, I mainly bought it for the Matthew McConaughey connection.  But they missed the boat with this one IMO.  It's really nothing special.  Drinkable, but that's about it.

For me, it worked well while I was sitting outside tending a charcoal grill in 90 degree heat and comparable humidity - as long as I put ice in it.  In other words, I, too, found it drinkable.

1 hour ago, bigdhornfan said:

Made the shelves from plywood and stained to match the hutch. Used galvanized pipe for supports. Added motion sensor LED lights.

Very fancy.  And welcome.  I'm also a Horns fan (alum even) in Dallas.  

• 11 months later...
On 4/6/2018 at 11:56 PM, Dannabis said:
So I don't think I've ever shared this, but here is a whiskey shelf, complete with eight bottles from about 6 years ago. This I fashioned out of a wooden box for some large ceramic parts for electric transformers.

From left to right:
BT
BT Bayway (NJ) store select
EWSB 04 Canals Family Selection (NJ)
EWSB 04 Canals Family Selection
EWSB 03
Rittenhouse Rye BIB
Fighting Cock 6 year
Eagle Rare 10 year Bayway store select

I considered it the first of my bourbon furniture or decorations, but have yet to come up with any more other than my abstractly painted over bottles projects and my open bottle shelf.

bourbonshelf.jpg

Wow, awesome collection!  I'm going to see if my ABC store has Rittenhouse

One of my boys makes these every so often.  Old ammo or arms crates, but ones that aren't beat to death are hard to come by.  This one used to hold .45s; pretty big and I was going to hang it on a wall but considering the weight and what was going in it I thought the better of it.  Only drawback is that the tall bottles don't fit.

shelf.jpg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.