WT LongBranch

BDanner
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, Paddy said:

......meanwhile, smart shoppers continue to clear the shelves of RRSB and RB...

Indeed, smart shoppers sometimes do both. :)

IMG_2008.jpg

• I like it 1

The liquor store I go to sells a handle of WT101 for $24.99, pretty hard to get me to bite on Longbranch at $31.99.  But I did.... It was OK.... tasting back to back with WT101 it lacked the punch, obviously, but it at least did have a citrus smell I enjoyed.  The bottle will look nice on the shelf but I have no desire to buy more at this point.

It's plenty underwhelming. It lacks any character from the very soft nose, the palate is very subtle,  and finish is dry and quickly fleeting.

I'd imagine the purpose of Longbranch is to capture an audience outside of normal bourbon/American whiskey and introduce them to a "smooth" spirit rather than an exceptional one.

3 minutes ago, gcdc said:

It's plenty underwhelming. It lacks any character from the very soft nose, the palate is very subtle,  and finish is dry and quickly fleeting.

I'd imagine the purpose of Longbranch is to capture an audience outside of normal bourbon/American whiskey and introduce them to a "smooth" spirit rather than an exceptional one.

This seems to be a repeating theme of reviews, and that is not necessarily a bad thing.  Sounds like this can be added to what really is a pretty short list of “up-shelf” introductory bourbons for those new to the hobby.  For that reason, I am pulling for it’s success.  Not every bourbon should be designed to appeal only to the tastes of enthusiasts.  

• I like it 6

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2018 at 12:39 PM, smokinjoe said:

This seems to be a repeating theme of reviews, and that is not necessarily a bad thing.  Sounds like this can be added to what really is a pretty short list of “up-shelf” introductory bourbons for those new to the hobby.  For that reason, I am pulling for it’s success.  Not every bourbon should be designed to appeal only to the tastes of enthusiasts.  

I agree.  WT LB has been mentioned a few times here on SB lately.  While looking for some OE 101 7yr, I saw this AND a Virgin Bourbon (which I have not tasted) with which to do a SBS with my open OE.  First impression of WT LB:  thin mouthfeel, LOTS of spicy wood, LOTS of sweetness, alcohol bloom above its weight.  Wife does not like neat bourbons but BEGGED for an Old Fashioned made with,it.

My bottom line (after drinking four ounces while smoking riibs): Not bad for a casual sipper during the Summer.  IOW, I have four more grilldates in the next seven days.  I do not think the bottle will survive the week. So, I think this bourbon at its price is alrightalrightalrightalright, and I do not own a Lincoln.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
To be a smart ass.
  • I like it 6

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I agree.  WT LB has been mentioned a few times here on SB lately.  While looking for some OE 101 7yr, I saw this AND a Virgin Bourbon (which I have not tasted) with which to do a SBS with my open OE.  First impression of WT LB:  thin mouthfeel, LOTS of spicy wood, LOTS of sweetness, alcohol bloom above its weight.  Wife does not like neat bourbons but BEGGED for an Old Fashioned made with,it.

My bottom line (after drinking four ounces while smoking riibs): Not bad for a casual sipper during the Summer.  IOW, I have four more grilldates in the next seven days.  I do not think the bottle will survive the week. So, I think this bourbon at its price is alrightalrightalrightalright, and I do not own a Lincoln.

I love the smart ass version of Harry. And I like your reasoning for this one. I will pick one up. I am a Turkey head after all.

• I like it 3

Indeed, smart shoppers sometimes do both. [emoji4]

IMG_2008.thumb.jpg.2581a5e79da95b1e2f1fa6379241e2d1.jpg

Killing it with all the Genny Cream Ale.
  • I like it 1

On 7/14/2018 at 5:53 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Virgin 101 is rumored to be Old Ezra packaged for the overseas market. Interested on hearing your take as I can't get the OE, but I can get the Virgin.

5 hours ago, BDanner said:

Virgin 101 is rumored to be Old Ezra packaged for the overseas market. Interested on hearing your take as I can't get the OE, but I can get the Virgin.

Haven't opened either, yet.  We've been eating lots of charcoal grilled/smoked foods lately, and I've been waiting until we move back inside and resume eating bland food.  Rain the past two and the next several days should do the trick.

