Old Fitz BIB limited releases starting April 2018

Harry in WashDC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The HH press release is here - https://heavenhill.com/detail/302

IIRC, lots of us figured Old Fitz was being cannibalized to launch Larceny, and the Old Fitz offerings sort of dwindled away around here.  According to an email I got this AM, HH will be resurrecting Old Fitz BIB with semiannual releases.  It will be in a special decanter, be about 11 years old, and have a $110 MSRP.  Sort of makes me want to kick myself now.  Four years ago, I was in a store that had 12 of them on the shelf for $99 each, and I passed.  Now that I think about it, that $110 may be OK; time value of money, inflation, and likely more age on the upcoming LEs than on the BIBs that used to be everywhere.

There is a thread about that here: 

What did you see on the shelf four years ago for $99?  Old Fitz BIB (not the new 11 year old decanter version) is still on the shelf accross the river in Illinois for ~$20/750 and ~$35/1.75 although I am seeing a lot less of it.  I have an open 1.75 and one in the bunker so I'm probably gonna be content with that.

4 minutes ago, Clueby said:

There is a thread about that here: 

What did you see on the shelf four years ago for $99?  Old Fitz BIB (not the new 11 year old decanter version) is still on the shelf accross the river in Illinois for ~$20/750 and ~$35/1.75 although I am seeing a lot less of it.  I have an open 1.75 and one in the bunker so I'm probably gonna be content with that.

What I saw was the traditional BIB 750s.  Local stores haven't carried Old Fitz for years although the Montgomery County MD stores (run by the county) used to .  I think they've even cut back on the 80 proof.

RE that other thread - Thanks.  Missed that when I "searched".  FUTURE POSTERS!  Please post about the new decanter Old Fitz on that other thread.  THX.

That press release was from February. Has anyone heard anything more specific on the release timing yet? I’ll be in KY for the Derby which might be about right since they said they would be bottling this in April, but if they release it at the gift shop I might need to send one of my in-laws there for an earlier attempt.......

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Canarse said:

Bump. 

Has anyone seen any of this on the shelf, or even behind the shelf?

Since they didn’t mention anything about distribution yet, I’m assuming that this at least initially will be gift shop only. That wouldn’t be surprising the way Heaven Hill has done other realeases as gift shop only (or seriously limited outside of the gift shop) like WHH, HHSS, EW23, EW12, or the EC “grenades”. I’ll be in KY so I’m hoping it might be in the gift shop by then, but who knows, haven’t seen any other hints yet

2 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Since they didn’t mention anything about distribution yet, I’m assuming that this at least initially will be gift shop only. That wouldn’t be surprising the way Heaven Hill has done other realeases as gift shop only (or seriously limited outside of the gift shop) like WHH, HHSS, EW23, EW12, or the EC “grenades”. I’ll be in KY so I’m hoping it might be in the gift shop by then, but who knows, haven’t seen any other hints yet

I went digging into the articles around the press release and it said it would be bottled in April 2018.  So, I think getting it on the shelves in the same month might be asking a bit much.  I would find it odd that they would make such a splash with the press release and the article they send monthly to everyone if it was just going to be available in the gift shop, but maybe...

FYI, I spoke with someone at Heaven Hill, who told me that they started shipping this last week, and it would be available in some states on shelves as of today. They said it won’t be in the Heritage Center gift shop for a week or more, although he said they were trying t see if they could get some in by this weekend because of it being Derby. I asked if the release was only to limited states and he said it was technically available to all states but it depended on if the distributors had picked it up and they had gotten state approval or not so it won’t necessarily make it to every state. I don’t know if I feel encouraged or discouraged after that conversation but at least it is some info. Happy hunting

• I like it 1

Picked up a bottle today from a state abc store. $117.65 tax included.   I like the nose and although the initial taste seems a bit harsh it mellows out and finish is smooth. Glad I bought one but not sure I like it enough to repeat at this price point.  Very cool looking decanter and well labeled.    

image.jpg

image.jpg

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, $helby said:

Picked up a bottle today from a state abc store. $117.65 tax included.   I like the nose and although the initial taste seems a bit harsh it mellows out and finish is smooth. Glad I bought one but not sure I like it enough to repeat at this price point.  Very cool looking decanter and well labeled.    

image.jpg

image.jpg

That bottle is a beaut...

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got a call today from my LS (not Binnys) that it came in Chicagoland area

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, ok - I'm really weak!  Old Fitz 11yr BiB in its beautiful decanter hit Beantown stores last week - prices all over the place up to $149.99.  BUT, I got one for $89.99 OTD - at that price, I need another nice decanter right?  Will open her up when I get the SA Big Level close to the bottom.  I'm really, really weak!

Can we get the emojis to work again, please?  I need to express my sorrow, regret, and smiling eyes in my posts . . . . . 

Yeah, the bottle is really nice in person, but its appearance seems a bit  top heavy.   I still like the WTMK bottles as the classiest

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.