Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kevinbrink

Larceny Barrel Proof

Recommended Posts

Kpiz

Sku's Recent Eats --> Sku's Recent Tweets eh? I like it. As an aside, Sku has also written a couple entries for the K&L Spirits Journal over the past two weeks.

 

Back to the Larceny, looks to be a single barrel product as well based on the label having a space for Barrel #. I'm in the same boat as you where my state has never (at least not during my adulthood) had OF BIB but we do have Larceny, so this seems promising. Now we just have to wait to see about availability and price.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute

Heaven Hill is doing a single barrel pick of barrel proof Larceny for the Bourbon Affair in June so this label might be for that.

I hope it's a regular thing but there's a possibility it's a one off. Like some others above I'm not a big fan of standard Larceny but there's the always the chance that a higher proof is more in my wheelhouse.

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

So HH is taking a page from Barton/Sazerac with the "Barrel Proof" moniker and bottling at 125 proof? Higher proof is always welcome but it seems like this has become a new marketing buzz word.

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
4 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Sku's Recent Eats --> Sku's Recent Tweets eh? I like it. As an aside, Sku has also written a couple entries for the K&L Spirits Journal over the past two weeks.

 

Back to the Larceny, looks to be a single barrel product as well based on the label having a space for Barrel #. I'm in the same boat as you where my state has never (at least not during my adulthood) had OF BIB but we do have Larceny, so this seems promising. Now we just have to wait to see about availability and price.

I thought it was punny ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

So HH is taking a page from Barton/Sazerac with the "Barrel Proof" moniker and bottling at 125 proof? Higher proof is always welcome but it seems like this has become a new marketing buzz word.

I believe (could be wrong) that proof on a TTB filing does not have to match the final product, 125 might just be a placeholder.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charlutz

I am not a larceny fan at all. Likewise did not like the one bottle of RY10 I bought. But... barrel proof always helps my palate find flavors I don’t get in the 90-100 range so I’ll be giving this a try if I get a chance. Maryland just got larceny this year so hopefully I’ll see it or one of my stores will have one for me.  I always keep an open mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

So HH is taking a page from Barton/Sazerac with the "Barrel Proof" moniker and bottling at 125 proof? Higher proof is always welcome but it seems like this has become a new marketing buzz word.

Hand written so I wouldn't draw a conclusion until a bottle is actually out there.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spade

If this is a regular release, I'm sure I'll buy a bottle assuming the price is reasonable. If it were in the ballpark with MMCS, I'd consider that reasonable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaulO

A while back, I sent an e-mail to Heaven Hill suggesting a barrel proof version of Larceny.  Now I can't be sure who, if anyone, read my message, or how many others suggested this too.

The one thing that confuses me is the barrel # on the label.  I thought the Larceny brand was all about being a batch of barrels of various ages? 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dannabis

That is something I'd like to taste

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GaryT

Whether true barrel proof or 125, I'd be anxious to try it.  I'm also not a big Larceny fan - it is a nice enough whiskey, but just not right in my wheelhouse.  Although with OWA being as scarce as hens teeth - maybe I need to learn to like it more :/ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
emr454

If I can get it for around the $60 locals are charging for WSR then I might bite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
12 hours ago, PaulO said:

A while back, I sent an e-mail to Heaven Hill suggesting a barrel proof version of Larceny.  Now I can't be sure who, if anyone, read my message, or how many others suggested this too.

The one thing that confuses me is the barrel # on the label.  I thought the Larceny brand was all about being a batch of barrels of various ages? 

Given the barrel selection they are doing for KBA, and an assumption this will be a regular offering, it's likely being added to the single barrel / private barrel program.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EarthQuake
Posted (edited)

I'm not a big fan of Larceny, it's not bad but just seems overly sweet and not very complex. I bet it would be better at a high proof, so this sounds real interesting. I also like Old Fitz 12 and the couple Rebel Yell 10 single barrels that I've tried. Does anyone know the typical age range for Larceny? If this was 8-10 years at barrel proof that would certainly get my attention.

Edited by EarthQuake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
2 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

I'm not a big fan of Larceny, it's not bad but just seems overly sweet and not very complex. I bet it would be better at a high proof, so this sounds real interesting. I also like Old Fitz 12 and the couple Rebel Yell 10 single barrels that I've tried. Does anyone know the typical age range for Larceny? If this was 8-10 years at barrel proof that would certainly get my attention.

Seen regular Larceny listed as a blend of both 6-10 and 6-12 year old bourbon and aged on floors 4-6, of course as far as I can tell from the bottle it's 4 years old ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madhatter

It could also be a gift-shop only release.  HH has a few of them like the 'grenade' offering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot

Good things happen to the taste of wheaters when they're proofed up. For example I usually prefer OWA to W12 despite the difference in age.

 

If this isn't a gift shop ransom bottle, I'd definitely be keen to give this a try.

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×