Four Roses Tour - mention still size?

PowderKeg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got a little bored the other day and started putting a list with beer still diameters and areas together, based on C. Cowdery's recent posts on size and capacity rankings.  After perusing C's and many other's articles/posts, the only beer still I can't find a diameter for is Four Roses.  C's ranking has them at #7, and his ranking included future/intended capacity, so I'm assuming he included the ongoing expansion, which reportedly doubles capacity with an identical 2nd beer still (and all the trimmings/support).  Anyhow, by backing into it with the numbers for #6 (1x72") and #8 (3x36"), I'm swagging that 4R now has 2x48" or something very very close. 

Anyone been on a 4R tour - or read a reliable article/blog - where they stated the size?

Seems like something I knew at one point but has slipped out of my brain. I'm hoping to be at Four Roses next week and will ask if I have the opportunity.

2 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Seems like something I knew at one point but has slipped out of my brain. I'm hoping to be at Four Roses next week and will ask if I have the opportunity.

If your tour guy is a dude, divide by 2 any number he gives you when you ask him the size of his column..still...  ????

• I like it 3

6 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

If your tour guy is a dude, divide by 2 any number he gives you when you ask him the size of his column..still...  ????

Is that the rule now? I thought I was supposed to subtract three inches.

I've heard that the column size doesn't actually matter that much anyways, it's what they can do with it.

On 4/18/2018 at 7:14 PM, Kpiz said:

Is that the rule now? I thought I was supposed to subtract three inches.

I've heard that the column size doesn't actually matter that much anyways, it's what they can do with it.

Amen!!  But, OCD demands I finish the list...

I'm up in the Sacred City of Louisville now on a Bourbon & Thunder Pilgrimage.  Didn't even occur to me before the post, but I just might swing by 4R W&B for a quick tour/taste and see if they'll say on the return trip.

I know it's been discussed here, but I can't recall where and am too darn lazy to look for it. 

Steve, didn't you have this info posted in here somewhere at one time (or reference someone that did)?

15 hours ago, Paddy said:

I know it's been discussed here, but I can't recall where and am too darn lazy to look for it. 

Steve, didn't you have this info posted in here somewhere at one time (or reference someone that did)?

I did but can't find it. I know who to ask though.

If my memory serves, it's 36" dia. I need to verify however because my noggin is full of too much bourbon information at this point so I really need to start writing stuff down.

Edited by flahute
  • I like it 1

On 4/20/2018 at 2:53 PM, flahute said:

I did but can't find it. I know who to ask though.

If my memory serves, it's 36" dia. I need to verify however because my noggin is full of too much bourbon information at this point so I really need to start writing stuff down.

The only thing I have to go by right now is Chuck's ranking list, where he listed 4R at #7.   #8 is MM with 3x36".  If 4R has a pair of 36" (ain't that a great measurement for other, ahhhh, item pairs of interest...), then they'd fall in @ #11 with Bardstown Bourbon's pair of 36" 'ers.  Everyone computes out as C's ranking has them, so I'd be surprised if he's that far off on 4R.  The few pics I've seen of the original one just looks like it's bigger than a 36" too. 

Steak and eggs breakfast just arrived here at Selena's, so gotta go....

1 hour ago, PowderKeg said:

The only thing I have to go by right now is Chuck's ranking list, where he listed 4R at #7.   #8 is MM with 3x36".  If 4R has a pair of 36" (ain't that a great measurement for other, ahhhh, item pairs of interest...), then they'd fall in @ #11 with Bardstown Bourbon's pair of 36" 'ers.  Everyone computes out as C's ranking has them, so I'd be surprised if he's that far off on 4R.  The few pics I've seen of the original one just looks like it's bigger than a 36" too. 

Steak and eggs breakfast just arrived here at Selena's, so gotta go....

Just found some old photos. Looks to be 42" or 48". I was remembering a different conversation with regards to 36".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.