WT LongBranch

BDanner
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, flahute said:

Any confusion regarding the age statement or lack thereof is not on the Russell's. You can blame the marketing and branding departments for that.

Except for the fact that "eight year old bourbon" is a direct quote from the Russells in the video. That's my question. Do I believe them or assume since it's NAS that their statement is not true.

On 4/11/2018 at 9:28 PM, Clueby said:

I feel like I took one for team on this one. Its definitely not something I'd buy again. I mean, its not terrible whiskey but I think it's a lot more marketing than anything else.

I think the problem is you didn't use your new favorite glass...

Also, as others have mentioned, don't underestimate the power of new bottle syndrome.

Personally, I'd like to try it, but I'm going to stick to the Russell's Reserve.  I've never had a bad bottle of that stuff.

6 hours ago, 0895 said:

I think the problem is you didn't use your new favorite glass...

Also, as others have mentioned, don't underestimate the power of new bottle syndrome.

Personally, I'd like to try it, but I'm going to stick to the Russell's Reserve.  I've never had a bad bottle of that stuff.

The glass might be it!! I'll give it another shot this weekend. The wife actually liked it quite a bit.  I'll make sure you get a sample.

I'll probably take it on my upcoming fishing trip where the palate gets less discriminating. 

22 hours ago, BDanner said:

I guess they can call it 8yo, print in press release and marketing material that it's 8yo, but that means nothing if they don't put it on the label. I expect better from the Russel's, but I find it hard to believe that if this was really 8 it would be featured prominently on the label.

I fully believe if they say it's 8 years old that it is but the fact that it's not on the bottle makes it easy to change that in the future.  Saying it's 8 years old now sets that expectation but it doesn't mean it always will be and I'm guessing they won't be eager to tell everyone when/if it is no longer 8 years old.

• I like it 2

It says 8 years old on the Wild Turkey website. If that verbiage ever changes, then you’ll know. 

13 hours ago, Paddy said:

Wild Turkey's too damn good in its own right to screw it up with mesquite.  This is marketing BS, as well as an easy pass for me!

I was intrigued by this simply because it was WT then I saw the specs and intrigue became disinterest. I love WT as is (at least 101p+) I don't find it wanting for any mellowing, mesquite or otherwise. This just seems like an answer to a question no one asked, except maybe MM. I most definitely will be getting some 2018 101 given the most recent comments on it. RRSibBS, WT 101, WT rye, WT RB, WTKS, I am more than satisfied, carry on.

• I like it 2

This is definitely a product aimed at the non-enthusiast community in the same way as Basil Hayden for the "Smooth" is good crowd.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, flahute said:

It says 8 years old on the Wild Turkey website. If that verbiage ever changes, then you’ll know. 

Since there seems to be little to no communication between the folks at the distillery and the marketers, the website doesn't seem like it would be a reliable source for the most current information. Maybe you know something I don't, which I'll admit is often the case.

1 hour ago, Guss West said:

"All wrong, all wrong, all wrong."

That's funny.

• I like it 2

On 4/12/2018 at 3:32 PM, flahute said:

Any confusion regarding the age statement or lack thereof is not on the Russell's. You can blame the marketing and branding departments for that.

But if Eddie has that little say on something with his name on it that doesn't exactly give me any warm fuzzies either.

If it isn't on the label I find it disconcerting, whatever the press materials might say.

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, BDanner said:

I like where you're going with this.

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

But if Eddie has that little say on something with his name on it that doesn't exactly give me any warm fuzzies either.

If it isn't on the label I find it disconcerting, whatever the press materials might say.

I hear you. My point is: Eddie is not going to go on record on a video saying it's 8 years old if it isn't. We all want the assurance of the number followed by the word years on the label and without it nobody knows for sure, but, Eddie is not going to go on record saying it's 8 years old if it isn't. A year from now?....I'll need to hear him say it again to still believe it. Either way I'm not losing any sleep over it. It's $40 or less so age statement or not I'll judge it on how it tastes.

• I like it 2

20 hours ago, flahute said:

I hear you. My point is: Eddie is not going to go on record on a video saying it's 8 years old if it isn't. We all want the assurance of the number followed by the word years on the label and without it nobody knows for sure, but, Eddie is not going to go on record saying it's 8 years old if it isn't. A year from now?....I'll need to hear him say it again to still believe it. Either way I'm not losing any sleep over it. It's $40 or less so age statement or not I'll judge it on how it tastes.

