Larceny Barrel Proof

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sku's Recent Eats --> Sku's Recent Tweets eh? I like it. As an aside, Sku has also written a couple entries for the K&L Spirits Journal over the past two weeks.

Back to the Larceny, looks to be a single barrel product as well based on the label having a space for Barrel #. I'm in the same boat as you where my state has never (at least not during my adulthood) had OF BIB but we do have Larceny, so this seems promising. Now we just have to wait to see about availability and price.

• I like it 1

Heaven Hill is doing a single barrel pick of barrel proof Larceny for the Bourbon Affair in June so this label might be for that.

I hope it's a regular thing but there's a possibility it's a one off. Like some others above I'm not a big fan of standard Larceny but there's the always the chance that a higher proof is more in my wheelhouse.

• I like it 3

So HH is taking a page from Barton/Sazerac with the "Barrel Proof" moniker and bottling at 125 proof? Higher proof is always welcome but it seems like this has become a new marketing buzz word.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Sku's Recent Eats --> Sku's Recent Tweets eh? I like it. As an aside, Sku has also written a couple entries for the K&L Spirits Journal over the past two weeks.

Back to the Larceny, looks to be a single barrel product as well based on the label having a space for Barrel #. I'm in the same boat as you where my state has never (at least not during my adulthood) had OF BIB but we do have Larceny, so this seems promising. Now we just have to wait to see about availability and price.

I thought it was punny ;)

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

So HH is taking a page from Barton/Sazerac with the "Barrel Proof" moniker and bottling at 125 proof? Higher proof is always welcome but it seems like this has become a new marketing buzz word.

I believe (could be wrong) that proof on a TTB filing does not have to match the final product, 125 might just be a placeholder.

• I like it 1

I am not a larceny fan at all. Likewise did not like the one bottle of RY10 I bought. But... barrel proof always helps my palate find flavors I don’t get in the 90-100 range so I’ll be giving this a try if I get a chance. Maryland just got larceny this year so hopefully I’ll see it or one of my stores will have one for me.  I always keep an open mind. 

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Hand written so I wouldn't draw a conclusion until a bottle is actually out there.

• I like it 1

If this is a regular release, I'm sure I'll buy a bottle assuming the price is reasonable. If it were in the ballpark with MMCS, I'd consider that reasonable.

A while back, I sent an e-mail to Heaven Hill suggesting a barrel proof version of Larceny.  Now I can't be sure who, if anyone, read my message, or how many others suggested this too.

The one thing that confuses me is the barrel # on the label.  I thought the Larceny brand was all about being a batch of barrels of various ages? 

• I like it 1

Whether true barrel proof or 125, I'd be anxious to try it.  I'm also not a big Larceny fan - it is a nice enough whiskey, but just not right in my wheelhouse.  Although with OWA being as scarce as hens teeth - maybe I need to learn to like it more :/ 

12 hours ago, PaulO said:

A while back, I sent an e-mail to Heaven Hill suggesting a barrel proof version of Larceny.  Now I can't be sure who, if anyone, read my message, or how many others suggested this too.

The one thing that confuses me is the barrel # on the label.  I thought the Larceny brand was all about being a batch of barrels of various ages? 

Given the barrel selection they are doing for KBA, and an assumption this will be a regular offering, it's likely being added to the single barrel / private barrel program.

• I like it 1

I'm not a big fan of Larceny, it's not bad but just seems overly sweet and not very complex. I bet it would be better at a high proof, so this sounds real interesting. I also like Old Fitz 12 and the couple Rebel Yell 10 single barrels that I've tried. Does anyone know the typical age range for Larceny? If this was 8-10 years at barrel proof that would certainly get my attention.

Edited by EarthQuake

2 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

I'm not a big fan of Larceny, it's not bad but just seems overly sweet and not very complex. I bet it would be better at a high proof, so this sounds real interesting. I also like Old Fitz 12 and the couple Rebel Yell 10 single barrels that I've tried. Does anyone know the typical age range for Larceny? If this was 8-10 years at barrel proof that would certainly get my attention.

Seen regular Larceny listed as a blend of both 6-10 and 6-12 year old bourbon and aged on floors 4-6, of course as far as I can tell from the bottle it's 4 years old ;)

Good things happen to the taste of wheaters when they're proofed up. For example I usually prefer OWA to W12 despite the difference in age.

If this isn't a gift shop ransom bottle, I'd definitely be keen to give this a try.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.