Smooth Ambler Revelation

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I found two bottles of batch 2 in a store. 99 proof, 25 or so years old. Price was $100 per. I’m assuming this is significantly above retail. Reviews seem positive. Anyone who has had it care to weigh in? Thanks!

Revelation certainly has many fans here, including me. It's very flavorful yet balanced between the molasses, fruit, and funky notes. You're correct that $100 is above retail (it can be found in the $65-$70 range) but based on quality I think it's worth $100/bottle. Astor W&S has it for $64.99 though and I think they ship to MD: http://www.astorwines.com/SearchResultsSingle.aspx?p=2&search=33325&searchtype=Contains

• I like it 1

Definitely a bit tame to me for a Jamaican Rum but really good none the less.

Yes, it's like the Basil Hayden of Jamaican rum. The Barrell Batch 001 is a bolder expression for similar dollars and more proof to play with. 

Yes, it's like the Basil Hayden of Jamaican rum. The Barrell Batch 001 is a bolder expression for similar dollars and more proof to play with. 

I know I’m splitting hairs but I’d say Appleton 12yo is more like the BH of Jamaican rum. But you’re right, Revelation is not a funk bomb.
  • I like it 1

13 hours ago, Kpiz said:

I know I’m splitting hairs but I’d say Appleton 12yo is more like the BH of Jamaican rum. But you’re right, Revelation is not a funk bomb.

I'm going to piss in the Kool-Aid here and say that if there is a BH of Rum it's probably Real McCoy 12, Appleton 12 brings way more to the table than old Basil, while RM12 is a bit neutered to me and goes for a more premium price. Either that or go with Plantation 20th to cover the unremarkable bourbon in "upscale" packaging requirements. 

56 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I'm going to piss in the Kool-Aid here and say that if there is a BH of Rum it's probably Real McCoy 12, Appleton 12 brings way more to the table than old Basil, while RM12 is a bit neutered to me and goes for a more premium price. Either that or go with Plantation 20th to cover the unremarkable bourbon in "upscale" packaging requirements. 

Isn’t the qualifier ‘Jamaican’ rum and isn’t RM12 a Seale product?

• I like it 1

Upon further reflection, I think there may be better "Basil" candidates…

IMG_8988.thumb.jpg.f9e9d7f9c54ffd3a65b3d26eb824275f.jpg

• I like it 1

23 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Upon further reflection, I think there may be better "Basil" candidates…

IMG_8988.thumb.jpg.f9e9d7f9c54ffd3a65b3d26eb824275f.jpg

Certainly nails the proof and packaging!

5 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Isn’t the qualifier ‘Jamaican’ rum and isn’t RM12 a Seale product?

Missed that he said Jamaican there, guess my blind love for Appleton was in my eyes!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.