WT LongBranch

BDanner
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What are everyone's thoughts on the new Wild Turkey release, Longbranch? 8 yr Age Statement and filtered through Mesquite and Oak Charcoal for around $40. I'm anxious to try it.

Same, hoping the mesquite isn't over the top since it's probably my least favorite smoking wood. I would be lying if I didn't admit I will be buying the first one I see. 

I'm somewhat interested, but will likely also buy the first one I see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Proof is lower than I prefer but the price is reasonable so I'll spring for one. I'm a Turkey head so it's an easy call for me.

• I like it 2

I’m a bit on the fence but in the sub-$50 a bottle grouping I’m likely to try almost any whiskey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

Everything here ticks a box for me, Age Stated, an acceptable proof, unique process and Wild Turkey bourbon. 

• I like it 2

Is this actually age stated on the bottle?  Not being a jerk but I think they just talk about the age in the press release. If its actually on the labels even better.  I'll still probably try it either way

• I like it 2

31 minutes ago, VAGentleman said:

Is this actually age stated on the bottle?  Not being a jerk but I think they just talk about the age in the press release. If its actually on the labels even better.  I'll still probably try it either way

You know, I don't see it on the label. Just press release, website and marketing video.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=17241001000591

Edited by BDanner
  • I like it 1

Yeah just looked at the TTB filing that SKU posted way back when looks to be NAS actually and the proof that I thought was 90 is actually 86. I'm less enthused but still likely to buy it at least once.

• I like it 1

So the final stats are: NAS, 86 proof, $40 MSRP, main selling point is the filtration process... I don't know guys, I love WT but this one isn't looking too good on paper.

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Kpiz said:

So the final stats are: NAS, 86 proof, $40 MSRP, main selling point is the filtration process... I don't know guys, I love WT but this one isn't looking too good on paper.

People pay $100 for 10 year old Michters with a "Filtration Process" 

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

People pay $100 for 10 year old Michters with a "Filtration Process" 

I'm not saying it won't sell well...hell, I might still buy one if I find it for MSRP, I'm just saying that the stats aren't looking good so I'm setting my expectations very low.

• I like it 1

I'll pass.  I have no interest in anything under 90 proof.  There are so many great bottles to be had for less money, higher proof.  

• I like it 1

19 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I'm not saying it won't sell well...hell, I might still buy one if I find it for MSRP, I'm just saying that the stats aren't looking good so I'm setting my expectations very low.

Oh i agree completely I just can't pass up the opportunity to make a Michter's joke.

• I like it 4

7 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I'm picking one up today after work.

Looking forward to your take on it!

15 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Looking forward to your take on it!

Oh I'm not gonna drink it. I'm gonna flip it or put it in my Matthew McConaughey collection with my bongos.

I'm kidding!!!  I'll try it tonight if I don't have to go anywhere.

• I like it 2

Ok...so out the door for $34.75. Got it home and cracked it open after dinner. First thing I noticed is the light color. It's kind of a light copper with straw highlights that give it a yellow tinge. The nose is pretty sharp alcohol, even after 15 minutes in the glass. It smells higher proof than 86. Underneath the alcohol is some of that WT spiciness and a little smoke. There is also a cereal graininess that smells very young. It's hard to believe this is 8 years old. On the palate you get an initial alcohol bite with a rough edge to it. As that drops off there is a bit of sweet on the tip of the tongue and then the signature WT spice kicks in and tastes an awful lot like WT101 but somehow rougher around the edges. I dont really get that overall sweetness and smoothness that the press release touts from the filtering process.  Again it tastes like a younger brother to WT101. In the finish at the very end there is a distinct woody and smokey taste on the back of the tongue that is a bit unique. I assume that's the oak and mesquite charcoal filtering? The finish is probably the best part. At least it's the most unique part.

I feel like I took one for team on this one. Its definitely not something I'd buy again. I mean, its not terrible whiskey but I think it's a lot more marketing than anything else.

Edit: I did have a bit of OWA and a bourbon chocolate ball and then went back to this and I did get a softer, sweeter entry, then spice, and then the woody finish. It moved up a small notch. My wife liked it quite a bit more than me. She said it was soft on the entry and also noticed the woody/smoky finish.

20180411_202355-1209x1612.jpg

20180411_202327-1209x1612.jpg

20180411_211118-1512x2016.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 7

I guess they can call it 8yo, print in press release and marketing material that it's 8yo, but that means nothing if they don't put it on the label. I expect better from the Russel's, but I find it hard to believe that if this was really 8 it would be featured prominently on the label.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, BDanner said:

I guess they can call it 8yo, print in press release and marketing material that it's 8yo, but that means nothing if they don't put it on the label. I expect better from the Russel's, but I find it hard to believe that if this was really 8 it would be featured prominently on the label.

Any confusion regarding the age statement or lack thereof is not on the Russell's. You can blame the marketing and branding departments for that.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

Same thing with my ETL- very unimpressive at opening, then a brown sugar bomb. Patience my friends.

My ETL did the opposite. Delicious caramel and vanilla early on and after some time now it is mostly oak and alcohol

Wild Turkey's too damn good in its own right to screw it up with mesquite.  This is marketing BS, as well as an easy pass for me!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.