Any rums I should pick up on an upcoming trip to the Dominican Republic?

NDN98
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My wife and I will be heading to Punta Cana, DR in July.  It is our first trip to the Caribbean and I was wondering if there were any rums I should be on the lookout for that are not sold in the U.S. so I can bring a few bottles home.  I am new to the rum game, but finding I enjoy it as much as I do Scotch and Bourbon, but I am just not that familiar with it as I am the other two spirits.  I have heard that Havana Club is a good value, but wanted to get opinions from the experts/enthusiasts on this forum.  

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

If you want a DR rum then of the three “B”s of rum there Bermudez is probably less common in the US than the other two (Brugal and Barcelo). At least in my area. Whether it is better is hard to say.

I've not had it, but the Bermudez 1852 got a good review from The Fat Rum Pirate: http://thefatrumpirate.com/bermudez-1852-aniversario

I'd probably be more interested in bringing home Cuban rum than Dominican rum. Havana Club 7yo is worth at least trying to see if it's up your alley - it's a fairly uncomplicated and easy but enjoyable sipping rum, IMO. You can also look for the HC Seleccion de Maestros which is pretty decent. I haven't tried many other Cuban rums but I've heard that the Cubay and Santiago de Cuba lines are both worth trying.

Have fun! Let us know what you find.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.