Determining merit based on tasting it is always the best way to go! Just would always prefer clarity in labeling and Campari (in general) isn't winning me over in that regard. Makes me worry about things like Appleton 12. Didn't they recently replace the 8yo with the NAS "Reserve"?

I look forward to tasting it and drawing my own conclusions. 

I must admit it is a great looking bottle.  They did a great job on the video too.  What's wrong with bringing out a middle of the road bourbon for the casual drinker?  The average joe sees Wild Turkey 101 as a rough/cheap bourbon.  That's not the case, but it is the market perception of the everyman.  This is a great move by WT to create a bourbon that is popular with the masses.  Not a bad thing.  I doubt it stinks, and if the Russells say it is 8 years old, it is 8 years old. 

• I like it 5

Revisited this last night after having another high proof bourbon (FRSmBLE) and this time it did come across very smooth with a lot of vanilla.  Still tastes young to me but was exceedingly easy to drink last night.  Still got that smoky weird finish at the very end that I'm guessing is the mesquite.  Its very subtle but there. 

• I like it 1

I'm intrigued by an 8 yo WT in that price range.  I'll buy one to give it a try.  Could be something a little different than 101 to scratch my WT itch when I can't get Rare Breed. 

• I like it 1

I'm interested in trying someone else's.  For $40, 86 proof "allegedly 8 yr" WT doesn't get me excited.  For a few extra dollars, I think I'd be reaching for WTRB for my Turkey fix.  And while I expect to be disappointed, I'd love to discover it is amazing.

• I like it 2

^^^^Gary, Throw some mesquite chips in your next RB pour, and let us know how it is!  :lol:

• I like it 2

I tried this last night at the end of my bourbon clubs monthly meeting and thought it wasn't bad.  We already had a few barrel proof pours during our blind tasting session so maybe my palate wasn't in the best shape, but I found nothing offensive and thought it was surprisingly sweet for being wild turkey.  It's not going to make the earth move for anybody, but I'll be picking up a bottle the next time I see it. 

Edited by ThirstyinOhio
  • I like it 1

On 4/16/2018 at 7:47 PM, GaryT said:

I'm interested in trying someone else's.  For $40, 86 proof "allegedly 8 yr" WT doesn't get me excited.  For a few extra dollars, I think I'd be reaching for WTRB for my Turkey fix.  And while I expect to be disappointed, I'd love to discover it is amazing.

Agreed, if one appears somewhere I will certainly have a taste and I too would love to discover something really good there. There is a demographic this is intended for which and I am clearly not a part of it. As you stated 86 proof, "8 yrs",  OK and in the low 20s maybe, but at the 40.00 level? I am reaching for RB every single time. This new batch of 116 is something I am enjoying so much that I am not going to roll the dice on a diluted, mesquite smoked bottle at a similar price to RB.

• I like it 1

I'll probably buy a bottle because even though the proof is too low for my WT tastes and the Hollywood connection is silly, the mesquite thing really intrigues me.

• I like it 1

I had it at the same meeting as thirstyinohio, and after the other pours it tasted pretty standard to me. The nose however was very nice, and reminded me of the original Master's Keep. This smells a lot like Juicy Fruit gum

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bought a bottle yesterday and opened it this afternoon when Fishnbowljoe stopped by. First impression was pretty good, nothing special, but good. Oddly though, every sip thereafter was less enjoyable than the previous one. What was more confusing to me is that the nose kept getting better while the taste went south :huh:. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, maybe having pizza for lunch screwed me up, maybe I should've let it sit in the glass longer before tasting it. Who knows. Final decision is that I'll need to have another go at it and see if I was just having an off day. Btw....I never did pick up any mesquite notes.

I'll bring the bottle to Bardstown for anyone who's interested in trying it.

• I like it 1

Hard pass.  Sounds like a worse version of Jack.  Plus, Mr. McConaughey is on my list for suggesting gun owners should “take one for the team” and surrender their fundamental liberty.  I’m a WT fan, but won’t touch this.  I wish WT would end its association with him.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.