Booker’s 30th Anniversary

KyleCBreese
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 1/12/2019 at 2:09 PM, BigPapa said:

Same here.
South Burbs here

FYI, I just saw (and bought) one for the first time today in Minneapolis. $220

8 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

FYI, I just saw (and bought) one for the first time today in Minneapolis. $220

Nice! How many did your local store get? Not in MN, just curious. 

9 hours ago, Bambam said:

That specific location said they only got that one bottle. I’m sure the info is out there somewhere but I don’t think I’ve seen a total bottle count on this release to gauge how many might be around. Another store I go to got 2 bottles as far as I can tell so far.

6 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

That specific location said they only got that one bottle. I’m sure the info is out there somewhere but I don’t think I’ve seen a total bottle count on this release to gauge how many might be around. Another store I go to got 2 bottles as far as I can tell so far.

I’m on the east coast and a fairly large store near me (the one I go to) only got 2 bottles. I know they theoretically come in 6-bottle cases, but at least around me the distributors don’t seem to be giving whole cases to anyone.

Which points to a small release.

Did you manage to snag more than one bottle?

19 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I’m on the east coast and a fairly large store near me (the one I go to) only got 2 bottles. I know they theoretically come in 6-bottle cases, but at least around me the distributors don’t seem to be giving whole cases to anyone.

Only 1 so far. But, it is just being distributed locally and some of the stores I go to haven’t received theirs yet. I assume I’ll buy one more

5 hours ago, Bambam said:

The store I bought mine at got 6 bottles, it's not a particularly big or busy store either. 

10 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

The store I bought mine at got 6 bottles, it's not a particularly big or busy store either. 

I was told a few days ago by my local monger that his distributor informed him the State of Michigan received a total of 60-bottles.    Always questionable to blindly believe anybody within the trade but, not necessarily untrue on it's face, I'm afraid.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:02 PM, Bambam said:

FYI, I ended up picking a second bottle in the SW metro. That store is a decent sized place and I was told that they got 2 bottles.

I had also asked about it at Total Wine. They said the Chanhassen store got one bottle on the 16th and sold it right away, and the Bloomington store got one. As of when I had this conversation, on Monday, they said the other locations here hadn’t gotten any yet

I was at my local store and saw a bottle on the shelf. They were asking $400 for it. 

I would love to try it but I’m not sure that I want to pay twice retail. 

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2019 at 5:16 PM, ptman2000 said:

I was at my local store and saw a bottle on the shelf. They were asking $400 for it. 

I would love to try it but I’m not sure that I want to pay twice retail. 

It’s a lot of money but this one to my palette is top 3 all time that I’ve tasted. I was trying to find another bottle and may have done $400 and told myself it would average out to 300 apiece. Glad I didn’t have to make the choice lol. 

May have been sleeping on the couch for a while. 

Edited by Bambam

1 hour ago, Bambam said:

It’s a lot of money but this one to my palette is top 3 all time that I’ve tasted. I was trying to find another bottle and may have done $400 and told myself it would average out to 300 apiece. Glad I didn’t have to make the choice lol. 

May have been sleeping on the couch for a while. 

Do you mean 'top 3 Booker's Batches'... Or ...'top-3 Bourbons'... all time? 

I'm interested in your opinion. 

I like it quite well, and might be talked into top-3 BB's; but, I wouldn't go past top 25-Bourbons.   Just my opinion of course, and you may experience it in the same way... or differently.

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Do you mean 'top 3 Booker's Batches'... Or ...'top-3 Bourbons'... all time? 

I'm interested in your opinion. 

I like it quite well, and might be talked into top-3 BB's; but, I wouldn't go past top 25-Bourbons.   Just my opinion of course, and you may experience it in the same way... or differently.

There’s a tasting note that I can’t quite place with this dram but it puts it top 3 all time for me.

I know objectively it shouldn’t be ranked that high. Not sure what the note is, but it just sits perfectly with my taste buds. I guess for Booker’s the general consensus might be this, the 25, and the Rye, though I haven’t ever tried the 25.

But I prefer this to a lot of things I’ve tasted that most people would say I should like more. I know it’s weird. Can’t put my finger on the flavor that I get from it. Just like it haha

Edited by Bambam

12 hours ago, Bambam said:

But I prefer this to a lot of things I’ve tasted that most people would say I should like more. I know it’s weird. Can’t put my finger on the flavor that I get from it. Just like it haha

Hey!   You like what you like, right?!   :)

This is why the hobby is so enjoyable.   If we all liked the exact same things in the same way(s), what a boring hobby it would become.   Exploring the differences and subtleties, not only among Bourbons; but among our perceptions of them, is where the entertainment lies IMO.

As to that characteristic you're not able to pin down, perhaps others can help in that endeavor.   Care to take a stab or two at what it reminds you of?   Or what it brings to mind of previous experiences, or places, or times?   Thinking about those things can sometimes lead to a descriptor, or might help others assist you in finding a word or words.  FUN, Huh?

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

Hey!   You like what you like, right?!   :)

This is why the hobby is so enjoyable.   If we all liked the exact same things in the same way(s), what a boring hobby it would become.   Exploring the differences and subtleties, not only among Bourbons; but among our perceptions of them, is where the entertainment lies IMO.

As to that characteristic you're not able to pin down, perhaps others can help in that endeavor.   Care to take a stab or two at what it reminds you of?   Or what it brings to mind of previous experiences, or places, or times?   Thinking about those things can sometimes lead to a descriptor, or might help others assist you in finding a word or words.  FUN, Huh?

It is fun, indeed! I’ll take a sip this weekend perhaps and make an effort to describe. 

I think I must be approaching the "zen" phase.  I scored one bottle at retail from my regular and I didn't even ask for another bottle nor have I searched elsewhere for more.  No matter how good it is when I open it, I will probably be fine with only one bottle.  If I came across another at a good price of course I'd buy it.  I loved the Booker's 25th anniversary bourbon that I've sampled at bars but never owned a bottle.  And the Booker's rye in the bunker is one of my top prized bottles.  But there is so many great available whiskeys out there I'm starting to lose interest in chasing down the super highly allocated LE's.  The tater feeding frenzy is really turning me off, and I find that things like WT101, RB, RR, ECBP and 4R store picks are good enough.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.