ON THREAD - Uh, while sipping on the WT LB over several days, I had several bouts of night-time heartburn.  I don't know if it was bourbon-related, food-related, Jelly Belly jellybean-related, or old age.  I am going to re-engage my affair with the LB tonight since we are back on indoor food for awhile.  If I start posting circa 4AM Eastern Time tomorrow, you'll know the answer.

On 7/23/2018 at 6:11 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Haven't opened either, yet.  We've been eating lots of charcoal grilled/smoked foods lately, and I've been waiting until we move back inside and resume eating bland food.  Rain the past two and the next several days should do the trick.

ON THREAD - Uh, while sipping on the WT LB over several days, I had several bouts of night-time heartburn.  I don't know if it was bourbon-related, food-related, Jelly Belly jellybean-related, or old age.  I am going to re-engage my affair with the LB tonight since we are back on indoor food for awhile.  If I start posting circa 4AM Eastern Time tomorrow, you'll know the answer.

Oh...I could eat a pound of Jelly Bellies. 

On 7/23/2018 at 12:53 PM, BDanner said:

Although, Old Ezra 7 and Virgin 101 are very similar whiskies, and most likely both distilled, aged, and bottled at HH, it is important to remember that OE is a Luxco brand where of course Virgin is a Heaven Hill brand.  So, Virgin can’t be OE packaged for the overseas market.

6 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Although, Old Ezra 7 and Virgin 101 are very similar whiskies, and most likely both distilled, aged, and bottled at HH, it is important to remember that OE is a Luxco brand where of course Virgin is a Heaven Hill brand.  So, Virgin can’t be OE packaged for the overseas market.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I'm not following that logic. Am I missing something? If HH can distill, age and bottle OE, then why can they not also bottle the same exact juice and label it as Virgin 101 in states where OE isn't available and overseas?

27 minutes ago, BDanner said:

I'm not following that logic. Am I missing something? If HH can distill, age and bottle OE, then why can they not also bottle the same exact juice and label it as Virgin 101 in states where OE isn't available and overseas?

Perhaps I’m misreading your opening sentence, but I take “Virgin 101 is rumored to be Old Ezra packaged for the overseas market.” to imply that they are both owned by one distillery (presumably HH?).  Regarding where Luxco or HH can sell their individual products is pretty much up to each of them, unless there is some sort of contractural protected markets arrangement.  

I think what Joe is saying is that OE is a brand/distillery that is owned, bottled and distributed by Lux Row Distillery. They currently buy bourbon wholesale from Heaven Hill and bottle it under the OE label. So, Virgin 101 cannot be an OE product under a different label, since Lux Row doesn’t own Virgin and HH doesn’t own OE.

I know this is in a way just semantics, since I agree that the source of the juice and the juice itself is likely very similar, since both bourbon products are sourced from HH. However, they are both bottled and distributed by two totally separate companies.

On 7/28/2018 at 5:37 PM, smokinjoe said:

Perhaps I’m misreading your opening sentence, but I take “Virgin 101 is rumored to be Old Ezra packaged for the overseas market.” to imply that they are both owned by one distillery (presumably HH?).  Regarding where Luxco or HH can sell their individual products is pretty much up to each of them, unless there is some sort of contractural protected markets arrangement.  

Got it...my wording was not the greatest. I simply meant that it was probably the same (or nearly the same) bourbon sold under two different names.

Tried Longbranch for the first time this week.  I thought it was smooth, but really didn't do much for me in the flavor department.  I would certainly drink it again if offered at a friend's house, but I don't see myself buying a bottle for home consumption.

• I like it 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/3/2018 at 7:54 PM, NDN98 said:

Tried Longbranch for the first time this week.  I thought it was smooth, but really didn't do much for me in the flavor department.  I would certainly drink it again if offered at a friend's house, but I don't see myself buying a bottle for home consumption.

My take as well.  It is Good, not great.  It is very smooth with somewhat muted and semi-sweet profile.   I can see how those new to bourbon would be drawn to it.  I'm happy with my bottle but, won't be replacing it.   

• I like it 1

Made Longbranch Old Fashioneds for happy hour at home tonight.  Having used mesquite when smoking various cuts of meat over the past few years (since it became readily available in chunks here), I think the heat I detect with Longbranch may come from the mesquite rather than from the bourbon itself.  I've stopped using it in smoking meats as it gives me heartburn.  ASIDE - LOTS of subjective experimentation by me as I get really anal when smoking chunks of beef, but . . .

YMMV.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.